FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SEM Trim Black Failure

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

SEM Trim Black Failure

About two years ago I refinished my louver, engine cover, and front window trim with SEM Trim Black.
    The procedure for all 3 pieces of the windshield surround was the same. Stripped to bare metal, coasted with self etching primer, and then several coats of the SEM trim black from a spray can.
    A couple of weeks ago I discovered this...

IMG_4280.jpg

The side pieces are fin - no cracking or crazing. I know the top is stainless steel and the sides are aluminum. Is this the effect of too much expansion and contraction from the heat of the sun? Anyone else seen this or have theories?

Cheers
    Steven
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Not enough prep with tiger blood for "winning" results.

I see paint fall off these pieces on a lot of cars, including mine. Perhaps it's the just the physics these pieces have to endure?
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    Not enough prep with tiger blood for "winning" results.

I see paint fall off these pieces on a lot of cars, including mine. Perhaps it's the just the physics these pieces have to endure?
    Yeah... I'd be curious to measure temperature differentials between the side trum and the top to see if the steel retains more heat than the aluminum. Or if the metal just moves more...

Cheers
    Steven
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Quote Originally Posted by mluder View Post
    Yeah... I'd be curious to measure temperature differentials between the side trum and the top to see if the steel retains more heat than the aluminum. Or if the metal just moves more...

Cheers
    Steven
    This is common on these components if costs are not consistent. You also need to provide at minimum a red scotch beet pad scuff finish to the primer.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by DPI JOSH View Post
    This is common on these components if costs are not consistent. You also need to provide at minimum a red scotch beet pad scuff finish to the primer.

It is either improper prep or too many coats of paint. Hard to tell from the picture.
    David Teitelbaum

Young Padawan With The DeLorean kings1527's Avatar

My VIN:    6575

The only place I didn't have the best results with Trim Black was on the windshield trim. It was very difficult to get the paint to adhere well to the stainless trim. It's held up decently over the past two years or so but I'm definitely going to take them to an autobody shop and have it done right. Someday.

Alex Abdalla

Late 1981, Grey 5-speed, 75k miles. Built 11/11/81

A stock-look with modern, reliable technology.

A full restoration with step-by-step "what I did" is in progress at www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com

My VIN:    2964

So I am about the tackle this. I sanded the fiberglass body section using 220 sandpaper then a green pad to smooth it out. Then I degreased everything and washed everything off. Everything is taped off.

I bought SEM Trim Black Primer in a can not aerosol http://www.summitracing.com/parts/smm-39671 and another can in the SEM Trim black paint to top it off http://www.summitracing.com/parts/smm-39141

I will be doing the fiberglass body, trim around the front windshield, license plate trim, plastic pieces on stainless panels, radiator cover, rear engine cover and louver, and the engine air box.

PLEASE give me any pointers or recommendations, as I want this to go correct and not have any problems now or in future.

I do have a few question.

1. The primer can writes 25-30 psi from non-HVLP, 8-10 psi from HVLP. I bought a spray gun from Harbor Freight http://www.harborfreight.com/heavy-d...gun-97855.html The gun writes to use between 60-115psi. Now what would I adjust my air compressor to in this case??

2. 2-3 light coats, 5-10 minutes flash time. I take it they mean each coat should be within 5-10 minutes and all that depends on the temperature? Here in NY its high 80's and dry, no humid these past few days.

3. Topcoat after 1 hour and within in 24 hours. What do they mean by that exactly, topcoat after 1 hour of finishing the primer or if not within 1 hour to wait 24 hours later??

If someone can explain in details, I want everything to go right.

Thank you very much!!
    Last edited by 1batt4u; 08-02-2015 at 03:42 PM.
    Billy C. VIN: 2964

"Trying to Live the Dream!"

"If you're gonna own a DeLorean, why not build it with some style?"

http://www.facebook.com/billy.chingas.7

Young Padawan With The DeLorean kings1527's Avatar

My VIN:    6575

Quote Originally Posted by 1batt4u View Post
    So I am about the tackle this. I sanded the fiberglass body section using 220 sandpaper then a green pad to smooth it out. Then I degreased everything and washed everything off. Everything is taped off.

I bought SEM Trim Black Primer in a can not aerosol http://www.summitracing.com/parts/smm-39671 and another can in the SEM Trim black paint to top it off http://www.summitracing.com/parts/smm-39141

I will be doing the fiberglass body, trim around the front windshield, license plate trim, plastic pieces on stainless panels, radiator cover, rear engine cover and louver, and the engine air box.

PLEASE give me any pointers or recommendations, as I want this to go correct and not have any problems now or in future.

I do have a few question.

1. The primer can writes 25-30 psi from non-HVLP, 8-10 psi from HVLP. I bought a spray gun from Harbor Freight http://www.harborfreight.com/heavy-d...gun-97855.html The gun writes to use between 60-115psi. Now what would I adjust my air compressor to in this case??

2. 2-3 light coats, 5-10 minutes flash time. I take it they mean each coat should be within 5-10 minutes and all that depends on the temperature? Here in NY its high 80's and dry, no humid these past few days.

3. Topcoat after 1 hour and within in 24 hours. What do they mean by that exactly, topcoat after 1 hour of finishing the primer or if not within 1 hour to wait 24 hours later??

If someone can explain in details, I want everything to go right.

Thank you very much!!
    I did everything out of a spraycan for my project, which was pretty much the same as what you have going on. With the exception of the windshield trim, as I mentioned before, I used a different adhesion promoter and everything has held up real well over the past three years or so which obviously includes multiple washes.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...HWW86J8RTD56Y5

I'd recommend wiping the area down after sanding with acetone to really strip and clean the area down to the base. As with any kind of painting, prep is key. Trim Black goes on real thin so if you have any kind of sanding marks left behind, TB won't cover it up. So be sure to finish everything off with a real fine grit. It sounds like you did with the green pad. In other words, whatever you have left behind is what you'll have after the application of TB.

TB dries real fast. I was applying a coat and then another around 10-15 min later. I'd keep doing that until I'd decided that I'm happy with it. As with any kind of painting, use several light coats rather than a heavy coat.

Also, if your air box is really bad to begin with, consider just buying a new one instead. That's what I ended up doing. Those don't really clean up well, even with TB. But you might as well give it a try since you have all the equipment set up.

http://store.delorean.com/p-6352-air...-assembly.aspx

Good luck. Believe me, TB is incredibly forgiving and easy to work with. It'll look pro when you're done.

Alex Abdalla

Late 1981, Grey 5-speed, 75k miles. Built 11/11/81

A stock-look with modern, reliable technology.

A full restoration with step-by-step "what I did" is in progress at www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com

My VIN:    2964

Thank you for the info!!

What kind of acetone do you recommend?

What I mentioned above about priming and then topcoating. Do I wait an hour later or 24 hours later?

Thank you again!
    Billy C. VIN: 2964

"Trying to Live the Dream!"

"If you're gonna own a DeLorean, why not build it with some style?"

http://www.facebook.com/billy.chingas.7

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

+1 David T, on the cracks shown in the OP being too many coats of paint (at the same time. "Checking"/"Crowfoot").

=====

Billy,

I'm not a pro-painter by any means, but $.02:

1. The primer calls for 25-30 psi from non-HVLP (the type you purchased) and the gun calls for 60-115psi. Not a good match (out of working range).

2. 5-10 minutes flash time means you should wait 5-10 minutes between coats.
    When the primer dries to a point where it is still wet enough for the next coat to bond well, yet dry enough to apply another coat without running, you can usually see it flash (sometimes a subtle change in color-shade).

3. Topcoat after 1 hour and within in 24 hours means to wait at least one hour for the primer to dry and apply the top coat (color), but have it done before 24 hours.
    Too soon, you dissolve the primer, etc. Too late, you don't get a good bond...
    Last edited by Ron; 08-02-2015 at 11:55 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast