FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hail damage?

My VIN:    16882.

Hail damage?

How many people have had hail damage to your DeLorean? How bad was it? How does how damage to the stainless compare to other cars? How did you repair it? Thanks.

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Hail damage?

Hail dent repair would be the same as any minor ding repairs in the stainless. But it also must be in an area that can be accessed from the back side. Although sometimes a stud gun will be used in difficult spots.The difference between stainless dent removal and paintless dent removal is the need for re-graining and blending. To really have it done right, you need to take it to a DMC servicing business. The other factor is whether it can be covered under an insurance claim. If you bought a car with hail damage its at your expense. With the tools in the hands of the right person they can typically work out a single minor dent in 15-20 minutes per dent. However, each car will have its own unique set of issues.

Major hail damage (golf ball and larger) may not be completely fixable.
    Last edited by DMC5180; 08-23-2015 at 01:31 PM.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    500 ft pounds torque.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I own a paintless dent repair company, and can tell you from experience, stainless works very differently that steel or aluminum. I have repaired several deloreans with pretty bad damage, including fenders almost folded in on themselves. I would not let any paintless dent repair company work on your car, unless they are very experienced with stainless repair. I'm good at it, but only because I'm an owner, and had access to practice panels as well as several owners cars. Stainless takes more time to work, and since reflections on the steel are weak you either need to oil the panels or use a shade lamp. The average hail job runs 2500 to 4000 on a normal car, and would be more expensive for a delorean. That said, I would find a vendor, as finding a pdr guy around you, experienced with stainless is going to be tough. You will probably need to go through insurance unless the dings are minor. You would be very surprised how well the stainless will repair, IF you know what you're doing. Like I said, I have fixed some DEEP dents and creases, that on a normal car would have been to stretched for repair, but on the delorean, could be repaired.
    Soundkillr was here.

My VIN:    500 ft pounds torque.

just an fyi, here is a photo of a repair I did. On a normal car, this would have been way to streched, and oil canned. On the Stainless however, its another story. Wish I had an after VERY close up, but cant find it. I also included a simple door ding, with a deep scratch. The door ding was a 10 minute job, the 1/4 panel was about 3 hours....image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
    Soundkillr was here.

Looking at that 1/4 panel makes a person wonder what would cause damage like that. Although it kinda looks like someone attempted to work it out.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    Looking at that 1/4 panel makes a person wonder what would cause damage like that.
    A cement block for a garage door stop + a kid + weeds + a Bush Hog. Ask me how I know.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    Although it kinda looks like someone attempted to work it out.
    No. that pic is as was... One might as well take a close up pic of a new 1/4 to see the after -- Excellent job Ben, thanks again!
    Last edited by Ron; 08-23-2015 at 02:49 PM.

Your car?
    DENNIS

hail damage

Great work on the stainless. ! was hit on the left front fender by a deer once with major damage. I sent the car to DMCH and they repaired the damage and it looks good as new. Yes in the hands of a pro stainless can be repaired. Andy B

Yeah...going on 2 years ago (not my kid tho lol).

Another after:
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Ron; 08-23-2015 at 03:00 PM.

Excellent work. It looks like there was some other damage at the bottom of the wheel arch. Did that get fixed too? Or am I just seeing shadows.
    DENNIS

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast