FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Question About Stock/Original Radios

Question About Stock/Original Radios

While browsing Ebay, I ran across this original radio made by Audio Systems Incorporated (ASI)?? I've never seen this one before. I thought all stock radios were the Craig units. Did these ASI ones come in the later cars?

EBAY Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/delorean-car...1abe2e&vxp=mtr

My VIN:    3937

Quick answer is yes, the ASI radios came with later VIN cars and the Craig came with early cars.

Read through this:

http://maben.homeip.net/static/auto/...s%20Manual.pdf

On about page 3 of 16 (on the document page number that is, the PDF has about 35 pages) in section 1, part 10 "Interior" it mentions the radios, VINs and some other things (with photos).

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    15275

Not true...

I have vin 15275 which is an august of 82 build date and my car originally came with a craig radio.. its in the basement with all of my old delorean parts...

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Quick answer is yes, the ASI radios came with later VIN cars and the Craig came with early cars.

Read through this:

http://maben.homeip.net/static/auto/...s%20Manual.pdf

On about page 3 of 16 (on the document page number that is, the PDF has about 35 pages) in section 1, part 10 "Interior" it mentions the radios, VINs and some other things (with photos).
    Thanks for the reply and for the info. Interesting. Thanks very much also for the link to the Concours manual. Very cool manual! Lots of great info on originality and what to look for. I'm learning a bunch of new things from that manual! Great guide to have!

Quote Originally Posted by painterdave72 View Post
    I have vin 15275 which is an august of 82 build date and my car originally came with a craig radio.. its in the basement with all of my old delorean parts...
    Interesting. They might have put in whatever they had in stock on the shelf at the time as the Craigs were getting depleted? Maybe they had both at some point and whichever one the worker grabbed is what that car got?? Could be possible. Thanks for the reply.

My VIN:    16306

Quote Originally Posted by bxtech View Post
    Interesting. They might have put in whatever they had in stock on the shelf at the time as the Craigs were getting depleted? Maybe they had both at some point and whichever one the worker grabbed is what that car got?? Could be possible. Thanks for the reply.
    Well if his VIN is 15275, that means his 83 model year was originally an 82 model with VIN number 10275 prior to the Consolidated International purchase (all 15XXX, 16XXX, and 17XXX 83's were originally 10XXX, 11XXX, and 12XXX 82's). Since the ASI's were put in from VIN 10305 on, and VIN's 10001 - 10304 had the Craig, it makes sense that 15275 would originally have had a Craig.

My VIN:    15190

Question About Stock/Original Radios

My VIN is 15190 and I also have the Craig radio
    Last edited by mburshtain; 08-09-2015 at 10:10 PM.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by mburshtain View Post
    My VIN is 15190 and I also have the Craig radio
    That's the very late Craig radio with a clock in it.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    15275

cool

same one i have with the clock in the flip door..

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    That's the very late Craig radio with a clock in it.
    So there were 3 radios? I wasn't aware of this... Thought just a Craig with no clock (hence the "dash clock") and the ASI.
    So there was the Craig 1 with no clock function in the in the door display, Craig 2 with a clock function in the door display, and finally the ASI with a built in clock display.

Cheers
    Steven
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast