FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New Automatic Transmission Filter

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

New Automatic Transmission Filter

After almost a year in development, the DeLorean now has an automatic transmission filter avaliable. I have had these made using the original Renault OE filter as a reference and I have tested this in my own personal car for close to 800 miles now with an inspection around 400 miles. The filter works perfectly. We have had a small production run of these assembled so we may go another few decades of keeping these automatic cars on the road. I have also sourced a magnet for those who don't have a filter at all in their auto boxes. The magnet is about the same size as OE, but this one is N35 neodymium which is much stronger than O.E. This was not a cheap venture for me at all, but we strived to keep the costs below $50.00 per unit and we did.

If you buy from me directly, The filter kits are $46.00 each. Each filter ordered includes one factory cork mounting gasket. If you would like a magnet, please add 1.00. Shipping is $3.00 for the first filter, and $1.00 for each additional filter. For example, If you would like to buy 2 filters, you would add $46.00x2, plus $4.00 shipping for a total of $96.00.

If you buy from me through eBay, the shipping is a little different, but close, also the magnet is automatically included.

You can buy them directly from me or through my ebay auction here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DeLorean-Aut...-/131571531236

8<snip>8

Just make sure your shipping address is up to date and leave a note to what you want (number of magnets, etc.) This option is good for those who want to order a bulk supply for overseas shipping. I can send a flat rate box for a fraction of the amount it would normally cost.

Here are a few pictures of the finished filters:

fl2.jpgfl3.jpgfl4.jpgfl5.jpg20150804_190942.jpgfl6.jpg
    Last edited by Michael; 08-06-2015 at 09:15 PM.

For those in mainland Europe, Ed Uding at DeLorean Europe is now stocking the transmission filters. If you buy from him, the shipping will no doubt be cheaper.

Almost forgot, for those in the U.K., you can buy them here and save on shipping as well. Better hurry, at last check they only had 4 left

http://www.deloreanclub.uk/automatic...on-filter.html
    Last edited by Michael; 08-19-2015 at 09:25 PM.

I sold out of filters on the ebay listing. New listing is here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DeLorean-Aut...-/131597394095

My VIN:    01955

If the exchange rate wasn't so terrible for me, I would be all over this.

My VIN:    Early

I bought the last 5 from the old ebay listing and received them on Friday. Let's just say, they look great! Finally, my poor car will have a new transmission filter.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

Quote Originally Posted by 81dmc View Post
    I bought the last 5 from the old ebay listing and received them on Friday. Let's just say, they look great! Finally, my poor car will have a new transmission filter.
    I'm very glad you guys are happy with them. They have been very well received and have been getting excellent feedback.

So far I have sold around 150 filters, about 50 through eBay alone so they are moving much quicker than I had planned. I literally spent sleepless nights when they first arrived. Nothing wrong with the order, It was when I actually laid eyes on the boxes of filters, right then it sank in the scope of the money I had spent and all the doubts start rising. As I opened one box it was exciting to see this filter which I had worked for almost a year to get and had not been avaliable for so long, but still the next few nights were complete anxiety and fear.

A few months later and all that fear and anxiety has disappeared.

I have received a message from one who have had to replace the entire valve body because they ran without a filter for so long. People have had their original factory filters clog up to the point of starving the transmission altogether. Others have had to pay for complete rebuilds and wanted to start out right with a fresh filter and a few more for the future services. And some are just now seeing 15,xxx on their odometer and want to do a proper transmission service.

Even with the positive sales, I will not be doing any more runs of filters. This was a one time deal and the truth is I don't make enough profit to justify making any more...especially considering the amount I risked. I did this mostly for the experience.

Thank you all again for the support!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DeLorean-Aut...-/131597394095
    Last edited by Michael; 09-17-2015 at 09:28 AM.

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

Just placed my order Thanks for undertaking this project!
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

My VIN:    First 700

At your current rate of sale how long do you think it will take to sell out? I would guess that there has been some hording by people getting multiples of them right now. I did get 2 off ebay, but was wondering if I should get another 2 in case we go another 10 years. I would think this is a part that should be selling like 500 to 1000 a year, if most people do the standard collector car over maintenance on fluids.
    Thanks for going to all the trouble with these.

Quote Originally Posted by Flicky View Post
    At your current rate of sale how long do you think it will take to sell out? I would guess that there has been some hording by people getting multiples of them right now. I did get 2 off ebay, but was wondering if I should get another 2 in case we go another 10 years. I would think this is a part that should be selling like 500 to 1000 a year, if most people do the standard collector car over maintenance on fluids.
    Thanks for going to all the trouble with these.

That's a tough question to answer since I have such a short history of sales. Pre sales were great but once they finally arrived the first few weeks or so was slow. Then it just busted loose. I have been selling these for probably about 6 weeks now and as of right now, I have sold a little over 150 filter kits and that was more than I was expecting to sell by now. Some weeks I will only sell 5 or 6, and take this last week for example. I sold 44 filter kits in the last 6 days alone. At that rate I would be completely sold out by Halloween.

Truth is I don't know when they will sell out but I am certain they will be sooner rather than later. As far as hoarding them, I don't know. Usually that type of panic behavior makes one buy more than they really need.

I am keeping 7 for myself. Right now I only drive about 3 or 4k a year, but in the past I have put 7 or 8k a year on my car and I may start driving it more often in the future so I want to be covered for the long term ownership. Try to think how often you drive your car and how long you plan to keep it, and buy accordingly. Most are buying 2 or 3 and some who are thinking really long term buy 5 or more. I guess it's up to the individual, after all if you never ever plan to drive it, you do not need any filters. The filter should be changed every 15k miles, (the fluid every other oil change according to vendors) so of you drive 7,000 miles a year, and plan to keep your car for awhile, I would have at least 3 for later because it took 30 years for some crazy guy to make these and considering the upfront cost and low demand, I just do not see these ever being made again.
    Last edited by Michael; 09-19-2015 at 11:38 AM.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast