FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Please change you tires!!

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Because people do that. We easily replace 15-20 sets of them every year.

I don't know how in the hell you deal with steady stream of morons of that caliber.

Side note: While I wouldn't dare drive on them, I'd really like to rip the steel belts out of an old NCT or two to make some DeLorean huaraches and a belt out of them.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

Formally hmm252000

My VIN:    4099

Club(s):   (PNDC)

I did a caravan with a new club member last month. When we met up, I noticed they still had the original NCTs too! Once we hit the road, it was a long 200 miles with me constantly looking in my rear view mirror making sure they were still on the road. They returned just fine, but fortunately took my advice and got new tires right away. They never heard of changing tires based on age. They thought since there was still tread left on the NCTs, they were just fine.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

I was driving on NCT's till they were 15 years old. They looked fine! When I found out about the 7 year rule I got scared and changed them. When I put the new tires on it was like driving a whole different car! Those old tires gave a terrible ride, like driving on round rocks! Any bump shook the car. Now it handles well, absorbs bumps, and I am not worried about them shredding. I just replaced the spare too. Tires do NOT age well.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    [don't know how in the hell you deal with steady stream of morons of that caliber.
    That's probably a bit strong.

I would imagine most drivers aren't aware of age related issues with tires or even date codes unless they happen to have a classic car.

The vast majority of tires are worn through well before they get to 6 or 7 years old, probably mostly due to tracking and uneven wear so it would never be a topic that would come up.

I don't think there is even anything in a cars manual in the recommended maintenance interval section.

I know that I was unaware of it before i got my D.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

I think this is a negative side effect of the concourse mentality. Even if the car isn't really a concourse car, there is this idea that having the original tires somehow makes it more original and more valuable. "Even has the original NCTs!"-Not a value increaser in my book. The only excuse for NCTs to me is if you trailer a concourse car to a judged show with them, or you swap them out at the show. Its ridiculous to trade the safety of you and your car for some worthless judging or assumed originality points.

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post

I would imagine most drivers aren't aware of age related issues with tires or even date codes unless they happen to have a classic car.

The vast majority of tires are worn through well before they get to 6 or 7 years old, probably mostly due to tracking and uneven wear so it would never be a topic that would come up.

I don't think there is even anything in a cars manual in the recommended maintenance interval section.

+1

Even if you stick to the 7 year rule, that is probably biased on the short side (tire manufactures want to sell more tires) and they want to cover worst case (car sits in the sun every day).
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

I honestly do think it's a bit strong at all. Owning a car comes with many responsibilities, and merely being able to afford the costs of having someone else cover maintenance and repairs (warranty or otherwise) does NOT excuse you from the responsibilities of owning a car. Not just a classic car, but any vehicle. Just because you even leased a car and never have to pay for the maintenance or repairs of the vehicle as they're under warranty, that doesn't mean that you're exempt from responsibly taking care of the car. I know that educating consumers isn't in car manufacturers' best interests. They prefer to keep pushing this image that all you need are keys and a credit card to buy gas to go as long as possible. But in reality that's just not the case.
    My wife for example, in stark contrast to my upbringing, was not raised in a family of car enthusiasts. And when I met her, she didn't know how to change a tire, but believe it or not she DID know that you shouldn't drive on old tires, and actually knew how to read the manufacturing dates on the sidewall!

Awareness of tire problems has been going on now for about 20 years in the public's eye. It really started with the Wilderness A/T's on the Ford Explorers that suffered from tread separating. But it was a couple of years later that there was a large wreck in New York state back in the late 1990's that really brought the age factor to light. Somewhere in the DML archives is a link (though who knows if it's even good any more) about a story where some guy was driving with his long-term girlfriend in his classic car that had 20+ year old tires on it that were made sometime back in the 1970's. Long story short, he had a tread separation, and in the confusion managed to flip the car. His girlfriend was seriously hurt, and I believe that she actually sued him in court over those tires. That was the point where news agencies started reporting on Tire Age, and awareness really spread.

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Even if you stick to the 7 year rule, that is probably biased on the short side (tire manufactures want to sell more tires) and they want to cover worst case (car sits in the sun every day).
    It's not that tires can go longer, it's more like they're more apt to go bad quicker.

Now yes, I know that tire and rubber manufacturers refuse to commit to a specific age, and have left it up to car manufactures to advise people on what age to replace tires. As they say, there is no definitive formula to commit to for determining the specific age in which a tire should be used. They really just fall back upon inspection, and let the responsibility fall onto the consumer. They do advise though that environmental factors can determine the age. Yes, that is true. I've seen tires in Houston that have lasted 8+ years with no discernible problems. And in Vegas I would get about 4-5 years of use out of person tires, where my fleet truck would only see about 3 before they would dry-rot so severely that they became a hazard. Where you live, how you maintain them, and what kind of harsh chemicals you spray onto your tires for cleaning and/or dressing definitely impacts their life span.

In any case though, you've got to not only replace your tires, but people really need to understand their vehicles and responsibilities better. No matter what they drive.
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Burns View Post
    These were NCT radials.
    Still holds air and even has the new tire hairs on it! I don't see the problem. The hairs will wear off eventually.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    I honestly do think it's a bit strong at all. Owning a car comes with many responsibilities, and merely being able to afford the costs of having someone else cover maintenance and repairs (warranty or otherwise) does NOT excuse you from the responsibilities of owning a car. Not just a classic car, but any vehicle. Just because you even leased a car and never have to pay for the maintenance or repairs of the vehicle as they're under warranty, that doesn't mean that you're exempt from responsibly taking care of the car. I know that educating consumers isn't in car manufacturers' best interests. They prefer to keep pushing this image that all you need are keys and a credit card to buy gas to go as long as possible. But in reality that's just not the case.
    My wife for example, in stark contrast to my upbringing, was not raised in a family of car enthusiasts. And when I met her, she didn't know how to change a tire, but believe it or not she DID know that you shouldn't drive on old tires, and actually knew how to read the manufacturing dates on the sidewall!

In any case though, you've got to not only replace your tires, but people really need to understand their vehicles and responsibilities better. No matter what they drive.
    My point being that most drivers view tires as consumables, like brake pads and clutches. As they have never been in a position where a consumable has outlasted it's shelf life, then they are hardly morons for not knowing that it had a shelf life to start with. Do brake pads age out? Do clutches? Does paint?

Nothing to do with anyones financial means, until it comes to the point where an owner knows they tires are old but can't change them for financial means.

I bought a 2007 BMW from FL, with 75k miles, on it's second set of tires (about 3 years old and 35k miles on them - date code showed they were around 4 years old) Even at that young age, I could see they were dry, cracked and hard(as was every other piece of rubber on the outside of the car). It was easy to see that they were distressed. A new set of tires vastly improved the ride. Conversely, my TR6 has tires that are at least 20 years old and look like new - car doesn't move so it's not an issue.

Incidentally, I just checked that cars manual and BMW recommend changing tires at 6 years, so my comment about car manufacturers manuals was incorrect.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My point being that most drivers view tires as consumables, like brake pads and clutches. As they have never been in a position where a consumable has outlasted it's shelf life, then they are hardly morons for not knowing that it had a shelf life to start with. Do brake pads age out? Do clutches? Does paint?

Nothing to do with anyones financial means, until it comes to the point where an owner knows they tires are old but can't change them for financial means.

I bought a 2007 BMW from FL, with 75k miles, on it's second set of tires (about 3 years old and 35k miles on them - date code showed they were around 4 years old) Even at that young age, I could see they were dry, cracked and hard(as was every other piece of rubber on the outside of the car). It was easy to see that they were distressed. A new set of tires vastly improved the ride. Conversely, my TR6 has tires that are at least 20 years old and look like new - car doesn't move so it's not an issue.

Incidentally, I just checked that cars manual and BMW recommend changing tires at 6 years, so my comment about car manufacturers manuals was incorrect.
    Oh no, don't get me wrong, I totally understand what you're saying. Yes, most people don't realize until it's too late that they've got to replace their tires. Hell, I'll do you one better and admit that since engineering technologies have come into play with the mechanical design of vehicles and their mechanical parts, the lifespan of vehicles has greatly been increased to the point where we now see more types of different component failures that otherwise we never would have before. As in, long before the tires wore out, the vehicle would have broken down and not have been drivable anyway. So that risk (and many others) never had the chance to finally come to fruition. So it's not active in peoples' minds.

But yes, I absolutely stand by my words that if you're going to take on the responsibility of car ownership, you absolutely must know what you're getting into. No, nothing ridiculous like knowing what your torque specs are for your individual bolts and such. But yes, you need to understand that vehicles need maintenance, and you must understand the risks of ignoring them. If you run on old, or under-inflated tires because you never bothered to learn about taking care of them, and then they pop to leave you stranded somewhere, you incur minor to moderate body damage, or you wreck and destroy the car or someone else's property, or even hurt or kill someone because of your inattentiveness... That is plain as day your fault.

Every vehicle I've ever owned has had an owner's manual, and I've read it. For the used vehicles I've had in the past that didn't come with one, I ordered them off eBay. There is no excuse NOT to do this with any vehicle, and even many Driver's Handbooks or Manuals that you receive from the State or Provence you reside in when you first received your Driver's License clearly tell you to read your vehicle's Owner's Manual. If you buy a car that doesn't have you, you buy a replacement. That manual tells you, even the DMC-12's Owner's Manual, that you MUST inspect your tires for damage and correct tire pressure, as well as that the tires comply with the tire manufacturer's specifications. At that point you should say to yourself, "Hmm. What brand & model are these tires? Let me contact THAT manufacturer and discover what their specifications are!" And if you call up Goodyear to ask about your 30+ year-old NCT tires, I'm confident that they're going to tell you to replace them since their age has now placed them out of current spec. It's all there, and there is literally no reason that people shouldn't know this because of the chain of instructions starting with our licenses that would have led us to this knowledge.

And yes, brake pads do age out. My Left Front pad disintegrated within the 2nd month of ownership.
    Robert

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast