FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Starter Won't Crank after Relay Install

My VIN:    05457

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    I have seen bad grounds on the front relay bank so maybe you have a bad ground on the rear bank. Anyway, easy to test with an ohm meter. Test for less than one ohm on the starter relay ground lug to the common ground at the back of the relay compartment.

Those relay sockets "daisy chain" the ground wires on each relay bank and the crimps with those double wires get flaky over time.
    Also, I tested the ground as suggested, it was .1 ohm. Seems like a solid ground.

Just to be clear to anyone reading this, Bitsycmaster's relay had nothing to do with the trouble I'm having. Originally I thought I messed up the install and shorted something myself, but now I'm thinking now the starter is the issue. Once I get my starting issue sorted I'll be reinstalling his relay.
    David Proehl

The new starter has arrived and I'm back from vacation and continuing troubleshooting.

Facts:
    • New starter also doesn't fire
    • New starter will not run when 12v applied directly to solenoid lead (small sparks fly on contact, so there must be a circuit created)
    • Rest of car has power (lights, etc) so I know the cable direct from the battery to the starter has juice
    • I can run the old starter on a bench when attached directly to a 12v battery. Just can't do that when on the car. Starter doesn't seem to be the issue.

So knowing my starter is good, it has power, and applying a direct 12v signal won't force a start, what could be going on?
    Last edited by DavidProehl; 08-24-2015 at 08:15 PM.
    David Proehl

My VIN:    16409

I was thinking it seemed odd, you just developed a starter problem all of a sudden. Re-check all the wiring in the relay compartment. Maybe your circuit breaker died?
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

Quote Originally Posted by Chris 16409 View Post
    I was thinking it seemed odd, you just developed a starter problem all of a sudden. Re-check all the wiring in the relay compartment. Maybe your circuit breaker died?
    Great idea. I swore I've checked them 1,000 times, but I checked again. I found that I had bumped one of the wires off the circuit breaker. Now I hear a single click from the starter but still doesn't sound like it is trying to start beyond that.

I may just try throwing the old starter back in. Maybe I didn't install the new one properly.
    David Proehl

My VIN:    2347

I would check your grounds and check how many amps you have when cranking. Could be a bad battery or connections on battery are loose. Check battery voltage on the battery when you are trying to crank on it.
    Last edited by davidc89; 08-24-2015 at 09:04 PM.
    Everyone is tough through a keyboard

Quote Originally Posted by davidc89 View Post
    I would check your grounds and check how many amps you have when cranking. Could be a bad battery or connections on battery are loose. Check battery voltage on the battery when you are trying to crank on it.

SUCCESS!

I removed and reattached all the wires to the new starter, it now fires up! Thank you everyone for your help on this. Feeling pretty stupid that this was all likely caused due to me knocking one of the brown wires off the circuit breaker and not noticing it.
    David Proehl

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by DavidProehl View Post
    SUCCESS!

I removed and reattached all the wires to the new starter, it now fires up! Thank you everyone for your help on this. Feeling pretty stupid that this was all likely caused due to me knocking one of the brown wires off the circuit breaker and not noticing it.
    I recommend replacing those "quick connects" with ring terminals.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    I recommend replacing those "quick connects" with ring terminals.
    That is a really good idea. There is no reason for them to be quick connects. it isn't like they ever need to be touched. After this event, anything I can do to keep things wired as they should be is a good change!
    David Proehl

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2