FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Fixing Fuel Leak

Mostly Harmless... refugeefromcalif's Avatar

My VIN:    6599

Fixing Fuel Leak

Got a question, (Of course), Two days ago I thought I smelled gas in the cabin with the A/C running. It came and went depending on if I was cruising on the highway or parked.
    Today while out shopping the smell was constant so, after I got home I removed the cover over the pump and found this...

My question.
    Where does this fuel line go? A Local splice would fix it but, I'd rather have all New hose from the originating point to the splice I have on my check valve.
    FuelLeak01.jpg

FuelLeak02.jpg

Thanks for any help!

George
    Last edited by refugeefromcalif; 08-15-2015 at 05:40 PM.
    George.

1974 BMW RS90 motorcycle
    1981 DeLorean. Cruise Control, Wings-A-Loft, Eibach springs, Spax shocks, Stage1 exhaust, Manual, Grey and Grooved, LED clock and fixed pulls.
    1993 del Sol S (With a Few, Upgrades)
    2017 Chrysler Pacifica Limited

My VIN:    03572

Someone else had one of those fuel hoses leak. I think we found it was defective hose. Can you read the printing on the hose?
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    3937

Have a look at this George:

http://www.delorean.net/pdf/kits/107000P.pdf

The store page description (http://store.delorean.com/p-10569-fu...er-module.aspx) doesn't show the inline check valve on either of the two hoses in the photo, but I suspect this is installed on the supply side (pump outlet side not return side).

Your still photo in the thread seems to show this. I suspect that just out of view you will find that single hose with the hole in it just bends back around and basically goes from the check valve to the (white) connector on the top of the pump/sender combo unit.

As Dave mentioned, read the hose type and then get an appropriate replacement. I am sure others here or at DMCX can tell you or sell you the proper replacement hose. The replacement work should not be very difficult however I would not recommend driving the car any more until this is fixed as that could be a very unhealthy hazard with fuel spraying all over and that hole will tend to get bigger over time and not smaller.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Putting a splice in is a very temporary kind of patch. If that hose popped a leak there it will very soon pop another somewhere else. You do not want to fool around with fuel leaks, they can cost you your car. Get the right kind of hoses and replace all of them. Do it ASAP.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    16409

Judging from the green writing on the hose, it is most likely Gates brand fuel injection hose. You can get it at O'rielly.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

Mostly Harmless... refugeefromcalif's Avatar

My VIN:    6599

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Someone else had one of those fuel hoses leak. I think we found it was defective hose. Can you read the printing on the hose?
    Here's a pic of the writing on the old hose. It came with new the combo unit. (DMCF installed it).

FuelLeak04.jpg

As can be seen, the hose is 2 1/2 years old but looks like much older. (Too many cracks).

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Have a look at this George:

http://www.delorean.net/pdf/kits/107000P.pdf

The store page description (http://store.delorean.com/p-10569-fu...er-module.aspx) doesn't show the inline check valve on either of the two hoses in the photo, but I suspect this is installed on the supply side (pump outlet side not return side).

Your still photo in the thread seems to show this. I suspect that just out of view you will find that single hose with the hole in it just bends back around and basically goes from the check valve to the (white) connector on the top of the pump/sender combo unit.

As Dave mentioned, read the hose type and then get an appropriate replacement. I am sure others here or at DMCX can tell you or sell you the proper replacement hose. The replacement work should not be very difficult however I would not recommend driving the car any more until this is fixed as that could be a very unhealthy hazard with fuel spraying all over and that hole will tend to get bigger over time and not smaller.
    Johnathan, Thanks for the link to the new .pdf!
    I had a copy of the old one but, the new one has a bit more info. I did add an inline check valve after my combo was installed, I was having Hot Start problems. It fixed it Fine.
    The car was parked until fixed today. (I don't want to use the fire extinguisher that I carry)...

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Putting a splice in is a very temporary kind of patch. If that hose popped a leak there it will very soon pop another somewhere else. You do not want to fool around with fuel leaks, they can cost you your car. Get the right kind of hoses and replace all of them. Do it ASAP.
    Taken care of. No splice, (Except where my check valve is)...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris 16409 View Post
    Judging from the green writing on the hose, it is most likely Gates brand fuel injection hose. You can get it at O'rielly.
    I don't know what brand the original was but, Here's the replacement hose I bought from O'Reilly today, (and installed).

GatesFuelHose01.jpg GatesFuelHose02.jpg

Thanks again All!

George
    Last edited by refugeefromcalif; 08-16-2015 at 04:59 PM.
    George.

1974 BMW RS90 motorcycle
    1981 DeLorean. Cruise Control, Wings-A-Loft, Eibach springs, Spax shocks, Stage1 exhaust, Manual, Grey and Grooved, LED clock and fixed pulls.
    1993 del Sol S (With a Few, Upgrades)
    2017 Chrysler Pacifica Limited

My VIN:    16409

Yeah the Gates hose is good. That's what the vendors are supplying now I belive.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California