FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Please change you tires!!

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

You expect all of that from the public? The public that forgets to renew their license and registration, get the car inspected, CHECK THE AIR PRESSURE IN THEIR TIRES! Because no one checks their tires anymore the government mandated that cars must now have monitoring so the car will warn you that you are an idiot driving on a flat tire! The last time anyone looked at their tires was to wash them. Now you don't have to change your tire anymore, new cars don't have spares! Nobody remembers to change their oil regularly. I see cars all the time that are leased and the oil was NEVER changed. Most owners don't know how to open their hoods and if they did they would mess things up. About twice a year I see cars where the owner poured windshield washer fluid into the brake system. Why you ask? The message center kept flashing a warning, low fluid. Most owners of older cars DO want to know how to take care of their car and are willing to learn and get their hands dirty, not the general public who will buy a new car and drive it from gas station to gas station never doing anything.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    6585

Admittedly I am a realist, and know that it is a bit much to ask. By the same token, perhaps I am also jaded from years of having to mollycoddle some of the most positively stupid people on earth. But I am a firm believer that while understanding and kindness is necessary, just the right amount of shame will prevent someone from making the same mistake twice, as well as preemptively scare others into making sure that they don't do the same stupid things.

This morning, I kid you not, there was a broke down Toyota Land Cruiser in the far left lane ahead of the toll plaza. Shredded rear tire, rubber chunks all around, scrapped wheel, not a pretty sight. And then, there in the drivers seat was a panicked looking woman with her hands up. Looking all around her vehicle, with a cell phone in her hand. I've had blowouts before, and I know they're not pretty nor fun. But you have to have people start taking responsibility for their actions.

I remember one time I had a raditor hose burst. Why? Because I threw an alternator belt, and it cut into the hose. I didn't bother to replace it in a timely fashion, so I had a breakdown. That's my fault. Tow truck driver who came and got my car was talking with me as to what when wrong, and that's what I told him too. As we're driving the guy tells me that he's been driving a tow truck now for about 15 years. Started in San Diego, and over the years I was the 3rd DeLorean he'd ever picked up, but more amazingly was only one of handful of people who had ever taken responsibility for a breakdown. No one ever takes responsibility. Doesn't matter that there is a fuel gauge, people will complain that there isn't a light. And if there is a light, people will complain that they don't have a audible warning. And if there is a chime, it didn't warn them properly because it wasn't serious enough. And according to this guy, people would complain about that. That despite all the warning lights and sirens from low fuel, to no oil, or a bad alternator, it's always the car's fault for not notifying them properly. We should do what we can to put an end to that.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Don't let this happen to your DeLorean on concours day - or any day

Updating this thread:

A participant at the Concours d' Elegance in Hillsborough, Calif. suffered a blowout as he was driving his entry to the show on the freeway yesterday morning. I didn't hear how fast he was going.

The good news is there was no accident and he was carrying an inflated spare and the tire change gear.

The bad news is he was late to place the car on the field and the car no longer wore matching wheels/tires for the concours judges.

Per the date code the blown Michelin TB5 race tire was made in 2004 - 17 years old.

March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Typically if something happens on the way to a judged event, if you can still get there on time, they do not take off points for things damaged during the trip to the show. This is to encourage cars to come that may not go to shows often. If you are going to keep old tires the car should have been trailered. It is just too dangerous to drive at high speed on old tires.
    David Teitelbaum

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    PXL_20210606_124850425.jpg

Fortunately, we have a "Concourse" guru to set us straight on these things.

My VIN:    628

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Concours or not, anyone driving on 40 year old tires needs an ass kicking. I say that not just regarding DeLoreans, but every motor vehicle out there. I'll be damned if some clown wrecks into a loved one because they are driving on wires or dry rot.
    Jesse Baker
    VIN 628
    Black Interior, Automatic
    TNDMC: TN DeLorean Motor Club

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3