FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Barn Find, sitting for 20 years.

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Maybe the same person owned both your cars...would explain the same strange mats...hehe
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

What about the car cover, did they come with one?

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot View Post
    This is not the factory floor mat is it? And it had a car cover but it doesAttachment 36783n't look factory. Very thin.
    Congrats on the new project car.

No, the dealer accessory mats were nothing like those. Toss 'em when you are done renovating the car. Meantime they will make good mats for flushing the brakes and doing the clutch (5 spd?).

No, the cars did not come with car covers. A custom-fit beige cotton cover + storage bag was a DeLorean dealer accessory.

There are some existing threads on a full resurrection job like this. Fuel, brakes, engine is the usual order. It's not a small job.

Folks warn not to try running the fuel pump before you get clean gas into the fuel system. Whatever ex-fuel there is in the tank/pump needs to stay where it is.

This thread is a decent place to start on your fuel system adventure: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?8409
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    Good question; oddly enough my car had the exact same floor mats when I got it. I have since replaced them but this is the first time I've ever seen another owner with them. I always assumed they were just some aftermarket that my previous owner put in but now it makes me wonder.
    It's probably one of those generic, cheap, bulk accessories that dealerships buy to spruce up cars in order to jack up the asking price. Like those junk chrome accessories.

You actually see these things all the time and don't even realize it at first. Chrome-covered plastic trim pieces that stick over the entry-level steel wheels and black grilles. They'll even cut holes in the center so that the manufacturer logos on the front grilles, or on the hub caps shine through to make them look more "official" without having to pay licensing fees.

$40 for some wheel covers? $350 markup for "chrome wheels". $30 for a grill cover? $500 markup for a "custom chrome grille". $10 for mudflaps with another $40 for chrome skins for mirrors and door handles? $600 "Appearance Package".

$5 back in 1981 for some cheap floor mats? Instant $90 DeLorean floor mats.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot View Post
    Look at the new project
    Has it been in a cave behind wood boards with the initials "E.L.B." on it?
    - Volker Seidel -

The way I see it, if you're gonna drive around in a car, why not do it with some style?

My VIN:    10270

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    I always assumed they were just some aftermarket that my previous owner put in but now it makes me wonder.
    Mine came with these mats too. Now it really is a mystery... or a huge coincidence
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Why is there being a WalMart across the road from the QAC a mystery
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

My guess on the aftermarket floor mats is that they were something one of the 80's aftermarket vendors were selling or all these cars were sold by the same dealership. QAC's would have no reason to install floor mats, they would use paper or plastic. Also Original dealer floor mats were Black only with the DMC logo.
    I see these mats are Grey. So this was likely just an early aftermarket attempt to find something to work in the grey interior cars. The Grey floor mats with the black DMC logo available today was Something D1 had made to better fit the grey interior cars back in the 80's and has been continuously reproduced to this day.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2