FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 21 of 37 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 ... LastLast

Thread: 4877 Ressurecting a bad girl...

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Today was kinda productive..in an odd sense... Yeah I pulled more parts off (this keeps going im gonna have a pile of parts and no car..lol)

Took the binnacle and dash pad out...lil adventure... Got 4 of the 6 nuts off the binnacle and couldnt get the other 2..I didnt have anything that could get on them...so I went to home depot and picked up a couple of wiggly wrenches (ratcheting for you techy types)..and a couple bags of moss killer (it is home depot after all)..Got back under there and tried for a while to get the last 2 nuts...they just kept spinning...then I felt around a little more..discovered I was trying to take the wrong nuts out..after thar binnacle came out easy..

The dash pad wasnt difficult either..though I'd love to smack the numpty that decided to put two nuts in the center where its nigh impossible to get into.

Looks all clean without the nasty binnacle and pad....

20170428_182932.jpg

Once I got it out, the dash pad looks a bit worse than I had thought....

20170428_182957.jpg

The binnacle is in awful shape too. I even tried to pull some of the loose cooked vinyl off. Gonna have to decide which direction to go now.

20170428_184017.jpg20170428_184717.jpg

I also pulled what I assume was the remnant of some critter's nest out of the ducting too (sorry no pics of that).
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    4519

Looking like progress now!

Be sure to put that black plastic column cover thing in a safe place where it can't get accidentally stepped on or damaged, they're pretty hard to replace.

I started repairing my binnacle a few days ago, it's going well. I think yours can be repaired too, but would be more of a "re-surface."

Hehe...yeah progress in taking it apart.

The column cover needs fixed, was broke when I got it. Yeah, they are NLA. I may try to build up the broken bits, or Toby says they've repaired them before too.

Yep, my binnacle will need a complete recover, which will be around $400 probably.

Im going to try and repair the dash pad myself, but not sure if I want to try and recover the whole thing..never undertook something like that..hehe.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Quote Originally Posted by Lwanmtr View Post
    Hehe...yeah progress in taking it apart.

The column cover needs fixed, was broke when I got it. Yeah, they are NLA. I may try to build up the broken bits, or Toby says they've repaired them before too.

Yep, my binnacle will need a complete recover, which will be around $400 probably.

Im going to try and repair the dash pad myself, but not sure if I want to try and recover the whole thing..never undertook something like that..hehe.
    I fixed my column cover, it's A-OK now. Post pics of yours, if any of it is like mine was I'll let y know how I fixed mine.

From what I can see in the pics, your dash can easily be fixed. When I'm done with my binnacle I'll show you pics of the procedure that'll work good for a dash.

Ill take some pics of the column cover tomorrow.

Yeah, would love to see any method to fix the dash pad.

Today I just did some more cleaning on parts with acetone to remove more dirt and grime. Time to order more trim black and find the right color vinyl paint..
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Ill take some pics of the column cover tomorrow.

Yeah, would love to see any method to fix the dash pad.

Today I just did some more cleaning on parts with acetone to remove more dirt and grime. Time to order more trim black and find the right color vinyl paint..
    Here's a video of a method that might work well on the dash, I'm trying it on my binnacle since I only had a crack down the center:

It requires a plastic-welding iron; if I didn't have one I'd likely try using 3m flexible bumper repair, I used it on my rear fascia and really like it:

IMG_4748.jpg IMG_4788.jpg

Thanks for the video link, Ill definately check it out. Though I dont have a plastic welding iron....hehe.

Here's a pic of my column cover (pay no attention to the nuts n washers..hehe). The screw holes are broken of near the wheel end on the top part and it looks like there is a threaded metal insert near the back, one of which is missing (dunno if this was some po attempt at repairing. The bottom looks ok.
    While I had the parts out, I decided to clean all the dirt off and am going to toss a couple coats of paint on the parts.

20170430_150904.jpg

Also a sticker, faded which gives me a date for my car... 10-23

20170430_151356.jpg

Painting the cover for the coil and connector block area too..looked pretty ratty.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

I think the brass inserts are OEM, mine had them too but things were broken similar to yours.

I'm pretty sure these are the ones I used (with matching screws,) they fit almost perfectly:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Crown-Bol...1008/203088625

I modified them a bit; I snapped off the "tabs" that makes a slot for installing with a screwdriver, then used a screw with a nut on it to thread them into the OEM holes.

Have to repair the other holes too, which means I gotta build up material..but I dont have a reference of a correct one...hehe.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Have to repair the other holes too, which means I gotta build up material..but I dont have a reference of a correct one...hehe.
    You can see what it's supposed to look like based on what remains on yours, but here's a pic of mine during the repair process so you can get an idea of what I did:

IMG_4476.jpg

I test-fitted using the column as a "jig"

Page 21 of 37 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 ... LastLast