FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Looking to rent a DeLorean in S.F. Bay Area

My VIN:    2347

We know you aren't critizing the prices, we just tend to make discussion on the subtopics of a post. Good luck with your search and with your engagement!
    Everyone is tough through a keyboard

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by hobbes View Post
    Yes, I knew this was a long shot coming in, especially given the specific date in mind. I did research prior to posting on this board, but all I could find are rental services for photography, like some of you mentioned. I know the DeLorean is not just another car, and of course places like Hertz don't carry it, but I thought maybe there was some sort of specialized car rental service to drive these dream machines.

I'd like to point out that I'm not here to criticize anyone's pricing. I'm here to get informed/educated and possibly guided in the right direction.

It sounds very unlikely to get a full day's rent. My plans, however, are not set in stone. It depends on what, if anything, I can put together.

I understand I'll narrow it down.

"What i'd like to do list"
    -be the driver (alone);
    -show up to her in the DeLorean;
    -has to be on 10/21/2015;
    -would be PERFECT if i showed up at 4:29PM;
    -possibly drive her around. Not far, but just to be in the car together for a little bit.

If that's still asking too much, then at the least:
    -must be on 10/21/2015;
    -to be the driver (alone or accompanied), open the gullwing door to surprise her, and propose.
    Chances are though, she'd love to ride shotgun in the DMC-12, even if not with me.

What are my options? I'm open to suggestions.

I completely understand. It is a far-fetched attempt, but I have to at least try. That trilogy heavily impacted my life. As corny as it is, I couldn't think of a better day to change my future..

Thank you for your time, guys.
    Here's what I have done in the past...
    Picked a kid up at a local grocery parking lot.
    Drove him to his girlfriend's house.
    He called her, she came out, he asked her to prom.
    They took some pics in and around the car.
    I took her for a brief drive.
    Returned him to his car.

I wouldn't expect more than that.

While the DeLorean isn't "exotic" like a Ferrari or Lambo, it and many of it's parts are rare - It is an orphan brand. That being said average price to rent one of the aforementioned cars is upwards of $3000 a day for the first 100 or so miles and then $4-$5 a mile on top. Not to mention the $7000-$8000 deposit required. And this is from a company that carries the right insurance to loan out a car. Most insurance companies list DeLorean as a brand specifically not to insure for such services.

My guess, if you could find one from a rental agency you could be looking at a $3000 deposit and probably around $1500 for the day.
    If you're willing to ride shotgun and let the owner drive your new fiance (fingers crossed) around after, you might even get it for free. I didn't charge the high school kid...

Cheers
    Steven
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

My VIN:    3997

Quote Originally Posted by mluder View Post
    My guess, if you could find one from a rental agency you could be looking at a $3000 deposit and probably around $1500 for the day.
    If you're willing to ride shotgun and let the owner drive your new fiance (fingers crossed) around after, you might even get it for free. I didn't charge the high school kid...
    I would drive up to San Francisco for 4,500 bucks to do this gig if it meant that kind of money. But In all reality, yeah, I would be the one driving it. Its just too much of a risk to not be. And its not even the driver half the time, its all the other crazies on the road trying to drive and take photos of my car.
    Living The Dream Since 2005 - VIN#3997

I Could do this gig for you in a time machine or regular stock but it would not be cheap. SF area is a 2 day trip.

I'm always the only driver, as I'm sure most people would say the same thing. Buying my car is also an option

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Delorean-Tim...item1a079c8ff8

My VIN:    5482

Quote Originally Posted by zimvsdib View Post
    I Could do this gig for you in a time machine or regular stock but it would not be cheap. SF area is a 2 day trip.

I'm always the only driver, as I'm sure most people would say the same thing. Buying my car is also an option

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Delorean-Tim...item1a079c8ff8
    Hey you let Dolph Lundgren drive it!
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by OverlandMan View Post
    Hey you let Dolph Lundgren drive it!
    Ha! Not even Dolph! He sat there and turned the wheel : )
    He had the hardest time getting into that car. Dude is tall.

On the actual BTTF race to the scene episode with my car i did let a fully insured stunt driver take the helm. Tv companies usually have no problem getting the 1 million dollar insurance policy for the day.

. Sure no problem Mark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My VIN:    5778

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

So I wonder what happened?? Did the OP rent a Delorean and propose?

I would have drove the OP for free if it wasn't too long on 10/21. Call it "giving back" and if they were only an hour or two. Maybe I am sentimental for that stuff.

On another note. I don't think ANY owner would let you drive their car. Nobody drives mine, not even the gf. Not even a hottie news anchor that I let sit in it BUT I'll take you for a spin.

12106985_901988496553312_2455804641680270004_n.jpg

No offense, just being real.

--Doug
    Last edited by aotmfilms; 11-18-2015 at 03:48 PM.
    FB Page: #ProjectDelorean https://www.facebook.com/ProjectDelorean88mph
    Twitter: @projdelorean

"Back Before the Future"--the story before the story of a crazy dude trying to timetravel...kindof like expedia...only bumpier...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2