FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Question about LCA replacement

Question about LCA replacement

I am having to replace my passenger side LCA due to failure, so of course I am replacing both sides.

My question is in regards to the springs...I think the answer is going to be yes, but I want to confirm to be sure.

Do I need to use spring compressors? or do they have a separate plate to hold them in?

Thanks,

Justin

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Well lubed spring compressors
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    5625

Does anyone have a current link to somewhere that sells the correct kind of spring compressors that would work on our cars? I'm about to work on the front suspension myself but am a little confused as to which one to buy.
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a DeLorean and that's sort of the same thing....

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

I've used these:http://www.amazon.com/AMPRO-T70570-C...ing+compressor

And I've also used these: http://www.amazon.com/Best-Choice-Pr...rut+compressor

Both will work. The strut spring compressors (second link) worked much better than the spring compressors in the first link. The strut compressors will not work if you have Grady's older style lowering springs.

Quote Originally Posted by Trstno1 View Post
    Does anyone have a current link to somewhere that sells the correct kind of spring compressors that would work on our cars? I'm about to work on the front suspension myself but am a little confused as to which one to buy.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

I think the recommendations so far are good. I rented compressors from Auto Zone. (I don't know why they call it a rental, as it's basically free if you return it, and you have 90 days, at least in FL). I tend to rent these types of tools that I will only a few times or just once.

The original springs were a bear to remove due to their length.

One note of caution. Before removing the shock, the LCA needs to be supported at the ball joint end, otherwise it can/will hyperextend and damage the frame.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

If you do a lot of work on your car, I'd recommend buying a decent set. I use them a lot on all our cars.

Best reason to buy? Planning the project, getting the car up and the tires off only to find out someone else got the spring compressors before you. Now you have to source more or wait for them to get returned.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    02075

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    I've used these:http://www.amazon.com/AMPRO-T70570-C...ing+compressor

And I've also used these: http://www.amazon.com/Best-Choice-Pr...rut+compressor

Both will work. The strut spring compressors (second link) worked much better than the spring compressors in the first link. The strut compressors will not work if you have Grady's older style lowering springs.
    I had trouble getting BOTH of these to work on my car. Not sure if there are differences in the cars or the springs, but I had trouble getting these to fit between the coils & when I did get them to fit, the springs were coil-bound & I still couldn't get them out. It seemed the compressors really needed to grab another coil to compress far enough.

I got this one & it worked well. The links go between the coils much easier & they grab all the coils I need. Also used it on my 2000 Trans Am front springs which were much stiffer & they worked well there too.
    http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/a...0555/9020066-P

Also, if this is your first time working with springs on cars, be very careful & rear up. A compressed car spring is a bomb....it can release & break things or injure you faster than you can blink.

DMC-CA cams & custom Flowmaster muffler
    1/4 mile time - 16.792s @ 81.45MPH

My VIN:    03572

I have Grady's old springs and it really took a lot of compression to get them out. I used an internal type compressor that goes into the spring after you remove the shock.

I think you can lift the upper arm link to get more spring coils to grab if you are using the external type compressors.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    I have Grady's old springs and it really took a lot of compression to get them out. I used an internal type compressor that goes into the spring after you remove the shock.

I think you can lift the upper arm link to get more spring coils to grab if you are using the external type compressors.
    That is the reason we changed the pitch (wider spacing) of our springs on our newest batch. That change makes them easier to install than the originals because they are also shorter.
    Rob