FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Sending Unit- A look Inside

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Fuel Sending Unit- A look Inside

My VIN:    1919 & 2207

Very good, thanks for poting this, always wanted to know what the innards of these consisted of, not as messy as i thought.

Is there a way to test the low fuel light? Mine doesn't come on when the fuel gets real low, and i did try replacing the globe, must be something a bit further down the line?
    Paul Black - Vin 1919

Canon20DFan
    The Delorean fuel gauge is notoriously inaccurate...is it the guage or the sending unit? Is there a modern replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by Canon20DFan View Post
    The Delorean fuel gauge is notoriously inaccurate...is it the guage or the sending unit?
    Sending unit

Is there a modern replacement?
    I suppose this guy would be considered a modern replacement but there have been some fitment issues with a few of them, probably an early version thing.
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.
    K-Jet: Causing electrical issues since November 5th 1955

My VIN:    05457

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    I suppose this guy would be considered a modern replacement but there have been some fitment issues with a few of them, probably an early version thing.
    I am currently running the new one Sean linked to but thinking about sending my OEM unit to Hervey to be rebuilt. The replacement unit reads at 3/4 for me on a full tank and turns on my low fuel light at a 1/4 tank.
    David Proehl

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Is there a modern replacement?
    Just get a DMCH unit for $99. It isn't perfect but it gives a prett good suggestion of how much fuel you have left. If you learn to interpret your fuel gauge and keep track of your mileage per tank you will always have a good idea of how much fuel you have left.

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

Quote Originally Posted by DavidProehl View Post
    I am currently running the new one Sean linked to but thinking about sending my OEM unit to Hervey to be rebuilt. The replacement unit reads at 3/4 for me on a full tank and turns on my low fuel light at a 1/4 tank.
    +1

I have a Houston unit in one car, and the oem in the other - I had the Houston unit replaced under warranty because it wasn't accurate - neither was the replacement. I'll give them props for having them made - unfortunately the production units aren't perfect. They own them and have paid for them, so that's what they have.

Try to get your oem unit fixed first...

Quietly enjoying ownership Cory W's Avatar

My VIN:    4692

I saw an attempt at fixing some of the issues with the "new" fuel baffle before. It dealt with putting a small metal screw in the open hole at the bottom, sort of like how the screw is in the second hole at the bottom. Did it to a car I've been working on recently, and will be back at this weekend. Pics to follow when I'm around the car again.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackie View Post
    Is there a way to test the low fuel light? Mine doesn't come on when the fuel gets real low, and i did try replacing the globe, must be something a bit further down the line?
    Ground the Light Green-Orange (LGO) wire at the sending unit (ignition switch on). If this turns the light on, then that half of the circuit is good.(Make sure the LGO wire to sending unit connection is good.)

My VIN:    06960

The original TankZilla units used this Saab fuel level sender...
    http://www.redlinemotive.com/store/r...l+Sending+Unit
    E203023393VDO.JPG

Since it reads in reverse from our senders, its not directly compatible with the stock gauge. TankZilla was a logic box that went between this sender and the gauge to correct those readings. TankZilla may not be available anymore, but this sender still has life for DeLoreans. I plan to make the new electronic instrument cluster fully compatible with this Saab unit, along will all DeLorean units available. A user-selectable jumper will switch between types.

Fuel level will be averaged over 30-60 seconds. No quick swings, no "clicks". Just averaged exact level.

Not available yet, but putting it out there as another option.
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast