FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: An odd bolt on the camshaft retaining flange

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

11M is the correct size. Someone must have damaged the hex.
    Rob

My VIN:    4534

The rear cam cover was the first thing I removed. I read the note in the box with the sprocket retainer. That thing is awesome by the way. Thank you for having them made, Dave.

It's looking more and more like I'm going to have to remove the timing cover to get this thing off. I'm going to soak the bolt with penetrating spray for a couple of days and then try again. After that the timing cover is coming off.
    Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981
    Brought back to life - July 2011

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Try heating up the surrounding area, might help loosen things up when you do get a wrench on it, especially if someone used Loctite.
    Last edited by dn010; 10-12-2015 at 11:58 AM.
    -----Dan B.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    For this process he only wants to loosen it. If he wrecks the bolt the timing cover needs to come off. Don't forget to take off the rear cam cover too.
    Ah, I take it he's working on a cam swap then....maybe a quality 15°-60° open-end wrench (they aren't cheap, but...).

After buying a couple of sets of very nice (read expensive) wrenches I found that a 7/16th box end worked. For those that may run into this in the future, it's a Craftsman set of small wrenches that are thinner than standard wrenches. I purchased the metric set at first and the 11mm did not fit. I bought the SAE set yesterday as a last ditch effort and the 7/16 worked. This morning the bolt was defeated and the flange was lifted. I can finally make some progress toward repairing this car.

Thank you for all the suggestions.
    Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981

Just for the record and FYI Kenny if you still have the bolt check the grade marking on the the head. I would expect it to have an 8.8 marking which would indicate a damaged 11m bolt. If it has bars as a grade marking then someone retaped it to an american thread which would make reusing the cam a risky proposition as the threads would be compromised.
    Rob

I'll be sure to check it out once I get the head removed. I just loosened the bolt this morning before work but an outage kept me from getting home with any sort of light left to work. This bolt is only on the retaining flange, not the cam itself.
    Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny_Z View Post
    I'll be sure to check it out once I get the head removed. I just loosened the bolt this morning before work but an outage kept me from getting home with any sort of light left to work. This bolt is only on the retaining flange, not the cam itself.
    You're right I shot from the hip on that reply.The plate bolts to the head. With the timing cover off, or head removed, a 7m "Timesert" or "Helicoil" would be a quick and effective repair if needed.
    Rob

Even more fun that just guaranteed that the timing cover has to come off. I put the hex wrench into the bolt that's supposed to back the cam off the sprocket. I turned it a bit and found it was not tight at all. I used two fingers to turn it. Then I realized the cam was not backing out. From what I can tell the head is snapped off.

I'm betting that little bit of bolt is not going to come out of the cam without a fight.
    Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny_Z View Post
    Even more fun that just guaranteed that the timing cover has to come off. I put the hex wrench into the bolt that's supposed to back the cam off the sprocket. I turned it a bit and found it was not tight at all. I used two fingers to turn it. Then I realized the cam was not backing out. From what I can tell the head is snapped off.

I'm betting that little bit of bolt is not going to come out of the cam without a fight.
    This ones a headscratcher because if that large M10 Allen bolt is broken then the only thing holding the gear onto the cam is the timing chain preload. What kind of PO could round off the cam holdown bolt and snap off a hardened M10 cam bolt. Certainly no one I'd care to meet. Paging Mr. Hamfist....paging Mr. Hamfist!
    Rob

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast