FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Electrical Woes - Please Help!

Electrical Woes - Please Help!

One of my least favorite things to try and sort is electrical. For what it's worth, I do have a power-probe which usually makes testing a lot easier.

I am having a few issues, but I'll try to keep it to my top 3-4 here...Most surround something on the instrument cluster. (all but one)

I will start by saying that I bought a new PCB and LED kit (and 1 incandescent for charging) for the gauge cluster. This should be arriving today. I do not know if this is the source of my issues or not, but since the binnacle is out, I figured I might as well.

Issue 1.

Temp gauge.....It works sporadically. On my first drive out with the car, it worked perfectly...As I've been driving the car, sometimes it will work other times it will take itself back to 0. To me it sounds like a loose connection somewhere. Not 100% sure where. I have been planning on replacing the sending unit just because I have a new one, but despite watching videos, Googling photos, etc, I just cannot seem to find it at all.

Issue 2.

Oil Pressure Gauge.....This doesn't work at all...I read on here that you can test it by grounding out the wire coming all the sending unit....I did this and the gauge still doesn't move.

Issue 3.

Brake Light Stays on or off, no in between.

I have plenty of fluid in the reservoir, the bulb is good and I replaced the e-brake switch.....Sometimes it just stays off all the time, even if the e-brake is up, last night it came back on and is just staying on....I don't seem to be getting any response from the switch.

Issue 4.

Cluster/Instrument lights aren't working....Headlights, center console lights, parking lights, signals and hazards are all working, but no lights at all from the instrument cluster

Issue 5.

Otterstat

I've tried jumping the wires and replacing the otterstat, neither turns the fan on....Currently, I have a gator clip and when I am driving the car, I have the fans jumped directly to the battery from the blue fan fail relay socket and I am just unhooking them and hooking them up as I go.

I know this is a lot of little things. Any advice would be greatly appreciated....All the help is really bringing the car out of it's slumber.

My VIN:    03572

Wait till you get the new PCB for your first problems.

Check your fan relay (one beside the blue fan fail socket) for a pushed out pin or maybe a bad relay.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Thanks Dave....I really apologize for my ignorance because I did not take apart a lot of what I'm putting back together, but currently there is no relay in that socket...I'm guessing there should be?

Oh and PCB should be here today, So I'll do that this evening.

My VIN:    05457

Quote Originally Posted by Justin51982 View Post
    Thanks Dave....I really apologize for my ignorance because I did not take apart a lot of what I'm putting back together, but currently there is no relay in that socket...I'm guessing there should be?
    Yes, there should be a relay in the fan relay socket (#6 in the attached diagram). You may not have a relay in the fan fail, in which case there should be fused jumper wires instead. If you have interior LED lights, someone may have pulled your interior light dimmer as well.
    Attached Images
    David Proehl

My VIN:    3937

A word of caution Justin, be very careful you know which relay or module you are plugging into which spot as they are not all the same and can cause some bad news if not right. That "do not interchange modules" warning is there for a reason. Things get a little melty if not done just so.

Post pictures of your fuse and relay area and also a photo of the relays you have loose and the group can help you identify them. I do not suggest guessing until you know for certain which goes where. This is a pretty good portion of the car to have some patience on and not the "f%&k it, lets see if this works" portion.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    03572

That would make your fans not work via the otterstat and AC.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Wait till you get the new PCB for your first problems.

Check your fan relay (one beside the blue fan fail socket) for a pushed out pin or maybe a bad relay.
    Dave, you were right, replacing the PCB fixed issues 1,2 and 4 (Temp gauge, oil gauge and cluster lights)

It developed a new issue in that now my indicators and hazards work, but they aren't blinking on the gauge cluster.....

I am still having an issue with the brake light staying on and the otterstat issue.

So I don't have a relay in there, but I do have the correct relay from the relay update kit. I do not have a fan fail relay, so I guess I need to jumper it...Is there a photo or diagram of what I need to do there?

My VIN:    05457

Is there a photo or diagram of what I need to do there?
    Several of options for reference on this one:
    http://www.time-traveler.org/delorean/cooling.htm

http://i43.tinypic.com/5yumnq.jpg

David Proehl