FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Vin 5210 – The Open Source Delorean Project (OSDP)

My VIN:    6654

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by silverhair01 View Post
    Are people still regularly adding dynamat? Seemed to me like the general consensus was that it might not be worth the hassle of application and added weight given the minimal benefits people have reported. I don't own a D so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Looks like a fun project. Best of luck. I look forward to the pics.
    It made a big difference in my car. there is almost no engine/road noise. I have headers and of course
    you still hear them.

IMG_0952.jpg
    Last edited by Lenny; 05-06-2019 at 12:22 PM.
    Thanks,
    Lenny

DMCH New Build in 2005, Stage II, DPI Stainless Exhaust, Eibach Suspension, 170 Mph Speedometer, Xenon Lights, Wings-A-Loft, DMC Wide Angle Side Mirrors, 3rd Brake Light

My VIN:    5210

Club(s):   (DMCNE)

September 2019 Update!

Hey everyone, I can’t believe it’s been almost 4 years since my last post but I finally have a serious updates!
    Note lots of life stuff had to happen before I could really delicate time to the project but its finally the right time. Apologies for the delay!
    DSC00589.jpg

Rust Repair:
    So I separated the frame from the body and completely power washed the chassis. Good news, I have found multiple spots of rust but nothing that has rusted through! Bad news, a lot of the surface rust is in hard to reach places, particularly in the support towers for the rear suspension and the crumple box, particularly around the steering rack. There still might be more rust hiding but All of the visible rust spots clean up nicely with a metal brush. I’m going to do what I can for now and cover with primer until I get something to fill in the epoxy. I am still looking for any feedback or Ideas on the matter, but I think my next purchase will be a POR-15 Rust Kit.
    IMG_Ch01.jpgIMG_3067.jpgrust1.jpg

Body Work:
    After many nights with a scraper, metal brush and steel wool I have finally cleaned out the interior of the body of all carpet glue, dirt and sound deadening. The fiberglass in the car looks amazing but I’m starting to notice that some of the fiberglass tub around the rear is looking rather dull and mat, almost as if its oxidizing. I’ve tried a few things to clean it up but I may try to give it a polish.
    DSC00799.jpgIMG_bd1.jpgIMG_6875.jpg

Next Steps!

Engine:
    I have finally landed on a rather unlikely candidate for an engine but It’s a perfect fit!

IMG_7418.jpg
    Honda J32A3 V6 from a 2006 Arcura LT

The Honda V6 is widely regarded as a JDM LS because they're cheap, have a good amount of after-market parts and can handle significant boost pressure without any change to the stock internals. I'm expecting the engine will produce somewhere between 250-300HP naturally aspirated on a base tune from an aftermarket programmable engine management system, such as an AEM Infinity. I have more info to share as I start the engine tear-down including mechanical drawing for the transmission adapter plate, engine mount design and intake manifold.

Transmission:
    This is the one areas where I am struggling with at the moment. My current direction is getting a Subaru 5 or 6 speed AWD transmission and adapting it to be a reversed 2WD with a kit from Subarugears (http://www.subarugears.com/). A few people who have built Sand Rail vehicles with the same engine and drive train layout recommended this because it will be much better for street applications and the starter motor can be placed on the transmission bell housing.
    Still doing a bit more research before purchasing one, So if you have any experience or knowledge, let me know! I have seen a video on Facebook that an LS swapped Delorean has this transmission, but I haven't seen much else.

There is lots more I plan to update everyone on soon but if you have any burning questions, feel free to post them here or send me a PM!

Want to give a special shout out to user clenet and Lumpyd who was the original owner of the car!

Thanks so much for all for your feedback, knowledge and curiosity!
    3D Artist @ Wayfair LLC.

Status: Newbie - Apologies in advanced for a lack of knowledge of forum topics and etiquette. Thanks!

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by MSpieler View Post
    Hey everyone, I can’t believe it’s been almost 4 years since my last post but I finally have a serious updates!
    Note lots of life stuff had to happen before I could really delicate time to the project but its finally the right time. Apologies for the delay!
    DSC00589.jpg

Rust Repair:
    So I separated the frame from the body and completely power washed the chassis. Good news, I have found multiple spots of rust but nothing that has rusted through! Bad news, a lot of the surface rust is in hard to reach places, particularly in the support towers for the rear suspension and the crumple box, particularly around the steering rack. There still might be more rust hiding but All of the visible rust spots clean up nicely with a metal brush. I’m going to do what I can for now and cover with primer until I get something to fill in the epoxy. I am still looking for any feedback or Ideas on the matter, but I think my next purchase will be a POR-15 Rust Kit.
    IMG_Ch01.jpgIMG_3067.jpgrust1.jpg

Body Work:
    After many nights with a scraper, metal brush and steel wool I have finally cleaned out the interior of the body of all carpet glue, dirt and sound deadening. The fiberglass in the car looks amazing but I’m starting to notice that some of the fiberglass tub around the rear is looking rather dull and mat, almost as if its oxidizing. I’ve tried a few things to clean it up but I may try to give it a polish.
    DSC00799.jpgIMG_bd1.jpgIMG_6875.jpg

Next Steps!

Engine:
    I have finally landed on a rather unlikely candidate for an engine but It’s a perfect fit!

IMG_7418.jpg
    Honda J32A3 V6 from a 2006 Arcura LT

The Honda V6 is widely regarded as a JDM LS because they're cheap, have a good amount of after-market parts and can handle significant boost pressure without any change to the stock internals. I'm expecting the engine will produce somewhere between 250-300HP naturally aspirated on a base tune from an aftermarket programmable engine management system, such as an AEM Infinity. I have more info to share as I start the engine tear-down including mechanical drawing for the transmission adapter plate, engine mount design and intake manifold.

Transmission:
    This is the one areas where I am struggling with at the moment. My current direction is getting a Subaru 5 or 6 speed AWD transmission and adapting it to be a reversed 2WD with a kit from Subarugears (http://www.subarugears.com/). A few people who have built Sand Rail vehicles with the same engine and drive train layout recommended this because it will be much better for street applications and the starter motor can be placed on the transmission bell housing.
    Still doing a bit more research before purchasing one, So if you have any experience or knowledge, let me know! I have seen a video on Facebook that an LS swapped Delorean has this transmission, but I haven't seen much else.

There is lots more I plan to update everyone on soon but if you have any burning questions, feel free to post them here or send me a PM!

Want to give a special shout out to user clenet and Lumpyd who was the original owner of the car!

Thanks so much for all for your feedback, knowledge and curiosity!
    there are two deloreans with subaru transmissions.

One is owned by Nick Holden in AU, 5sp turbo trans behind a LS1
    The other is mine, 6sp diesel behind a LS4.

Nick seems to have good luck with his. We both are using reversed ring and pinions from subarugears.
    Mine has been nothing but trouble. I came from a UN1, and i regret switching. I keep going through ring and pinions. subaru gears nor several local mechanics can find any faults in my transmission or how i build it. i have rebuilt 3 times in 8000 miles.
    I have since installed a porsche g96(g97 is similar) in another car behind a LS4 as well. It performs great, handles abuse, but i do not like how short the gears are. Mind you with a v6 in your case short gears are a good thing.

I would reccomend you steer away from the subaru transmission and subarugears. if you must go with them get them to build you a transmission and get it with a torsen differential. I literally broke my original open differential in half.
    Regardless of my luck with the subarugears reversed ring and pinion, there is a major design flaw with the setup, and it becomes evident with high power setups, not in the conversions of old beetles and buses with subaru running gear. With this new ring and pinion it was overlooked how the teeth on the ring gear are angled. It now has the drive and coast sides reversed, which leads to accelerated wear and poor high performance power handling capabilities.

send me an email if you want more info
    [email protected]
    Last edited by Josh; 09-03-2019 at 12:43 PM.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Tom Neiland "tommyrich" has already done a J32 swapped delorean, he has it coupled to an earlier porsche transmission. a 915 transmission I believe.
    Attached Images

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    there are two deloreans with subaru transmissions.

One is owned by Nick Holden in AU, 5sp turbo trans behind a LS1
    The other is mine, 6sp diesel behind a LS4.

Nick seems to have good luck with his. We both are using reversed ring and pinions from subarugears.
    Mine has been nothing but trouble. I came from a UN1, and i regret switching. I keep going through ring and pinions. subaru gears nor several local mechanics can find any faults in my transmission or how i build it. i have rebuilt 3 times in 8000 miles.
    I have since installed a porsche g96(g97 is similar) in another car behind a LS4 as well. It performs great, handles abuse, but i do not like how short the gears are. Mind you with a v6 in your case short gears are a good thing.
    Hey Josh, Thanks for the input! I've only heard ideas and speculations but I'm glad someone has actual first hand experience. I was definitely leaning in on the Subaru because it fit some of my initial project goals but if the failure rate is that high, I might as well stick to the Porsche. Obviously its not really easy find Porsche parts in a junk yard, so do you happen to have any recommendations? My next inclination was to reach out to Rancho transaxle's for a 915 case so I can start mocking up the adapter plate. I certainly have a bunch more questions so I'll plan to follow up with you over email.

Also thanks for sharing Tom Neiland's swap image! Hopefully I can get in touch with him to get some insight. After researching a bunch, I would of been surprised if someone hadn't already done a J32. I was thinking about a Nissan VQ35 for a while but I never liked the sound of the engine and fishing for one in a junk yard near me was tough. I'm hoping to do a few things different for my car, including fabricating engine mounts that bolt into the original location on the frame, shrinking the coolant piping on the rear of the engine and making an air box on top of the manifold so I can point the throttle body off to the side of front of the engine. I'm inspired a lot by Honda's HR35TT LMP2 engine.
    2015_Acura_TLX_GT_19.1___AM35_TT_Engine.jpg

Thanks so much again!
    3D Artist @ Wayfair LLC.

Status: Newbie - Apologies in advanced for a lack of knowledge of forum topics and etiquette. Thanks!

Hey everyone! Figured it would be good to share an update on this project. Thanks to Josh’s feedback, I stayed away from the Subaru transmission and was able to obtain a Porsche 915 transmission out of a ‘74 911. The trans was in nearly perfect condition, aside from it being incredibly dirty. It was more expensive but,it was the best idea to go with the Porsche over the SubaruGears conversion. By going with the 915 I was able to get an off the shelf adapter plate, flywheel, clutch, throwout bearing and starter motor from Kennedy Engineering at an incredibly affordable price (link below). Also, the original Delorean axles are a perfect fit to the output shafts on the transmission, but now I need to rebuild the CV joins on my originals. The best news of all is that today I was able to bolt the powertrain together and get it in the chassis! Now I can start mocking up the engine and transmission mounts and I hope can share my engine mount designs with all of you soon. There is much to go but this is a very exciting step in a project that's taken nearly 15 years, so thank you all for all of your encouragement, ideas and wisdom!

https://www.kennedyeng.com/engine-adapters
    Also Special Thanks to Randolph Racing for the transmission and advice
    http://ranrace.com/

B0B9208E-E4B4-42B6-92EA-0B95E7A4D5D1.jpgB0B9208E_01.jpg915_Dirty.jpgIMG_8498.jpgIMG_8646.jpgB0B9208E_03.jpgB0B9208E_02.jpg
    3D Artist @ Wayfair LLC.

My VIN:    1768

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Good on you man! still at it! love seeing any progress you get up to. Any set plans for the braking system?

Quote Originally Posted by vwdmc16 View Post
    Good on you man! still at it! love seeing any progress you get up to. Any set plans for the braking system?
    Thanks man!! I'm still undecided but I definitely plan on changing the stock system. Was thinking about getting one of those compact electric brake power booster master cylinders to eliminate running vacuum lines to the front of the car. I've been lurking on your build as well, your brake system is excellent!
    3D Artist @ Wayfair LLC.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3