FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Looking to rent a DeLorean in S.F. Bay Area

Looking to rent a DeLorean in S.F. Bay Area

Hello,

I'm looking to rent a DeLorean for a day, possibly 2 if the price isn't too high. I'm proposing to my girlfriend in a couple of weeks (yes, October 21, 2015), and would like to surprise her by driving up in a DeLorean. This would make it perfect.

I'm located in the San Francisco Bay Area. I'm clean cut, I don't smoke and I have a clean driving record. I would treat the car with the utmost respect.

I plan to be a DeLorean owner myself, one day.

If more details are needed, please let me know.

Thank you.

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Are you expecting to be the driver or the passenger of the car? I ask because this is a major difference, especially in cost. You should clarify your intentions here.

Its one thing to ask a car owner to drive you around (likely). Its a completely different situation if your intent is for you to drive it with the owner as the passenger (a lot less likely). Its even more different if you are asking to have someone loan you their car so that you can drive you and your [soon to be] fiance around in it for 2 days (nearly impossible), which is what it sounds like you're asking for (since obviously an owner isn't going to hang out with you for 2 days). Remember, its a 2 seater so the 2 of you and the owner aren't going to fit, unless you're sharing the passenger seat like Marty and Jennifer.

On top of this, you're trying to find someone willing to part with their car all day on October 21st 2015? Not trying to be a jerk, just trying to be realistic.

Do you have a budget in mind for this? Are you prepared do take out an insurance policy on the car? You'll need to answer these before anyone would consider this.

From time to time I'll rent my car out for $100 per hour, with me there as the only person permitted to drive. Personally there is only one person I ever let drive my car without me in it, and that is my Dad. A select few close friends have been permitted to drive while I'm in the passenger seat.

Please clarify what it is you're looking for, and best of luck finding someone.
    Last edited by Nicholas R; 10-08-2015 at 01:26 AM.

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

I think you'd be better off asking for 2-3 hours of time, owner driving. I would never let anyone drive away in my beloved Delorean leaving me in the rear view. I rent mine for static display only at a cost of $250 minimum for 2-4 hours and it goes up from there. When someone says "that's too much," I have to laugh a bit because I know I'm the only game in town and they also clearly don't deserve my time because they don't value or appreciate what I offer.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    1121

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    Are you expecting to be the driver or the passenger of the car? I ask because this is a major difference, especially in cost. You should clarify your intentions here.

Its one thing to ask a car owner to drive you around (likely). Its a completely different situation if your intent is for you to drive it with the owner as the passenger (a lot less likely). Its even more different if you are asking to have someone loan you their car so that you can drive you and your [soon to be] fiance around in it for 2 days (nearly impossible), which is what it sounds like you're asking for (since obviously an owner isn't going to hang out with you for 2 days). Remember, its a 2 seater so the 2 of you and the owner aren't going to fit, unless you're sharing the passenger seat like Marty and Jennifer.

On top of this, you're trying to find someone willing to part with their car all day on October 21st 2015? Not trying to be a jerk, just trying to be realistic.

Do you have a budget in mind for this? Are you prepared do take out an insurance policy on the car? You'll need to answer these before anyone would consider this.

From time to time I'll rent my car out for $100 per hour, with me there as the only person permitted to drive. Personally there is only one person I ever let drive my car without me in it, and that is my Dad. A select few close friends have been permitted to drive while I'm in the passenger seat.

Please clarify what it is you're looking for, and best of luck finding someone.
    Well said Nick. I was thinking the same thing but you said it better than I would have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    When someone says "that's too much," I have to laugh a bit because I know I'm the only game in town and they also clearly don't deserve my time because they don't value or appreciate what I offer.
    I agree 100%. I've also had people tell me that it's too much to charge for "a car." I explain that its not just "a car" (if you need "a car," go to Avis). Plus its not just the car they're paying for, it's my time. And that is the value of my time. For less than that, its not worth my time. Take it or leave it, it's not a negotiation.

There is often a knee jerk reaction to hearing the price, but I think its because people often don't think about what they're actually asking for. Its like hiring a band for an event thinking you're just paying for there to be music. No; you want music, buy some speakers for your iphone. With a band, you're paying for the band members time, transportation, setup, breakdown, the use of all of their equipment, and all of the time they've spent practicing and refining their talent and preparing so that they can perform for your enjoyment.

The cars are the same way. These aren't 2 year old fleet rentals. At almost 35 years old, a lot of time, effort, and money has gone into every DeLorean that is on the road today. In addition when I rent my car out, day of I detail wash it inside and out, commute to the event, setup, attend, facilitate photos & gawking, answer questions, breakdown, and commute home. Its practically another day of work, for which adequate compensation is required.
    Last edited by Nicholas R; 10-08-2015 at 10:34 AM.

My VIN:    2347

I never understood that either... I've heard people say "I can rent a Lambo for that!" Well go rent a Lambo, this is a DeLorean... What high end exotics go for? I have no clue.

I have seen stuff where you can rent a DeLorean, a Google search might get you what you are looking for. I am sure its not cheap though.
    Everyone is tough through a keyboard

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    I agree 100%. I've also had people tell me that it's too much to charge for "a car." I explain that its not just "a car" (if you need "a car," go to Avis). Plus its not just the car they're paying for, it's my time. And that is the value of my time. For less than that, its not worth my time. Take it or leave it, it's not a negotiation.

There is often a knee jerk reaction to hearing the price, but I think its because people often don't think about what they're actually asking for. Its like hiring a band for an event thinking you're just paying for there to be music. No; you want music, buy some speakers for your iphone. With a band, you're paying for the band members time, transportation, setup, breakdown, the use of all of their equipment, and all of the time they've spent practicing and refining their talent and preparing so that they can perform for your enjoyment.

The cars are the same way. These aren't 2 year old fleet rentals. At almost 35 years old, a lot of time, effort, and money has gone into every DeLorean that is on the road today. In addition when I rent my car out, day of I detail wash it inside and out, commute to the event, setup, attend, facilitate photos & gawking, answer questions, breakdown, and commute home. Its practically another day of work, for which adequate compensation is required.

Cheers
    Steve
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

So, to the OP - you may have to adjust your expectations. 2 days with keys in hand? Probably not going to happen. Can someone facilitate your event? Heck yes.

Keep us posted.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

No insurance company I'm aware of will cover a Delorean when used for commercial hire by a private owner on a temporary basis especially if a person other then the owner is driving it. That is the biggest obstacle for anybody in renting out the car to be driven. It just isn't done except by movie studies or the like who carry special/very expensive policies to cover these things.
    Rob

Yes, I knew this was a long shot coming in, especially given the specific date in mind. I did research prior to posting on this board, but all I could find are rental services for photography, like some of you mentioned. I know the DeLorean is not just another car, and of course places like Hertz don't carry it, but I thought maybe there was some sort of specialized car rental service to drive these dream machines.

I'd like to point out that I'm not here to criticize anyone's pricing. I'm here to get informed/educated and possibly guided in the right direction.

It sounds very unlikely to get a full day's rent. My plans, however, are not set in stone. It depends on what, if anything, I can put together.

So, to the OP - you may have to adjust your expectations. 2 days with keys in hand? Probably not going to happen. Can someone facilitate your event? Heck yes.

Keep us posted.
    I understand I'll narrow it down.

"What i'd like to do list"
    -be the driver (alone);
    -show up to her in the DeLorean;
    -has to be on 10/21/2015;
    -would be PERFECT if i showed up at 4:29PM;
    -possibly drive her around. Not far, but just to be in the car together for a little bit.

If that's still asking too much, then at the least:
    -must be on 10/21/2015;
    -to be the driver (alone or accompanied), open the gullwing door to surprise her, and propose.
    Chances are though, she'd love to ride shotgun in the DMC-12, even if not with me.

What are my options? I'm open to suggestions.

I completely understand. It is a far-fetched attempt, but I have to at least try. That trilogy heavily impacted my life. As corny as it is, I couldn't think of a better day to change my future..

Thank you for your time, guys.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast