FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Beverley Hills Car Club find....

Mostly Harmless... refugeefromcalif's Avatar

My VIN:    6599

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    Nope. They're just from California.

Take a look at this: http://delorean.com/sold/
    I (shamefully), admit that my car is on that page.

George
    George.

1974 BMW RS90 motorcycle
    1981 DeLorean. Cruise Control, Wings-A-Loft, Eibach springs, Spax shocks, Stage1 exhaust, Manual, Grey and Grooved, LED clock and fixed pulls.
    1993 del Sol S (With a Few, Upgrades)
    2017 Chrysler Pacifica Limited

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by refugeefromcalif View Post
    I (shamefully), admit that my car is on that page.

George
    Why? I bought my car on consignment from DMC-GG 15 years ago.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

Mostly Harmless... refugeefromcalif's Avatar

My VIN:    6599

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    Why? I bought my car on consignment from DMC-GG 15 years ago.
    Probably a Lot cheaper then I paid for mine 3 years ago... (DMC Certified cars aren't cheap)..

I just noticed, your VIN is only 14 from mine. Cool.

George
    George.

1974 BMW RS90 motorcycle
    1981 DeLorean. Cruise Control, Wings-A-Loft, Eibach springs, Spax shocks, Stage1 exhaust, Manual, Grey and Grooved, LED clock and fixed pulls.
    1993 del Sol S (With a Few, Upgrades)
    2017 Chrysler Pacifica Limited

My VIN:    7178

Club(s):   (DMA)

So what do you figure is up with that front clip? It doesn't look hit. Or could it be the doors? The front fender-to-door alignment is horrible, especially on the drivers side... door gap is weird all around on that one. But the passenger looks good on the backside. Makes me think it's the front clip.

Quote Originally Posted by refugeefromcalif View Post
    Probably a Lot cheaper then I paid for mine 3 years ago... (DMC Certified cars aren't cheap)..

I just noticed, your VIN is only 14 from mine. Cool.

George
    No, they're not cheap. But there is a reason for that, and it is that they're fully sorted out. When I got my car, it was a rolling restoration, and was my only car for almost 5 years. A fine adventure when you're young, but not so much when you're older. You can't walk away when you're frustrated or bored. And you especially can't be distracted or have your work interrupted. There were a couple of times where I stayed up all night wrenching on my car so that I could go to work the next morning. What you save in initial cash you make up for by doing the work yourself. And that's great, but it's a much, much more difficult path to take if you're not up for it.

Those are close VINs! I remember in 2005, VIN 6589 took home the Concourse award. That was not only the closest VIN I'd ever seen to my car, but it was also awesome to see a time capsule of what the car looked, and smelled like when it was brand new.
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Josh S View Post
    So what do you figure is up with that front clip? It doesn't look hit. Or could it be the doors? The front fender-to-door alignment is horrible, especially on the drivers side... door gap is weird all around on that one. But the passenger looks good on the backside. Makes me think it's the front clip.
    It's been bumped in the front, but doesn't look like that much damage. Mostly this appears to be a neglected car that was sat outside in the California sunshine. I can tell because I have the same warpage and sun damage to my own fascia.

As for the body panel alignment, welcome to early 1981 Dunmurry production.

They used to install the fenders first, and then the fascias, and complete the whole entire car EXCEPT for the gullwing doors. Those would go on last like some sort of ceremony in the mind of whoever designed the production line. More about appearance than functionality I suppose where the car would finally "earn it's wings" so that it could leave the factory. The problem is that trying to fit doors to body panels is an impossible task. So you'd have the nasty ill-fitting panels and the doors that would never seal proper so they'd leak and whistle.

Production was eventually revised to not just have the doors completed separately with their internals, but they would be mounted to the underbody FIRST! This allowed the workers to center the doors so that they would seal properly, and they could eliminate the nasty gaps around the windscreen. Then the fenders & quarter panels would be fitted and could be moved around to align with the doors. Finally the fascias were installed and positioned to have a night tight fitment against the body panels and the car would look much, much better. Oh, and it would of course be watertight too. This is one of the many problems with early VINs that you can expect to encounter.
    Robert

I inquired about this one at Beverly Hills CC and was informed it runs but the windows, heater, horn, and back lights don't work. Also, the inside drivers side door panel is missing and there appears to be heavy rusting underneath. I'm trying to get one for under $20k that's not a major project. I presume these issues are going to be quite costly?

My VIN:    2347

Quote Originally Posted by Azcats View Post
    I inquired about this one at Beverly Hills CC and was informed it runs but the windows, heater, horn, and back lights don't work. Also, the inside drivers side door panel is missing and there appears to be heavy rusting underneath. I'm trying to get one for under $20k that's not a major project. I presume these issues are going to be quite costly?
    Rusty frames can be costly to fix
    Everyone is tough through a keyboard

Quote Originally Posted by Azcats View Post

Mate, IMO, keep looking.
    If that's a 19K car then I need to re-assess my insurance agreed value.
    You may be better spending alittle more, say 26/28k, and get a road registered runner.
    It will be far more enjoyable for you & will probably be cheaper in the long run. Most definitely over that car anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by 88KPH View Post
    Mate, IMO, keep looking.
    If that's a 19K car then I need to re-assess my insurance agreed value.
    You may be better spending alittle more, say 26/28k, and get a road registered runner.
    It will be far more enjoyable for you & will probably be cheaper in the long run. Most definitely over that car anyway.
    Thanks! Yeah I'm gonna keep looking but still hoping for something under $20k. Don't mind a little work as it will be a second car that I won't use much.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast