FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: SpecialTAuto Clutch Bleeder Line

My VIN:    16409

SpecialTAuto Clutch Bleeder Line

I bought this a while back and just recently fitted it. I should have done it sooner because I needed to flush out my clutch fluid. If you haven't seen this, it replaces the bleed screw on the slave cylinder and allows for very easy bleeding. It really is a pain in the butt to bleed the clutch when you have the original exhaust with the crossover pipe. It's still a pain to bleed it even if you have a new dual exhaust. I guess I put it off because it I knew it was going to be a pain to install. However, once it was fitted, it's so easy to bleed the clutch. Now, I wouldn't hesitate to add new fluid every year (I know it's not required)! Anyone with a manual gearbox should consider getting one of these. It's not fun having to kneel on the engine to see what you're doing down where the slave cylinder is.
    Attached Images
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

My VIN:    16336 (SOLD)

I put this on mine when doing the slave. Pain in the ass to put on, but a great, easy to use addition when it's maintenance time!
    One of DMCTalk.org's original admins

Mainly lurking, just passing through. Still enjoying reading about everyone's progress.

Oooh I must get one of these. I had the idea for something like this last time I bled out my clutch, and I went searching around town for someone who could do it. I was told by multiple custom hose shops that it couldn't (reasonably) be done.
    Formerly "fidgety"
    '81 DMC-12, #2147

I guess we're lucky that Hervey has has the means to offers products like this at an affordable price point.
    Chris Miles

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

Any insights on getting it in? I've tried having unnatural relations with the engine and its tough with all the hoses and wires in the way... Do I just need to commit to laying there and fighting through or is there some tip that helps?

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by TTait View Post
    Any insights on getting it in? I've tried having unnatural relations with the engine and its tough with all the hoses and wires in the way... Do I just need to commit to laying there and fighting through or is there some tip that helps?
    Visibility is MUCH better with the engine cover off.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

I removed the lower engine cover, several fuel lines, and disconnected a large vacuum line to get clearance. Got the old bleeder plug out - installed the bleeder hose by guiding it into the hole and turning it from the top, got about 3 turns in with my fingers, then gently used a stubby wrench from the top to get it snug - not much more pressure than my fingertips would exert - but I probably then damaged it without knowing. I went ahead and heroically snugged it up with an 11mm stubby wrench at the bottom. When I went to bleed it I used two wrenches on the top to get the top fitting open, and the bottom fitting came apart while I was doing it. Took the busted bottom fitting back out and I'm going back to the standard bleeder. I can't afford another one at this point, the parts budget is at $0 for optional items for a while.

Not blaming John, but be forewarned - you can't take a shortcut and turn it from the top. I thought I was reasonably careful. You have to break the top fitting loose before you install it, and when installing you can only, only turn it by the bottom fitting - period. Its damned hard to get a wrench on it when the intake is installed, but you either get the wrench only at the bottom, or don't do it.

I understood it could get damaged and I tried not to screw it up, but its easier than you may think.

Not a bad part - not John's fault - not complaining - just trying to let you guys know so you don't do what I did.

Tom

PS - this was me - don't flame John.
    Last edited by TTait; 09-01-2011 at 01:30 AM.

Hey Tom, you should contact John (if you have't already) and see if he'll do anything for you. It seems weird the thing just fell apart because of the way you were handling it. Maybe he doesn't have a warranty on these items.
    Chris Miles

My VIN:    SCEDT26T5BD06996

Club(s):   (DMA)

I used Hervey's pressure bleeder on my brakes. It's amazing! I think the attacment fits the clutch master. Between the line and the pressure bleeder, you'd have a quick and efficient bleed.
    "He that hath a beard is more than a youth, and he that hath no beard is less than a man"
    - William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Chris 16409 View Post
    Hey Tom, you should contact John (if you have't already) and see if he'll do anything for you. It seems weird the thing just fell apart because of the way you were handling it. Maybe he doesn't have a warranty on these items.
    I'll ask next time I place an order.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast