FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 28 of 37 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast

Thread: 4877 Ressurecting a bad girl...

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Hadnt planned on digging into the brake system deeply here..I've never overhauled one before..was something I was gonna be holding off til I got the car up for complete inspection and other oily work done up at DMCNW....
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Spent some more time under there today...

Checked out the master cylinder and it looks clean, though according to Toby its the original since it has the red thing on the end. The booster has a ton of rust and corrosion, so it looks that at least at one time it was leaking there.

Decided Im going to pull the fuel tank cause, while the damage doesnt look bad along the frame there, I just wanna make sure...plus it'll make hosing out the fuel tank a bit easier.

Tomorrow (29th) is my birthday if anyone wants to donate parts or stuff.....lol

But dangit...I'm taking more parts off again...lol
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Quote Originally Posted by Lwanmtr View Post
    Ok today was...annoying....

Jacked the front end up so I could start cleaning up the surface rust on the frame...got the wheels off..fyi, loosen the lugs prior to lifting the car..luckily I have a ryobi impact drill that was able get them loose..hehe.

Here's some pics...looks pretty good under there, yeah? read on.......

Attachment 52230Attachment 52231Attachment 52232Attachment 52233Attachment 52234Attachment 52235Attachment 52236Attachment 52237

Even the rotors are looking decent...just some surface rust..no grooves or anything like that...I'll be changing brake pads while the wheels are off this time around..

Attachment 52238Attachment 52239

Ok..so on to the first order...removing the fuel tank closing plate..went pretty easy..only had to use secret sauce on two of the bolts and even those released quickly..Yaay..or so I thought..wrangled it free and when it finally dropped there was floof of material that dropped out...yikes...I got this...looks messy, eh?

Attachment 52240Attachment 52241

Ok..here it is after 2 hours of hitting it with a wire wheel and a chisel...looks like the rust has pretty much taken over...Does it look at all salvageable? Guess I'm adding another $300 to my list....

Attachment 52242Attachment 52243

Popped back under the car to try and get a lil better pics of the frame on that side...looks like its pretty much surface rust there..I'll know more tomorrow after I get in there with the wire wheel.

Attachment 52244Attachment 52245

Does the closing plate look like it may have been a coolant leak in there? the worst is on the topside of it.

ahh well....

Looks like you've got your hands full as well! Anyways, Happy Birthday!

Hehe...yeah a little...I hadnt planned on getting this deep into it, at least not until after it was inspected up at dmcnw....but kinda glad I am cause this way there will be less for them to write down on the 'need fixed' page...hehe.

Thanks..depending on what family might have planned, I'll be spending time wrestling the fuel tank out today.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Ok..a little change in plan....

Got the coolant pipe loose and was disconnecting the wiring, fuel lines, etc from the tank to let it drop, then realized I cant reach the vapor line behind the fuel filler...sooo, since there's no real reason right now to drop it, I'm just gonna leave it because the corrosion doesnt seem to go very far up and I can easily apply the por15 up in there.

On the plus side, I discovered why I was getting fuel smell when the car was on...the guy who put the fuel pump in hadnt fully tightened the end that screws into the pump.

Is the fuel line supposed to have a different connector than the return line (that pokes into the rubber boot)?

Tomorrow I'll probably work on hitting the frame with the wire wheel.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Started on the fuel tank...

Got the pump out, found it was missing the clamp that secures it to the boot, so I'll have to get that.
    Cleaned the hoses and baffle (what is that for aside from baffling people as to why it's there?)

Looked inside..well ok, pointed my phone around in there and took pics...Actually looks pretty good aside of some orange rust color stuff on the sides and some debris on the bottom...no thick sludgy stuffs..

The gas, which I got about 2 gallons out was a nice pretty brown color with the lovely aroma of vinegar..lol

Tomorrow I'll get the noxious part of the job knocked out...got me a gallon of acetone and shop towels....gonna fashion a scrubber from a toilet brush (thanks to an idea that someone else in another post came up with)..i have a face thingy so I'm just huffin' fumes..and gonna have to remember to open up every door in the garage...hehe.

Here's a tip, If you're gonna pump the gas out with a manual pump, jack the front up so the tank is an angle, then it all runs down to the narrow end (just be sure to put it on stands)
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Yesterday I got in there and cleaned out the tank....yaay for a filter mask and gloves or i'd prolly have brain damage...lol. Sorry I didnt get any pics inside.

Previous owner had left the connector on the fuel pump loose and there was no clamp holding it to the metal thing on the boot so it was just sitting in there..and explains why I kept smelling fuel.

The fuel lines are like sooper stiff (and orange)..never could get the access panel to sit flat..hopefully when I put pump n stuff back on it will be in the right orientation so I can.

20170630_160501.jpg

Cleaned the parts...the baffle was a pain to dig the gunk outta the grooves.

20170630_192238.jpg

Got clever and decided to assemble the baffle before stuffing it into the tank....yeah, that worked..ended up having to take it all apart anyway and spending 20 minutes assembling it all by braile inside..lol

20170701_165939.jpg

Oh...and here's the tool I made so I didnt have to stick my arm way inside the tank and get stuck. Worked as is for scrubbing, then for mopping stuff up I duct taped some shop towels around the end (wipe, repeat, wipe, repeat...).

20170701_190913.jpg

Still smells like gas in the garage, hopefully once I can get a new clamp and get the pump back in that will go away...on the plus side, it doesnt smell like bad gas..or the acetone I used to clean the tank.

Course it's gonna stay dry until I get the new transmission filter in and actually go to start her again.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

gas tank wires

A trick I did when putting the baffle/pickup screen/wires in
    was to drill four tiny holes on the top edge of the baffle and
    thread the hold down wires through them. That absolutely
    keeps everything in place with no moving around....

Thats a clever idea...if I ever have to pull it out again I'll remember that...hehe.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

4877 Ressurecting a bad girl...

Your orange hoses are from PJGrady. They have been known to fail ( break ) where the hose is pushed onto the fitting barbs. especially the feed line at the hard line connection. About 10 years seems to when the failure starts to show up but can vary greatly. I don't If Rob still sells that particular type of hose anymore, since the trend now has shifted to the Combo Pump Module units that come with the high Pressure Fuel injection hose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DMC5180; 07-02-2017 at 06:57 PM.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Page 28 of 37 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast