FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW THROTTLE PLATES: For Sale

My VIN:    4018

Club(s):   (PNDC)

NEW THROTTLE PLATES: For Sale

NEW ALUMINUM THROTTLE PLATE:

A direct replacement part of the (NLA) rubber intake gasket 102772 (GSKT-LWR HSG/T/V).

20150824_185546.jpg20150824_192623[1].jpg

THE ONLY REPLACEMENT AVAILABLE:

Your OEM rubber gasket is over 30 years old and will eventually fail. By now many Delorean owners have replaced ALL of the available rubber parts and gaskets on their cars.

Would you drive on a set of original NCT tires? Do you trust the original fuel lines? How did that original rubber fuel pump boot look when you cleaned out the gas tank? Replace your old intake gasket now before you are stranded on the road miles from home.

Every single gasket, hose, and seal has been available through various vendors, except this one part. Availability is limited. Order your new throttle plate while you can!

Plates are currently $114 each with free shipping (in the US). They are CNC machined from of aluminum and include stainless steel fasteners, stainless washers, and (ethanol compatible) vtron "O" rings.

20150908_191737.jpg

It's a direct replacement!20150825_222508.jpg

You can PM me and send payment to may paypal address: [email protected] Please make sure your shipping address is correct.

Thank you.

Gary

Young Padawan With The DeLorean kings1527's Avatar

My VIN:    6575

Very nice design. Looks great.

What's the availability of the rubber o-ring? Is that a custom o-ring that you're selling with the unit or is it a readily available size at any auto parts store?

Alex Abdalla

Late 1981, Grey 5-speed, 75k miles. Built 11/11/81

A stock-look with modern, reliable technology.

A full restoration with step-by-step "what I did" is in progress at www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com

Alex

The "O" rings are 1/8" width and 3 1/2" ID viton O-rings. They are available online and most likely in some hardware stores. Not all O-rings are equal. The ones I choose have a temperature rating of -10 thru +400 deg F. and are ethanol compatible.

Gary

The Performance gains from the new throttle plate.

PERFORMANCE GAINS:

The original rubber fitting between the metering plate and the butterfly valve assembly is NLA. There is also a performance aspect to this part. The new plate has a larger inside diameter and matches the inside profile of the air intake system, increasing air flow!

20150825_214817[1].jpg20150825_214122.jpg

This diagram demonstrates how the profile of the original rubber gasket chokes the air intake system. Air from the metering plate hits the side walls of the original part and creates turbulence.

Throttle plate diagram.jpg

My new plate eliminates any restriction of air flow and allows it to go straight through. This is especially beneficial if you have a performance air filter and cold air intake system!

The images below shows the original gasket and the new plate to show the difference.

20150824_192840.jpg20150824_192820.jpg20150824_192721.jpg

The original opening is increased in area by 33%!

Gary

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Just out of curiosity, have you tested this in a wind tunnel or conducted a fluid dynamics test?

The reason I ask is because, while your hypothesis of an increased air flow due to the more "open" nature of your piece seems sound, I think you are discounting the Venturi Effect which states that fluids - in this case air flow which acts as a fluid - speeds up when the aperture narrows.

Also I have to wonder what role Bernoulli's Principle plays in the shape of the factory issued rubber gasket. Being rounded like an air foil, does it actually increase airflow through the throttle housing?

Of course, all of this is speculative on my part and doesn't mean your claims are not accurate. I just think you might want to conduct some comparison testing to determine if what you claim is verifiable. If your idea holds up to testing than you have even more data to potentially increase sales.

Cheers
    Steven
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

My VIN:    03572

I love the machining on your design. I'm not really into performance upgrades but if I was still employed I would definitely buy one. I may decide to buy one anyway.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    10270

I received mine yesterday. Overall a very impressive product and packaging! The instructions are well-written and very thorough. Really looking forward to future projects

TBP.jpg
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

"Just out of curiosity, have you tested this in a wind tunnel or conducted a fluid dynamics test?"

Nope, no tests or anything formal..... I spilled some coffee on it once and it cleaned up nice!

Look, I just do this for fun. I love getting things in the mail for my Delorean. It gives me a reason to get out of the house and tinker on my car. Now I get to share that with others too!

I'm sure somebody someday may do some tests. But the main thing is that this is a brand new part in the world of Deloreans. Test it, install it on you car, talk about it. How fun is that!

BTW I'm not done with the throttle assembly. More is yet to come.

Gary

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    But the main thing is that this is a brand new part in the world of Deloreans.
    For certain, Gary. If nothing else you've provided a viable replacement for an no longer available part.
    Good on ya' for that!

Cheers
    Steven
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by mluder View Post
    For certain, Gary. If nothing else you've provided a viable replacement for an no longer available part.
    Good on ya' for that!

Cheers
    Steven
    I agree with you on the testing. Computational fluid dynamics is very difficult to analyze without testing. Closed channel flow is a little easier than open channel flow, but still, there are a lot of factors to consider.

That being said, I also agree that this is a very nice replacement part to an otherwise unavailable part. Whether or not there is any performance gain, or even loss, is really secondary to the fact that now there is an option for replacement/repair, when before an option did not exist.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast