FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Vin 5210 – The Open Source Delorean Project (OSDP)

Jason

Are people still regularly adding dynamat? Seemed to me like the general consensus was that it might not be worth the hassle of application and added weight given the minimal benefits people have reported. I don't own a D so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Looks like a fun project. Best of luck. I look forward to the pics.
    "I decided a couple nights ago that I'm going to own a delorean within 5 years"
    "Dude,have you ever been in one before, they are crappy"

My VIN:    5210

Club(s):   (DMCNE)

Quote Originally Posted by silverhair01 View Post
    Are people still regularly adding dynamat? Seemed to me like the general consensus was that it might not be worth the hassle of application and added weight given the minimal benefits people have reported.
    To my knowledge I haven't heard any issues with Dynamats. Was there any specific form thread that discussed the pro's and cons of insulation? I would greatly appreciate the knowledge! Thanks

I will add, I was inspired to use Dynamats on the chassis itself, after seeing Jay Leno's restoration of the 1966 Lotus Elan, which has a similar double-Y configuration (See Video). Has anyone else used the Dynamat in a similar way?

Also will take some pictures of my chassis tonight to show what kind of rust I'm dealing with. If you have an opinion on how I should repair the chassis, based on the damage, please let me know.

Thanks again everyone for the feedback!

https://youtu.be/3rfQyWbmcdY?t=1m41s
    3D Artist @ Wayfair LLC.

Status: Newbie - Apologies in advanced for a lack of knowledge of forum topics and etiquette. Thanks!

Jason

From the threads I've seen, it seemed as though most think it did help with some cabin noise, but not anywhere near as much as they had hoped. Some were having trouble with getting the seats to slide because of the mat thickness but I think they got that resolved. Old thread to reference is here: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?97...hlight=dynamat.
    "I decided a couple nights ago that I'm going to own a delorean within 5 years"
    "Dude,have you ever been in one before, they are crappy"

My VIN:    #1283

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    An engine swap alone is usually about 6 months to a 1 year by itself if you're working on it a lot.
    Hi Mike,
    I wanted to emphasize Nick's point about the lead-time. My D is currently undergoing a swap to a turbo VR6 by SEO Motorsports and the swap piece alone is a 6 month project, so that would exclude the prep work I did myself beforehand which took about another 6-12 months.

Read all about the project here:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?12...l-transmission

Henrik

Quote Originally Posted by Henrik View Post
    I wanted to emphasize Nick's point about the lead-time.
    Hey Henrik,
    Thank you for your attention and concern! I'm incredibly excited and inspired by the progress you and SEO have made on your project.

I agree with both You and Nick that I must be realistic with my schedule and not rush work or sacrifice quality to hit a deadline. My only reason for putting a time frame on the project is so that I can hold myself accountable for the work I am doing and so I don't lose my my enthusiasm. I look forward to your feedback as the project continues

Update - Chassis Rust

Attached are some images that demonstrate the extent of the rust. The worst part of the car looks to be on the front driver side, near the gas tank. I won't know the extent of the damage until I get in there with some tools and cleaner but, if you have seen this damage before, let me know what you would do!

Thanks!

IMG_3063.jpgIMG_3067.jpgIMG_3068.jpgIMG_3065.jpg
    3D Artist @ Wayfair LLC.

Status: Newbie - Apologies in advanced for a lack of knowledge of forum topics and etiquette. Thanks!

My VIN:    #1283

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Hi again Mike,
    Picture #2 looks like brake fluid leakage to me - a right of passage for all D owners. Here is a thread about that:
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?10...ake-fluid-leak

And here is a thread about Dynamat:
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?37...r-the-interior
    Truth be told I never noticed any difference in sound deadening at all, but I did a complete overhaul of my interior so it was one of those "while I'm in there". My guess is that Dynamat is more effective on sheet metal, but who knows, maybe other D owners have a different experience.

Henrik

Hi again Mike,
    Picture #2 looks like brake fluid leakage to me - a right of passage for all D owners. Here is a thread about that:
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?10...ake-fluid-leak
    Awesome Thread, thanks Henrik!

And here is a thread about Dynamat:
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?37...r-the-interior
    Truth be told I never noticed any difference in sound deadening at all, but I did a complete overhaul of my interior so it was one of those "while I'm in there". My guess is that Dynamat is more effective on sheet metal, but who knows, maybe other D owners have a different experience.
    Given the conversation on this thread and some of the other feedback I've been getting, I'll probably stay away from Dynamat and focus on using Dynaliner/Dynapad on large larger thicker sections such as the transmission insulation pad on the rear deck. I've also seen some local hot rods that used polyurea based coatings in their trunks and firewalls to reduce road noise but I'm not completely sold on the idea. Certainly something to investigate in the future.
    3D Artist @ Wayfair LLC.

My VIN:    1472

Make sure there is no corrosion inside the box section.
    IMG_2038.jpgIMG_0929.jpgATTACH=CONFIG]36895[/ATTACH]
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shuttleman View Post
    Make sure there is no corrosion inside the box section.
    That looks like a complete nightmare! I'll be sure to check inside, thanks for the advice Shuttleman!
    3D Artist @ Wayfair LLC.

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Any updates Mike?
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast