FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: These thread titles would have anyone believing that these cars are crap..

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Our cats may be 35 years old but we're cleaner than a VW diesel.

Mic drop.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    2347

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post

Mic drop.
    Oh SNAP!
    Everyone is tough through a keyboard

My VIN:    6125

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post

Mic drop.
    There is a car show later today that I'm attending and I had to chuckle when I found out the featured make was VW. They have been planning the show for months so it just happened to be an odd coincidence that all the news about VW cheating on their emissions tests came out a week before the car show.

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by davidc89 View Post
    Oh SNAP!
    More like:

Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    20034

WOW, 500,000 miles on the Holler's car?

As a new owner, that inspires me...it would be fantastic if you can get with them sometime and shoot a couple of instructional videos like: "Our Time Travel Maintenance TIPS" videos?? Or someone else that has 100,000 miles+ to go through some of the best tips and tricks for these wonderful cars. If there's some videos out there like this already, please send me/us the links to them!

Thanks!

Stan- PUSHN88

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Burns View Post
    I live in an area where classic cars of all kinds grow like weeds. Even high dollar cars like Ferraris, Corvettes, and Lamborghinis have issues. Just part of the experience with owning a classic car or an exotic car.

Learn how to work on them yourself as much possible and save some money in the process.

Deloreans are a lot of fun and I love them to death, but you just got to realize that you have to tinker with them sometimes.

My friends the Hollers have over 500,000 miles on their Delorean. I also have a Delorean friend in Seattle drives his DMC across country every summer with no issues ( and it's a three digit VIN at that!!).

So there is hope. Just got to give it a chance...

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by StanMan PushN 88 View Post
    As a new owner, that inspires me...it would be fantastic if you can get with them sometime and shoot a couple of instructional videos like: "Our Time Travel Maintenance TIPS" videos?? Or someone else that has 100,000 miles+ to go through some of the best tips and tricks for these wonderful cars. If there's some videos out there like this already, please send me/us the links to them!

Thanks!

Stan- PUSHN88
    There are not a lot of instructional videos out there. Go to youtube and search Deloreans. There is a lot of materiel here on this forum but it is mostly text with *some* pictures. It is a LOT more work to fix something AND do a video of it.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Who would ever write a question about something that wasn't broken?

"Hi - new owner here, just asking for advice, my clutch works fine, what should I do about it?"
    Well now I have seen people over the years who have just purchased cars ask what recalls should be done. And there is the plastic clutch line...

Quote Originally Posted by MSpieler View Post
    I agree with the point of views of the community here. All cars have problems and no one has all the answers, which is why car enthusiasts seek out forums and communities to solve problems and happily lament over their technical challenges. Dave T's point that we start typing before we try fixing it, is spot on but, I think that's just the kind of community we are because we all share the same goal of keeping Deloreans on the road.

I do think that the Delorean's movie star status and it's marketing principle of "living the dream," has attracted much more attention and scrutiny among the classic car community and journalists. The technology the Delorean tried to bring to the market was ahead of its time and after a few more iterations, it could've been incredible but, there was so much pressure on that first impression that any imperfection would of tarnished it's memory. But that memory has inspired so many people, many of which are people in this community. TTait said it best, we are a community that's totally involved in every aspect of this car, including its hardships, but it's worth it to us because we care about keep John Delorean's legacy alive.
    Driving the car itself has been the biggest influence of all. I once had a coworker comment to me that he was told all of his life the DeLoreans were unreliable, but after seeing me drive mine for the 4th year in a row, his mind was totally changed. And that is a big influence on people, just driving the car to prove all of the naysayers wrong.

Of course it also gave me my first "I feel old" moment when I met a guy at the track one night who after confirming where I used to live, made the comment that years ago when he was back in high school he used to see me drive past him every day on his way home from school...
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    There are not a lot of instructional videos out there. Go to youtube and search Deloreans. There is a lot of materiel here on this forum but it is mostly text with *some* pictures. It is a LOT more work to fix something AND do a video of it.
    Yes and no. Yes it's more work, but is it harder? Not that much. You just have to talk through what you're doing; which actually can help you to focus on all the steps you actually need to do.

I made a 12 part video set on how to disassemble and reassemble the DeLorean manual transmission and input shaft. I figured I needed to do the job anyway, why not wear my GoPro on my head while doing it.

I think it would be hugely beneficial if others would consider doing the same while doing jobs on their car. Pulling a front spring? Wear a GoPro and talk through the steps. Changing an otterstat? Wear a GoPro. Pulling the intake manifold? Wear a GoPro!

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    I think it would be hugely beneficial if others would consider doing the same while doing jobs on their car. Pulling a front spring? Wear a GoPro and talk through the steps. Changing an otterstat? Wear a GoPro. Pulling the intake manifold? Wear a GoPro!
    But you would need to "BEEP" all the cus words. Not a bad idea though. I have a video camera mounted on my ski helmet.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    3937

I'd imagine our cars are no better or worse to keep reliable, work on, or restore if stored poorly or neglected than just about any other classic car you see.

The reason I think people comment about the car being unreliable is because while a DeLorean is immediately identifiable, just about everything else blurs together, and no one would notice or care if a Corvette, Mustang, Bel Air or other classic broke down or otherwise wasn't driveable for the season.

I think it happens just as frequently, or infrequently, but no one notices outside that particular owners small circle of friends, car buddies or neighbours. Hearing about some guy that's rebuilding his Porsche transmission or a Corvette guy that's patching holes in his frame isn't memorable because those cars aren't memorable.

People seem to have memories like elephants with our cars and never forget something they saw or heard about them even if what they continue to repeat wasn't accurate in the first place.

DeLoreans make for good stories with your friends at lunch. Just think about how much any of us bring up the car in conversation, often unsolicited, in just about any setting. People don't care about hearing an equivalent story about every other blah car out there, yet their face lights up at the first mention of "DeLorean."

And being the baseball playoffs start today, a good analogy came from Reggie Jackson when he said, "they don't boo the nobodies."

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast