FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DMCH combo fuel sender

My VIN:    5436

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

DMCH combo fuel sender

I haven't seen any comments about these in recent months, and was wondering, now that plenty of time has passed what the general opinion is? I remember some of the early units had problems but were soon sorted out.
    I'd like to go for one, as I'm sick of the whole fuel level guessing game from the stock sender.
    - Martin - VIN 5436 -

Mine works a treat. Not exactly exciting stuff but I was fed up with the rubbish fuel gauge and the worry that when you fill up at the station petrol pours out from the crap sender fit etc (happened to me). All of that now fixed with the new unit. Modern car standard fuel level indications and the fuel light works too.

My only gripe is that it is a very tight fit trying to get the closing cover back on.

If you go for it make sure you empty and clean the tank out so that you could eat your dinner off of it :-)

It's not cheap but I'd do it again.

My VIN:    2567 (Sold)

no issues. go for it.

Mostly Harmless... refugeefromcalif's Avatar

My VIN:    6599

Overall I've been Happy with mine.
    Mines been installed for over 2½ years now. (I did have to add an inline check valve for Hot start problems.)
    It was accurate for the first year, then has slowly gotten worse. Now when the gauge shows ¼ tank, it takes about 12 gallons too fill it.
    My Low Fuel light comes on when I'm down to ½ gallon. (Based on the 13.2 gallon tank spec, and what the pump tells me after it shutting off.)

George
    Last edited by refugeefromcalif; 09-12-2015 at 07:53 PM.
    George.

1974 BMW RS90 motorcycle
    1981 DeLorean. Cruise Control, Wings-A-Loft, Eibach springs, Spax shocks, Stage1 exhaust, Manual, Grey and Grooved, LED clock and fixed pulls.
    1993 del Sol S (With a Few, Upgrades)
    2017 Chrysler Pacifica Limited

My VIN:    5436

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Thanks guys. You've sold me on it! I'm going for it.

Coincidentally, my fuel pump (I think) started buzzing quite loudly today while sitting in traffic - loud enough that you could hear it inside the running car. The buzzing was coming from the front for sure. It went away after a short while.
    On a (possibly?) related note, my engine died one day last week on a road trip with the Irish Lotus club - I coasted to a halt on a hill, the car wouldn't restart for a few minutes, then all of a sudden it fired right up and didn't give any more problems after that. Some of the DOI guys suggested the pickup hose. Whether it was the hose or not, I want to ditch the old setup and its associated problems once and for all.
    - Martin - VIN 5436 -

My VIN:    05457

I only have a couple hundred miles on my combo unit, but it has been problem free. I also didn't have any of the fit issues discussed above. It may depend on the car. It certainly is tight, but I didn't struggle to get the panel back on. No more worrying about the car starving for gas at a 1/4 tank!
    David Proehl

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by DavidProehl View Post
    I only have a couple hundred miles on my combo unit, but it has been problem free. I also didn't have any of the fit issues discussed above. It may depend on the car. It certainly is tight, but I didn't struggle to get the panel back on. No more worrying about the car starving for gas at a 1/4 tank!
    No matter what fuel gauge you have the best advice is to fill the fuel tank and reset the trip odometer (make sure the reset lever returns fully out). Cross-check your fuel gauge with the trip odometer using 20 MPG figuring 12 gallons usable in filled tank. You should get around 250 miles on a tank of gas averaging city and highway driving. 1/2 tank, 6 gallons, should get you 125 miles and so on.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    1494

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by refugeefromcalif View Post
    Overall I've been Happy with mine.
    Mines been installed for over 2½ years now. (I did have to add an inline check valve for Hot start problems.)
    It was accurate for the first year, then has slowly gotten worse. Now when the gauge shows ¼ tank, it takes about 12 gallons too fill it.
    My Low Fuel light comes on when I'm down to ½ gallon. (Based on the 13.2 gallon tank spec, and what the pump tells me after it shutting off.)

George
    This happened to me. Turns out it was one of the first units sent out. The logic box wasn't fully sealed and I am guessing it messed something up inside. I got a new replacement logic box and my fuel gauge has been working great ever since.

Some tests to try that DMCH had me do was to ensure that the float wasn't getting caught, that the contact portion of the float was clean and making good contact and even replaced the float arm portion to make sure it truly was the logic box.

You can trying reaching out to them and explain that you have one of the very first units and that it no longer reads correctly.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steve Cosgrove, Vin. 1494
    "I'm Kicking Through The Walls In My Mind..." - Goo Goo Dolls
    On-going Engine and Car Modifications: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?50...Engine-Upgrade

Combo fuel

As George said I am very pleased with this unit. I had it installed right after they were inducted , I did add the check valve but after around 5 fuel pumps I am happy to have one that I do not worry about. Andy B 03513

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Horsebox View Post
    My only gripe is that it is a very tight fit trying to get the closing cover back on.
    +1

I installed 3 (including Chris' with a bad check valve) and none of them had fit problems. But my cover would not fit at all. I've been debating on heating it with a heat gun to keep it from rubbing the forward portion of the main clamp.
    For reference- I measured from the cover mating surface to the top of the tank and it was ~1.5 inches, about 7/16 shy of clearing.
    I understand 1 in 10 have a clearance problem.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast