FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Overheat- attempting to post again

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    I was able to go to my local parts store - advance or similar, and get a thermostat. Are you running a stainless coolant bottle from SpecialT with the copper neck painted silver by any chance?
    If it keeps overheating you have to test for combustion gasses in the coolant. You probably blew a head gasket.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    04835

The thought crossed my mind, but there is no coolant-oil swapping going on, and I cant smell any exhaust in the coolant bottle, nor see bubbles with the car running at idle/revs when stationary. A compression test can confirm, but of what I've seen so far, improper circulation is where my thinking was.

I am using the OEM plastic overflow tank.

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Along with the water pump & thermostat, I'd add the plastic tank to the list of things to replace. At the very least try a new cap - if the cap is as old as the tank that could be your problem too.

My wife has an Xterra that has a bad head gasket. We have to fill the expansion tank once a week (I know, one day I'll fix it...) otherwise you'd never know there was a problem. You can't see any bubbles in the radiator, nor any smoke when running and no coolant in the oil.

While it is possible you have a bad head gasket with no visible evidence, I'd start with these smaller things and see what happens - they're cheaper and would need to be replaced anyway. I know, I'm trying not to start the "while you're in there, replace this and that" thing, but for reliability if you don't know the age of those things, and especially the aging plastic tank - I'd get them changed soon. They might work great now, but also might leave you stranded- I know my water pump almost did when it died without notice.
    -----Dan B.

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    Along with the water pump & thermostat, I'd add the plastic tank to the list of things to replace. At the very least try a new cap - if the cap is as old as the tank that could be your problem too.

My wife has an Xterra that has a bad head gasket. We have to fill the expansion tank once a week (I know, one day I'll fix it...) otherwise you'd never know there was a problem. You can't see any bubbles in the radiator, nor any smoke when running and no coolant in the oil.

While it is possible you have a bad head gasket with no visible evidence, I'd start with these smaller things and see what happens - they're cheaper and would need to be replaced anyway. I know, I'm trying not to start the "while you're in there, replace this and that" thing, but for reliability if you don't know the age of those things, and especially the aging plastic tank - I'd get them changed soon. They might work great now, but also might leave you stranded- I know my water pump almost did when it died without notice.
    Cheers. The cap was the first thing to get replaced. I'm thinking a new set of coolant hoses is in order too, they appear to be very old, assuming not original from the metal radiator though. I am assuming the coolant pressure tester is going to reveal lots of leaks.
    Last edited by FPBBrandon; 09-03-2015 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FPBBrandon View Post
    Cheers. The cap was the first thing to get replaced. I'm thinking a new set of coolant hoses is in order too, they appear to be very old, assuming not original from the metal radiator though. I am assuming the coolant pressure tester is going to reveal lots of leaks.
    Yes, replacing all of the less costly parts is a good idea but you are wasting money and time. A combustion test is not expensive and will be definitive. The old plastic coolant bottle is not causing the overheat unless it is leaking but it should be replaced along with any other old/worn/bad parts. With all of your posts you are saying it is not some simple, easy to replace item so now you need to think of other, more expensive things. If it isn't a blown head gasket you probably need a new radiator (maybe both).
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Yes, replacing all of the less costly parts is a good idea but you are wasting money and time. A combustion test is not expensive and will be definitive. The old plastic coolant bottle is not causing the overheat unless it is leaking but it should be replaced along with any other old/worn/bad parts. With all of your posts you are saying it is not some simple, easy to replace item so now you need to think of other, more expensive things. If it isn't a blown head gasket you probably need a new radiator (maybe both).
    I was unaware of the existence of the combustion test. I will look into doing this at home with an autozone tester.

I was unaware of the existence of the combustion test. I will look into doing this at home with an autozone tester.
    It is really simple, you draw gases from the coolant system through a liquid and if it changes color it indicates combustion gases being forced into the coolant. You can probably find a local garage that will do it for you and it isn't expensive. Cheaper than buying the equipment. Takes just a couple of minutes. If the head gaskets aren't leaking you can look for other, less expensive causes.
    David Teitelbaum

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Is there an off the FLAPS shelf thermostat I can use, or is it limited to the vendors?
    According to the crossover l (I haven't tried any of them):
    Thermostat:
    Calorstat: V6569, World: W57-126, Dauphinoise Thompson: 206402-B86

Thermostat Gasket:
    GKN: 143-0545, World: W50-194

It might be the sound in the thermostat housing if it as old as you think...

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    According to the crossover l (I haven't tried any of them):
    Thermostat:
    Calorstat: V6569, World: W57-126, Dauphinoise Thompson: 206402-B86

Thermostat Gasket:
    GKN: 143-0545, World: W50-194

It might be the sound in the thermostat housing if it as old as you think...
    Be careful with cross/overs. Although they may physically fit they may not work like the original. There is also the problem of the gasket, I doubt you will find it anywhere but a Volvo dealer of a Delorean vendor. Some of the cross/overs I have seen did not have the bleeder hole. Easy to test the thermostat, remove it and heat it up in a pot of water with a thermometer and see when it starts to open.
    David Teitelbaum

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I agree, that's why I mentioned I haven't tried any of them.

(Wouldn't be surprised if he would be boiling pieces from the sounds of it....;-)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2