FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Temp Guage

Temp Guage

Guys fitting a new temperature gauge in the dash could anyone tell me where the gauge needle sits when the car is cold, is it just below the " 100 "mark, or could someone send me a picture of theirs when the engine is cold.

Thanks Norman.

My VIN:    3937

Hi Norman,

Here is a picture of my dash. Keep in mind, the temperature gauge will stay at whatever point it was at when you shut the car off and only return to a reading when you return power back to it. This photo is with a cold car and the engine off, but I put the key back in and turned to accessories for the photo. There is an expression something along the lines of "AC dies and DC lies" or the other way around! and kind of tells you that one type of gauge just drops to zero and the other stays at its value or goes to something bizarre (like our tach gauge does).

I vaguely remember when I had my cluster apart replacing the trip reset shaft that the temp gauge seemed like you could put it back together with the needle pointed wherever you wanted. Different than say the speedo itself that has a physical stop for the needle to butt up against.

I adjusted mine such that it rests at about exactly the 100 deg mark. It will stay there and only start to rise once the engine temperature catches up to it. Keep in mind that what is showing on the gauge in no way affects when the cooling fans will come on. The information only goes one way and there is no feedback going to the engine from that gauge. The cooling fans get turned on or off by a separate temperature reading independent of this one.

When you monitor the gauge, you can look for irregularities within your own car, but not so much trying to compare your given reading to what someone else gets. You know what I mean? Since the calibration is a bit random and the fans come on based on a separate signal, watch your gauge for patterns once you establish those and take action if it starts to do something different.

IMG_1821.jpg

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Temp Gauge

Hi Jonathan, thanks for your reply and for taking the time to get a photo of your temp gauge, purchased a new temp gauge from Delorean One ( see photo ) so hopefully will get it fitted tonight, will keep you posted. Also fitting a new rev counter gauge so hopefully a fully operational dash this evening.

Thanks Norman
    Attached Images

My VIN:    2065

Temperature ???

Quote Originally Posted by cardy58 View Post
    Hi Jonathan, thanks for your reply and for taking the time to get a photo of your temp gauge, purchased a new temp gauge from Delorean One ( see photo ) so hopefully will get it fitted tonight, will keep you posted. Also fitting a new rev counter gauge so hopefully a fully operational dash this evening.

Thanks Norman
    On a slightly different note, my temp guage never gets above the bottom quarter (approx 150)

Should I be worried?

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by OZ DMC View Post
    On a slightly different note, my temp guage never gets above the bottom quarter (approx 150)

Should I be worried?
    That same 1/4 mark is where my fans kick on. So mine rarely goes above also. I don't think the marks are linear so it's anybody's guess what that first mark means for coolant temp.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/