FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: VIN 4365 Project

My VIN:    4365

VIN 4365 Project

This one has been in the family since 1985, unfortunately, its been sitting in a garage since ~1989. It was driven into the garage one fall, just wasn't pulled back out in the spring. Each year it sat, the more work was required to get it out again. It has become my project to get her back on the road again.

Current condition:
    The body is in great shape, the interior is in great shape as well. No cracks or rips in the seats or dash. The engine however is ceased.

The first order of business is to get the engine to turn. While the engine is soaking, I'll take a look at the fuel (tank, pump, lines, injectors, etc). I'm hoping I don't have the pull the engine right away. I'm sure it will be inevitable though.

Just a couple of pics for now. I've got her in storage for the winter as I don't have a shop. Its a bit cold here in the north to work on her now.

I'm following http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?14...-s-20-year-nap as it sounds like a similar situation.

IMG_20161113_142808434_HDRscaled.jpgIMG_20161123_151049483scaled.jpgIMG_20161123_151106292scaled.jpg

More pics and updates after the winter thaw!

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Love to hear about more cars coming out of moth balls. More pics indeed.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    2706

Very similar story to mine lol. My motor is siezed currently working a replacement . I have been allowing the cylinders to soak with a 50/50 mix of atf/diesel for 2 weeks. Either way I am gonna pull my block. Congrats !
    Last edited by powerline84; 12-30-2016 at 01:49 PM.

Hows progress coming for yah ?

She's in cold storage right now. I don't have a shop and when the ambient temperature is about zero, it's no fun working on cars. If the weather warms up a bit, I'll go out and grab some pics. I'll take a look at a few things like the fuse box and see what I might need in the future. That way I can start to acquire parts I will need.

Thanks for checking in!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Sorry it's been a while, but I finally pulled her out of storage today. I think the frosty season is behind us here in the northern climate.
    IMG_20170415_140815058.jpgIMG_20170415_141650792.jpg

We got her loaded and put into the garage. Not much work was done today. We were able to pull out the spark plugs and poured some ATF / acetone mixture into the cylinders. I'll let that soak for a while to see if we can break the motor free.
    IMG_20170415_150408760_HDR.jpg

I did a quick inspection of the fuse block and things look good there. I'll do a more thorough look when I get some time. I'll still want to look into updating the fan system though.

Next step I think is to look at the fuel system. I'm sure I'll need to do some work there.

We keep adding ATF and acetone to the cylinders without any movement. I'll keep adding and hopefully I'll get something to move one of these days.

I took a quick look at the fuse block today and it is in great shape! I'll take the win while can.

IMG_20170418_201236288.jpg

It doesn't look like there was anything bypassed nor does it appear anything got melted.

Good news today, I managed to get the motor to budge slightly! I ended up moving the motor slightly and poured more ATF into the cylinders. I didn't try to push my luck and rotate it completely. I will move it a little bit each day and eventually get her all the way around.

Needless to say, it was another successful day here!

I've got lots more with to do before I can fire it up!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Nice! I can tell you that once I broke down my Siezed block the bottom end actually turned fine, what was locked up and extremely rusty was the timing chains and the cams.

Quote Originally Posted by powerline84 View Post
    Nice! I can tell you that once I broke down my Siezed block the bottom end actually turned fine, what was locked up and extremely rusty was the timing chains and the cams.
    That's good to know. I'll add to the list to take a look at those items before I try to fire it up.

Thanks!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast