FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Digital Door Lock Control Unit

My VIN:    2347

Digital Door Lock Control Unit

I am looking at getting the Digital Door Lock Control Unit, but I can't really find what it actually does. The description doesn't really help much. Can someone can give me an overview of it?

Thank you.
    Everyone is tough through a keyboard

My VIN:    05457

I have one installed. It replaces your original black box door lock module. It sends the signal to your power locks to lock or unlock. Also comes with a fob for remote unlock and has an "option" hook up to fire off one other thing you might hook to it (door popper or bonnet popper). Toby also sells a similar unit with 2 option channels (for left and right door poppers).

I just use it for remote door locks. Well worth it in my opinion to not mess with door keys.
    David Proehl

Correction: The box doesn't come with the keyless entry, you have to buy that separately.

Here is the link to the keyless entry addition: https://store.delorean.com/p-7207-re...ess-entry.aspx
    David Proehl

Ideally I would like to hook up the Wings-A-Loft system, but what I am really wondering about is what is the advantage of the digital module over the standard. From what I read it has a diagnostic system on it, I just am looking for a bit more clarification on that.

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by davidc89 View Post
    Ideally I would like to hook up the Wings-A-Loft system, but what I am really wondering about is what is the advantage of the digital module over the standard. From what I read it has a diagnostic system on it, I just am looking for a bit more clarification on that.
    Original door lock ECU is prone to burning the relay contacts inside the ECU which may cause the power to the solenoids to stay on and burn the solenoids.

New designs use "digital" voltages on the relay coils so they don't have the burning contact problems.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    07000

Quote Originally Posted by DavidProehl View Post
    I have one installed. It replaces your original black box door lock module. It sends the signal to your power locks to lock or unlock. Also comes with a fob for remote unlock and has an "option" hook up to fire off one other thing you might hook to it (door popper or bonnet popper). Toby also sells a similar unit with 2 option channels (for left and right door poppers).

I just use it for remote door locks. Well worth it in my opinion to not mess with door keys.
    Do you have the Zilla door lock module? I looked on Toby's site and didn't see anything aside from the remotes and door poppers.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Timebender View Post
    Do you have the Zilla door lock module? I looked on Toby's site and didn't see anything aside from the remotes and door poppers.

Greg
    http://www.delorean-parts.com/Mercha...ode=K2500DP-CC

Quote Originally Posted by Timebender View Post

Greg
    No, I have the DMCH digital module. The remotes and door poppers from Toby are what I'm talking about though. It is a similar unit to what Houston sells, but with additional channels to support the door poppers.
    David Proehl

My VIN:    07000

And Toby's seem to be less expensive too...

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

I've had the DMC unit for 2 years and am happy I bought it.
    My OE module was still OK but I wanted to eliminate the module's standby drain and get a remote function. No comment on Toby's since I did not look into it.

Benefits:
    1. Almost no standby current drain, unlike the OE door lock module. The car is now happy for more weeks between starts in the wintertime without a bump-charge.
    2. Reliable door unlock signals, no risk of original door module relay failure.
    3. Capable of remote unlocking. Brings the car up to date if you go for the optional remote fob option.

It is plug-and-play. Has not let us down yet. I leave my early-VIN door key at home on trips since I went for the remote fob option.
    Expect a door lock/unlock sequence with this upgrade. Instead of both lock solenoids firing at once this module delays the second door lock/unlock signal a second or so after the first one goes off. Reduces inrush current, not a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by davidc89 View Post
    I am looking at getting the Digital Door Lock Control Unit, but I can't really find what it actually does...Can someone can give me an overview of it?
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast