FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hail damage?

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Must be shadows. ..It was flawless when I got it back.
    Last edited by Ron; 08-23-2015 at 03:11 PM.

My VIN:    16506

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Hokie View Post
    How many people have had hail damage to your DeLorean? How bad was it? How does how damage to the stainless compare to other cars? How did you repair it? Thanks.
    I have had hail damage. Caught it a storm while visiting Wind Cave Nat. Park, SD. It sounded horrible in a A frame building when coming down but not that bad. The hail was just under golf ball size. I had a big dent on the hood and a few smaller ones on the roof and quarter panels. The other cars around me in the parking lot had deeper dents. Being a long long way from home, I was very thankful my windshield was unharmed.

Back home in Ohio I contacted a few places but did not take it anywhere in fear of them not knowing what they were doing since they did not have stainless experience. There was one company 3 hours away who had one guy who did but he only worked 3 days a week from 9am - 3pm. The hood was the worst. The other ones are not that noticeable unless you are looking. While working on my suspension one day at a tech session, Ken Koncelik worked on the hood dent for me. I believe he used a stud gun and/or slide to weld a stick on the hood and hammer it up and out. You can still see tiny remnants from where it was. All I need is a good regrain to fully fix. I never can get Chris N. to work his magic because the powers that be who bring him over only do so in the middle of winter & I'm not driving a few hours in the salt to fix a few dents. Not top on the priority list right now. I call it a battle scar of a daily driver.
    Shannon Y
    www.ohiodeloreans.com
    www.facebook.com/ohiodeloreans
    ---
    1st angle drive - 58,027 miles (20 years) -- original
    2nd angle drive - 48,489 miles (21 years) -- original from donor
    3rd angle drive - 26,572 miles (2 years 3 months) -- DMCH
    4th angle drive - 21,988 miles (1 year 11 months) -- DMCH
    5th angle drive - 7,137 miles (10 months 2 days) -- DMCH
    6th angle drive - OVER 113,704 miles and counting (OVER 13 yr 1 month & counting) -- new Martin Gutkowski unit
    over 245K miles

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Yeah...going on 2 years ago (not my kid tho lol).

Another after:

Looks like a bumper crop of fenders this year.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

hail damage

I also work on Stainless Dent repair,as unfortunately,I backed my own car into the corner of my house wrinkling the right rear fender.Taught myself,but,I had body work experience with regular cars beforehand. Critical that you be able to get to the backside of the dent. In my experience,stainless doesn`t have a memory like steel,so it usually won`t "pop" out. That being said,if you are in my area(Asheville,NC) and have a dent,come by or ship your fender,etc. to me and I will help you out. I`m pretty cheap.Thanks,Steve6864.

My VIN:    2543

This thread gives me hope about DMC Houston being able to fix my door ding. I already emailed back and forth pics with them and I'm driving the car over there in two weeks. 7.5 hours from Pensacola to Houston for a door ding lol, I'm getting the rims refinished too just to really make it worth it. My door ding looks a lot like the little ding above the key hole a few posts ago. I do all the work on my car myself but I can't do this and I don't want to waste time trying to find a repairer locally that "thinks" he can do it.

Door2.jpg
    Ben B. | VIN 2543 | 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia

My VIN:    4534

Ouch, how did you get that ding, Ben?
    Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981
    Brought back to life - July 2011

Hail damage?

I was moving a motorcycle in the garage. I went to put it back in the kickstand but whoops, it wasn't down. I caught the bike once it got to 45 degrees but the handle bar's mirror just kissed the door and left that.

I went to DMC Houston and they fixed my door ding. Here is before and after. It turned out better then I thought. I cannot even tell where they ding was. I figured the blending would stand out in that area but they did a great job of matching it.

IMG_8935.jpg

My VIN:    5757

Quote Originally Posted by BigBenb84 View Post
    I went to DMC Houston and they fixed my door ding. Here is before and after. It turned out better then I thought. I cannot even tell where they ding was. I figured the blending would stand out in that area but they did a great job of matching it.

IMG_8935.jpg
    Did they regrain adjacent panels?

Quote Originally Posted by JRNY13 View Post
    Did they regrain adjacent panels?
    Not that I can tell. It really does blend in. I did Barkeeper's Friend the car with a blending pad* before going there. So that might have helped the transitions.

*pad that came with the Keep Your DeLorean beautiful box kit they sell.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast