FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: New cables from the battery compartment ?

New cables from the battery compartment ?

Hello guys,

I would like to run 2 new cables from the battery poles to the "ecu tray" behind the driver seat, but it seems that the battery compartment is sealed and there is no way to route the wires to the upper electrical tray (unless I am missing a free spot). so I guess I should have to drill the "upper closing panel" and run the new cables through grommets or (mad idea) to route both wires outside of the cabin from the battery wires grommets and reintroduce them through the parking cables grommets..
    any other good ideas?
    If not possible at all I will simply connect them to the +12V and ground spots on the firewall (passenger side)..

Many thanks
    Let us reply to ambition that it is she herself that gives us a taste for solitude.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by BABIS View Post
    Hello guys,

I would like to run 2 new cables from the battery poles to the "ecu tray" behind the driver seat, but it seems that the battery compartment is sealed and there is no way to route the wires to the upper electrical tray (unless I am missing a free spot). so I guess I should have to drill the "upper closing panel" and run the new cables through grommets or (mad idea) to route both wires outside of the cabin from the battery wires grommets and reintroduce them through the parking cables grommets..
    any other good ideas?
    If not possible at all I will simply connect them to the +12V and ground spots on the firewall (passenger side)..

Many thanks
    Wherever you tap off of be sure to properly fuse the positive lead. The best choice is probably the + post on the bulkhead.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    16619

Depending on how thick the wire is, you can Utilize the Jumper Post and route that along the Engine Bay and go in through O2 Sensor Grommet.

I don't remember if the inside portion of the Jumper Post is accessible through the Pontoon, so that you can route the wire through inside the pontoon, then along the inside Firewall to Driver side tray.

Some things to consider is if the new load you are hooking up will have parasitic drain when the vehicle is off and as mentioned above, to have a Fuse near the tap off point. Also depending on what kind of load it is (for example if it's a DC Motor), it could introduce noise to the ECU.

My VIN:    02261

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Please see the three pictures below. The pictures show two negative and two positive wires I installed to power two amplifiers that I have not installed on the Parcel Shelf directly behind the seats.
    Not knowing electrical theory very well your best bet is the shortest distance possible from the battery. Which means running the wires on top of the Parcel Shelf hidden under the carpet. I bought the 4 AWG (American Wire Gauge) wires and the inline fuses for the positive wires at a local car stereo store.
    First I removed the steel platform holding all the fuses and relays in place. Removing the steel platform made drilling holes in the black plastic much easier.
    Next I used my battery powered Dremel tool to drill the holes.
    Then used McKanica Seam Sealer Black to seal up the space where the wires pass through the holes I drilled. McKanica Seam Sealer takes 10 to 12 hours to cure.
    Attached Images
    Mark Vanyo
    Links to DeLorean related web sites!
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?19...s-Part-I-of-II.