FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 12 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast

Thread: 4877 Ressurecting a bad girl...

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Oy.....

The plot thickens....or rather the rust strikes back....

Last night I put some super releaser rust breakin stuff...works awesomely...'cept here.. I started to undo the nuts holding the spolier...the first one I tried sheered..too easily. I looked at what came off and its like the nut and stud were almost one thing. So I decided not to go further, cause I dont wanna do any more damage. I have a feeling the rest are probably going to be about the same...Is it possible to replace those studs?
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Results...Finally

Today was finally a bit more progress....

Removed the headlights and was able to get up under there to hold the nuts to remove those bolts on the top of the fascia.
    After talking to Toby, I decided to just go for it and undo the nuts holding the spoiler....3 of the studs survived...which means I'll have to figure out how to drill the broken ones out (im not all that skilled in that area). Who decided to put a nut right behind the washer resivior?
    The fascia came off no problems....once I located the stud on the left and the actual nut on the lower right holding the thing (which no one ever mentions)

heres a pic with the headlights finally out...

IMG019.jpg

Thats when my bill jumped up.....seems I'll be needing a new impact absorber on the front.... Dont suppose anyone has a gently used one they dont mind donating?

IMG020.jpg

I'll post some pics of the spoiler, fascia and rockscreen tomorrow

Gonna spend tomorrow taking off the headlight mounts and cleaning that area up a bit.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Pulled all the headlight mounts and cleaned the 31 years of dirt and grime from the front. You can see a lil better just how bad the impact absorber is...more crumbled as I was cleaning.

IMG021.jpg

Tomorow Im gonna get the headlight brackets painted and get more done on diagnosing why I dont have turn signals
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    4519

Things are shaping up man, I think digging into an area like that is a great way to stay motivated. When you're finished with the cleaning & painting the brackets, it'll feel like a leap forward.

One of the first things I did with 10372 was remove an old alarm and normalize the hacked wiring. I felt pretty accomplished after I completed it and I was ready for the next task.

Enjoy!

Yeah, trying to keep the motivation going doing a bit each day...I just dread when I get all lil things done and am just left with the bits that require the big-ish money..lol
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Today was another casual day....

Painted the headlight mounting thingies and the lower mounting bracket for the rear fascia (not sure it'll ever bee straight again).

IMG022.jpgIMG027.jpg

Took off the front impact absorber and cleaned that area up a little. Funny...Toby at DMCNW said there were 4 bolts...workshop manual says five...there were only 2 holding mine on...and no other places where bolts woulda gone. I also tore off the rest of the foam from the metal bar...Are these useful to anyone?

IMG025.jpgIMG026.jpg

Im thinking to remove the rear impact absorber tomorrow. Looked closer and its split right in the middle, so it wouldnt do very much if hit there, except fold.
    Where are the bolts holding that in?
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Latest stuff...Over a few days I cleaned up (a bit) the rear impact absorber.

filled some of the larger cracks with cheapo foam..didnt really need it structural, just to fill and help protect from moisture a bit.

IMG031.jpg

Then I put a couple of coats of plastidip on the whole thing.

IMG035.jpg

And Put it back on the car..

IMG036.jpg

Also, decided...just because...to put a couple strips of duct tape on there (mostly cause I always joke about fixing the car with the stuff).
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    4519

Quote Originally Posted by Lwanmtr View Post
    Latest stuff...Over a few days I cleaned up (a bit) the rear impact absorber.

filled some of the larger cracks with cheapo foam..didnt really need it structural, just to fill and help protect from moisture a bit.

IMG031.jpg

Then I put a couple of coats of plastidip on the whole thing.

IMG035.jpg

And Put it back on the car..

IMG036.jpg

Also, decided...just because...to put a couple strips of duct tape on there (mostly cause I always joke about fixing the car with the stuff).

I started on the same project yesterday....

One of the easiest bits I've had to do...hardest part is getting the socket on the bolts to remove the thing
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Got my screws, sockets and new tail light boards...put all those in. Have to replace one of the high beam lights, the glass bubble inside was rolling around..lol.

FrontLights.jpgMarker1.jpgMarker2.jpgTail.jpg

Started taping to paint the trim and gills, gotta get more tape so I can tape the paper to cover the rest.....lil side note, if you wanna make your delorean stand out, put frog tape racing stripes on it, you'll get lots of attention.

Taped-1.jpg
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Page 12 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast