FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Conversion project: Turbo VR6 + manual transmission

My VIN:    #1283

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Conversion project: Turbo VR6 + manual transmission

I invite you to visit my blog where I am documenting the transformation of my Delorean from stock to a turbo charged 350HP/ft lb VR6 engine and switch to manual transmission. I did a lot of the sourcing and prep work myself but the main actor is of course Ed Ghesquiere and his company SEO Motorsports.
    Check it out!:
    http://deloreanvr6conversion.blogspot.com/

Henrik

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Very cool!! That flywheel and clutch setup is awesome!

I noticed that you are using the 10 spline input shaft. Did your car have that originally or did you decide to convert to the 10 spline from the 21 spline? If so I'm just curious what the reason was. Looks awesome and I cant wait to see this baby on the road!!

EDIT: Actually I just remembered that, like mine, your car was originally an automatically. I didn't consider the fact that the transmission you purchased could have come with the 10 spline shaft. Just keep in mind that in the future, if you're ever in need of some of the random internal transmission parts, some of them are a little bit different. Thats why on the DMCH website a lot of transmission components are listed twice. Some are for the Renault 369-03 (your transmission), and some are for the 369-08 (the more common one). Honestly though, it seems like part availability wise, they have a bigger inventory of parts (at least online) to support the -03 than the -08. Anyway, probably nothing to really worry about.
    Last edited by Nicholas R; 08-20-2015 at 07:34 PM.

My VIN:    10499

Super awesome, thanks for sharing! I'll have to keep an eye on this, really interested to see things as they progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    Very cool!! That flywheel and clutch setup is awesome!

I noticed that you are using the 10 spline input shaft. Did your car have that originally or did you decide to convert to the 10 spline from the 21 spline? If so I'm just curious what the reason was. Looks awesome and I cant wait to see this baby on the road!!

EDIT: Actually I just remembered that, like mine, your car was originally an automatically. I didn't consider the fact that the transmission you purchased could have come with the 10 spline shaft. Just keep in mind that in the future, if you're ever in need of some of the random internal transmission parts, some of them are a little bit different. Thats why on the DMCH website a lot of transmission components are listed twice. Some are for the Renault 369-03 (your transmission), and some are for the 369-08 (the more common one). Honestly though, it seems like part availability wise, they have a bigger inventory of parts (at least online) to support the -03 than the -08. Anyway, probably nothing to really worry about.
    Yep, you're right. I am switching from auto to manual so the tranny I ended up with was just the luck of the draw. Thanks for the part# info!

Conversion project: Turbo VR6 + manual transmission

The blog has been updated with the latest on fitment of the starter, pilot bearing adapter and the slave cylinder:

http://deloreanvr6conversion.blogspot.com/

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Sweet!! That VR6 is a potent motor. I drove a yellow Corrado VR6 back in the day when the motor first came out, and I got the car going fast enough to make the windshield wipers dance around a bit in the wind.

I can't even imagine a Turbo version!

Congrats on the progress.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Jason

I love the look of the VR6 in the engine compartment. So clean and neat looking. VR6 also sounds good too.
    "I decided a couple nights ago that I'm going to own a delorean within 5 years"
    "Dude,have you ever been in one before, they are crappy"

My VIN:    10499

I love it. Really good idea with the oil filter, turned out amazing. If I ever do a swap i'd like it to be something like this. Making an amazing car all that more reliable, easier to work on and just an overall clean look. Bravo!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast