FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18

Thread: Another Beverley Hills Car Club find....

My VIN:    500 ft pounds torque.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyvonviggle View Post
    Ouch.
    How is that ouch? There are DeLoreans weekly posted on ebay in the 20s that are drivers and decent cars, yet they go all the time with no bids at all. Some even with no reserve. I don't care what they ask for it in the long run. My statement is: that car simply isn't worth it at 20k. Not even close to worth it.
    If you check completed listings 5 cars lately sold in mid 20s with some even less that that, with best offer accepted, and two in the 20s with no bids at all. Every one of those cars were very solid starting points, and even drivers. I also know of a one car in the mid twenties lately, and the seller gave up on selling it. He had only lowball offers on an already fair priced car.
    Soundkillr was here.

My VIN:    16355

A Foreign Buyer

As a buyer of a BHCC "D" most of what I have read in this thread is fair comment. It must also be said that as a foreign buyer trying to purchase a D is very difficult unless one is prepared to fly to the States, travel around the country which involves taking time off work and accommodation costs. Having done all of this, there is no guarantee of finding a really good one. Very early on it became abundantly clear to me that buying from a Licensed Dealer was the only sensible course of action for a foreigner. I had many, many dead ends and sellers who either wasted my time or were out and out scammers. The problem is that many Dealers (like some sellers) look at the prices being asked by the various DMC branches and think their D is worth that much. They do not realise that most DMCH, CA, MW & FL DeLoreans have had $10 - $30k spent on them to realise an asking price of $50k - $65k.

Most Dealers are asking crazy prices, BHCC included but at least they post good photos and will take a video of the car being driven and provide as many additional photos as you may wish. Yes their descriptions are thin on detail and they will only give vague answers to the questions you ask but one can then assume that most if not all the required work will need to be done. They do not seem to ever sell cars which have been restored only ones found in barns or sitting idle in collections. I was fortunate to have a member of this forum take a look at the D I eventually purchased and from there had it shipped to DMC CA for a thorough evaluation resulting in $16k being spent on her. This was a little more than I had budgeted but the end result is a reliable and safe D which passed New Zealand's stringent entry and roadworthy regulations first time. This rarely happens and is a real credit to Danny and the team at DMC CA! What I should have done was get the evaluation done before purchasing but I doubt BHCC would have reduced the price further. The forum member pointed out a few things and several thousand dollars was eventually and reluctantly taken off the price. Only with this reduction was the price reasonable but no bargain! Gevik at BHCC is a very personable man to deal with.

In short I would say, get DMC CA to take a look at any BHCC D you might consider purchasing. Then use this evaluation to negotiate, negotiate and negotiate. If you cannot get it down to where it should be then walk away as another is just around the corner. BHCC have sold in excess of 100 D's over several years and it is fair to say that from time to time even they will buy a nice car. Talking to the previous owner and learning the history of VIN 4273 was fascinating and I also found out how much they paid for her. The mark up was around $4k so not too bad once the negotiations were completed. I would have preferred to buy from DMC directly but at the time they did not have an Automatic for sale at any of their branches nor were any coming through the pipeline that fit my requirements. Being patient also helps, we could all do with a bit more of this.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18