FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Weird electrical issue

My VIN:    16245

Weird electrical issue

I’ve been running 16245 daily for a month after my restoration. Everything is fine until today.

I’m getting a weird electrical issue when I turn on the AC. The voltage gauge drops to about 13 volts, the tach gauge goes crazy. The radio reboots itself. No work was done and nothing was altered. Maybe loose grounds wire(s) somewhere?

It is intermittent. Sometimes it happens and sometimes it does not.

I also can see the lights and night slightly fluctuate with engine RPM. No biggie but is it related?

I have a new alternator (Hervey 150amp unit) and AC compressor.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Jeff

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

Just to help troubleshoot, disconnect the two wires going to the otterstat sensor, its in the bottom of the coolant pipe under the AC compressor, near the dipstick, and be prepared to jumper them together with a short piece of wire or wire with alligator clips, etc.

Start the car and leave the ac off, then turn the cooling fans on and off by shorting the two otterstat wires perhaps 10 times, to see if this fritzes out the system...

When your done carefully plug the two wires back onto the terminals on the sensor, either wire on either terminal.

Also - unrelated, but check to make sure there is a cable tie going around the coolant pipe that holds the otterstat in place - this is not related in any way to your problem but if your new to the car its worth noting as long as your hands are on the sensor anyway.

Let us know if the problem is only when you turn on the AC, of if it occurs when you trigger the fans... its a quick way to eliminate half the culprits.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Certainly sounds like a bad connection/ground problem *somewhere*. Start with checking the main grounding points, the one on the front,top of the crumble zone radiator support and the one in the console by the radio. You should also check all of the "big" connections on the battery, starter, alternator and frame.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    03572

If your dash gauge shows 13 volts when this happens I would have to agree with the others, you have a bad connection somewhere.

Try removing the bulkhead connectors and stick them back in again then test. So many problems with those bulkhead connectors.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    If your dash gauge shows 13 volts when this happens I would have to agree with the others, you have a bad connection somewhere.

Try removing the bulkhead connectors and stick them back in again then test. So many problems with those bulkhead connectors.
    I appreciate all the info.

Dave, sorry to ask.. where is the bulkhead connectors? It's not the ballast
    Ignition Resistor with the three connectors right?

Also, is there a photo posted of the ground areas and what they should look like?
    Thanks all!

Jeff
    PS - WOW - I'm I having fun driving this thing around town. It's like driving with Paris Hilton in Los Angeles! I will make an in depth post about my one month experience soon.

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by JeffKay View Post
    I appreciate all the info.

Dave, sorry to ask.. where is the bulkhead connectors? It's not the ballast
    Ignition Resistor with the three connectors right?

Also, is there a photo posted of the ground areas and what they should look like?
    Thanks all!

Jeff
    PS - WOW - I'm I having fun driving this thing around town. It's like driving with Paris Hilton in Los Angeles! I will make an in depth post about my one month experience soon.
    In the box with the ignition coil is a bunch (five or six) connectors plugging into the pontoon wall. Those are the bulkhead connectors.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    In the box with the ignition coil is a bunch (five or six) connectors plugging into the pontoon wall. Those are the bulkhead connectors.
    Gotcha! Thanks!