FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Goodbye Red - VIN 10499

My VIN:    10499

Goodbye Red - VIN 10499

Recently purchased the car from original owners. Painted Red in 1982, garaged from 1990 - 2008. Was the fathers car and son pulled it out and had extensive work performed by DMC Florida (Nearly $30k) Restoring, suspension, stage 2 ect.. It was vinyl wrapped in red over the original paint instead of stripped. I liked the red but I really wanted the original stainless. Researched various options and ended up renting a soda blasting machine and doing it myself. I was a little scared about potential damage under the paint but I got lucky. Damage to front passenger fender had some bondo but it was mostly to fill sanding scratches and not too bad. Various light sanding marks where rough paint was taken down to ensure vinyl looked good (my guess, as adhesive was applied to the vinyl in these spots making it a major bastard to remove)

Anyhow, i'm getting close. I have a guy at a metal shop working on the fender, the bumpers being repainted and in the mean time i've been pulling things off, cleaning and replacing rusty hardware with new stainless hardware.

IMG_4673.jpgIMG_4678.jpgIMG_4746.jpgIMG_4910.jpgIMG_5129.jpgIMG_5121.jpgIMG_5102.jpgIMG_5104.jpgIMG_5105.jpgIMG_5109.jpgIMG_5110.jpgIMG_5149.jpgIMG_5150.jpgIMG_5153.jpgIMG_5154.jpgIMG_5155.jpgIMG_5156.jpgIMG_5216.jpgIMG_5219.jpgIMG_5148.jpgIMG_5220.jpg

Kind of an aside, but I didn't realize until your photos here just how much the mirrors are part of the lines of the car.

Good work so far. I'll be following if you continue to post.

Quote Originally Posted by Xopher View Post
    Kind of an aside, but I didn't realize until your photos here just how much the mirrors are part of the lines of the car.

Good work so far. I'll be following if you continue to post.
    They really do don't they? Thanks man! I will keep posting as things progress

Oh and some updated headlights. Some sealed LED 4x6 for the main headlights and some cheaper 4x6 for high beams. Big difference!

IMG_4828.jpgIMG_4813.jpg

My VIN:    16951

Club(s):   (DCO) (DOA) (DCUK)

Congratulation on your purchase, I remember this car was on ebay a few months ago.
    You did an awesome job by removing all the red paint!

Quote Originally Posted by Domi View Post
    Congratulation on your purchase, I remember this car was on ebay a few months ago.
    You did an awesome job by removing all the red paint!
    Thanks! The soda made quick work of it. Shooting the nozzle at the panels basically erased the paint right back down to the original grain. Made quick work of the whole car in 3 hours or so. I didn't do the bumpers for a couple reasons, I heard soda blasting on those can cause some issues with paint if not prepped right prior to painting and the soda really bounced off when I shot at them, lol. Right back into my face! I also didn't do inside the doors. I didn't want to remove them, and I didn't want soda getting in the car or inside the door panels, stripping that with aircraft stripper has been a real nightmare. I got the drivers side mostly done.

My VIN:    3937

Nice job! Do you think the car had been in an accident up at the front right quarter in the past?

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Nice job! Do you think the car had been in an accident up at the front right quarter in the past?
    Hard to say for sure, the fiberglass and all mounting hardware look good under and no indication of damage. There was a black mark rubbed into the side indicator with a hairline crack. I suspect the fender was damaged by rubbing up against something in a parking lot at some point.

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by MNT250 View Post
    Hard to say for sure, the fiberglass and all mounting hardware look good under and no indication of damage. There was a black mark rubbed into the side indicator with a hairline crack. I suspect the fender was damaged by rubbing up against something in a parking lot at some point.
    Only reason I asked was when seeing that fender removed and then assuming it's the one with the stereotypical "bondo under paint." Couldn't tell, but one picture had what looked like a crease in the fiberglass behind that fender. These cars are notoriously hard to photograph to really show them in detail. That's a good thing though too in many cases!!

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Only reason I asked was when seeing that fender removed and then assuming it's the one with the stereotypical "bondo under paint." Couldn't tell, but one picture had what looked like a crease in the fiberglass behind that fender. These cars are notoriously hard to photograph to really show them in detail. That's a good thing though too in many cases!!
    Yeah it had a grapefruit size spot that was roughly sanded and bondo'd to fill the scratches so I just pulled it off and took it to a shop for repair. It's just a metal shop that does all kinds of stuff including automotive they seemed really confident they could repair it even though they never have done any DeLorean panels but said its no different than the stainless they work with all the time. Heard back this afternoon and they want us to come in before they proceed because they are going to tig weld a spot with a few little pin head marks.. Starting to think I shouldn't have taken it there.

You have me second guessing, lol I should go look at the fiberglass to be sure! I think its a reflection in that side picture though.

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Wow. Looking good. I never liked them in red..or yellow (hmm..anyone seen them in green?).

Hopefully I can get my interior looking as good as that (or at least passable)..hehe.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast