FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Automatic Transmission

My VIN:    3997

Quote Originally Posted by brew View Post
    No, it only does it when in 3rd gear, like pressing the gas after coasting on the highway. It upshifts perfectly, it's just the coming to a stop part where it starts acting funny. The fluid is nice and pinkish red. I put new fluid in about 6 years ago when I replaced the governor.
    It really sounds like a bad governor to me...im sorry, but it just does. Mine was having erratic shifting too, until I got the governor sorted out. Its nice and smooth now. I'm just saying...I would try that before I bought a new Transmission. But maybe its also the Solenoids are bad? I dont know.
    Living The Dream Since 2005 - VIN#3997

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Oops, I edited on you:

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    When you say, "falls into", do you mean slips and then grabs or pauses then basically grabs normally?
    =======

I am with Ryan, and suggest you make the test lights and see what the governor is doing, especially if it is not "slipping".
    Last edited by Ron; 08-30-2015 at 04:03 PM.

My VIN:    16928

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan King View Post
    It really sounds like a bad governor to me...im sorry, but it just does. Mine was having erratic shifting too, until I got the governor sorted out. Its nice and smooth now. I'm just saying...I would try that before I bought a new Transmission. But maybe its also the Solenoids are bad? I dont know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Oops, I edited on you:

=======

I am with Ryan, and suggest you make the test lights and see what the governor is doing, especially if it is not "slipping".
    Oh definitely! I'd rather pay for another governor than a whole transmission. I'll give DMCH a call tomorrow and see what they can do. I'll also look into making the test lights, it would be interesting to see what's going on with it.

One more clue to the puzzle... Just went on a short drive, made sure the car shifted to third gear and then pulled the fuse to the governor... The car still did the jerking sensation. It's hard to describe without actually experiencing it, But it feels like someone keeps slamming on the breaks in maybe 1 to 2 second intervals. The jerking sensation gets stronger the warmer the transmission gets.

Mostly Harmless... refugeefromcalif's Avatar

My VIN:    6599

One more clue to the puzzle... Just went on a short drive, made sure the car shifted to third gear and then pulled the fuse to the governor... The car still did the jerking sensation. It's hard to describe without actually experiencing it, But it feels like someone keeps slamming on the breaks in maybe 1 to 2 second intervals. The jerking sensation gets stronger the warmer the transmission gets.
    Is the jerking sensation like it's downshifting, then then shifting back up each time? At about what speed are you descending from? How about quick(er) stops from a lower speed?

George
    George.

1974 BMW RS90 motorcycle
    1981 DeLorean. Cruise Control, Wings-A-Loft, Eibach springs, Spax shocks, Stage1 exhaust, Manual, Grey and Grooved, LED clock and fixed pulls.
    1993 del Sol S (With a Few, Upgrades)
    2017 Chrysler Pacifica Limited

That greatly reduces the odds of it being GC related, to me. I was thinking it might be calling for a down shift when it shouldn't, but it would have to have power for the GC to cause that. Fuse #13 is the only one going to the GC. As a WILD shot in the dark, pull fuse #16 since the wiring from the reverse lights is in the same harness and could be shorted, supplying the power. Check harness for pinches and burns etc., especially near the exhaust on the passenger side....or pull fuse #16 too.

Fingers crossed...

My VIN:    3937

Ryan hinted at it a few posts ago, but I'll also suggest getting a new filter.

My symptoms weren't exactly like yours, but a few of the key ones were. My fluid always looked great and was a good colour, smell and level. When I ultimately dropped the pan and took the filter off the car to inspect closer, it was really quite plugged.

I can't promise you this will be your solution, but when you mentioned a replacement governor is cheaper than a new transmission, a new filter will be the least expensive thing to do out of any of those. Get in touch with Michael and order one or two of his filters from him directly or through his eBay site.

Like I said, it could easily be one of these other problems the guys have mentioned, but there is a good chance it is also a function of the filter restricting fluid flow enough to do what you've seen.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

+1, especially if it is slipping

It's hard to describe without actually experiencing it...
    Can you post a vid?

"When you say, "falls into", do you mean slips and then grabs or pauses then basically grabs normally?"

See Manual G:04:03 for a diagnosis chart

I'll drop the pan this weekend if I have time. I cleaned the filter back when I replaced the governor but there is always a chance it wasn't good enough. I'll see if I can get video of the jerking thing it does, and also post pictures of what the pan area looks like. Unfortunately the car stays at my parents for now until I can get a more permanent location.

I had almost the same issues you're having. It seemed like I was always going into second to soon. After a while it started to slip in third. Changed governor - twice, changed fluid AND filter (the last one I had), changed solenoids and put in new fluid. It was even worse slipping in third plus, when I let off the gas at speed in third it seem to have no drag - like it went into neutral. I eventually found Rod Grady who explained my problem and how to "probably" fix it. Basically the trans was shot and needed replaced. There are apparently some weak parts in the trans than can be repaired or replaced but - I eventually had Rob put in a "new" unit- One from a front wheel-drive Renault (I think). So nice to drive now. That was a couple of years ago now. I wouldn't mess with it unless you can find a real guru like Rob to fix it or find an alternative for you.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast