FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Thread: Bringing back the BF Goodrich Radial TA in a 195/60/14

My VIN:    6472

Quote Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
    So I came across these BF Goodrich tires yesterday while browsing the website of a local independent shop where I just got tires for my daily driver. While the 195/60/14 size isn't listed on BF Goodrich's website or Tire Rack's website, it is on other online tire retailers:

https://www.tirebuyer.com/tires/bf-g.../p/tv100021155

No, this model tire isn't available in 235/60/15 for the rear, but it's the same brand as the Radial T/A which is available in that size, and both tires are classified as High Performance All Season. So this might be a viable option for some. The only thing I worry about is if these are discontinued, old-stock tires in the 195/60/14 size. Still, I thought I'd toss this find out to the community for further investigation.
    That's what I've been running on the fronts, with Radial T/As on the rears. All stock sizes and made in USA. I'm surprised more people aren't running this setup, seems like the best way to go.

My VIN:    6298

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
    So I came across these BF Goodrich tires yesterday while browsing the website of a local independent shop where I just got tires for my daily driver. While the 195/60/14 size isn't listed on BF Goodrich's website or Tire Rack's website, it is on other online tire retailers:

https://www.tirebuyer.com/tires/bf-g.../p/tv100021155
    I wonder if the out of stock status means they really are discontinued. This appears to be the closest US manufacturer match albeit different brand/product lines. Cooper has/had a similar situation. Correct sizes in different brand/product lines.

I was thinking that these very large tire companies might be more resistant to bringing back a combination of tire sizes that aren't commonly used. Does anyone know if Vredestein is smaller company that might be more willing? All they need to do is make a 235/60/15 for the Sportrac line, which already has 225/60/15.

I imagine the DeLorean vendors will have more success engaging with the marketing/sales organizations than individual consumers. I thought I read that DMCH was working with an unnamed tire company regarding their new VIN cars. Does anyone have any details?
    Bill

VIN 6298 - '81 Gray Auto

My VIN:    10644

Quote Originally Posted by Bill6298 View Post
    I thought I read that DMCH was working with an unnamed tire company regarding their new VIN cars. Does anyone have any details?
    They're looking at using 17" and 18" wheels specifically due to greater availability of tires.

http://www.newdelorean.com/aprilmay-2016-update/

Quote Originally Posted by BladeBronson View Post
    They're looking at using 17" and 18" wheels specifically due to greater availability of tires.

http://www.newdelorean.com/aprilmay-2016-update/
    Thanks. I totally read that wrong the first time.
    Bill

VIN 6298 - '81 Gray Auto

I wonder if the out of stock status means they really are discontinued. This appears to be the closest US manufacturer match albeit different brand/product lines. Cooper has/had a similar situation. Correct sizes in different brand/product lines.

I was thinking that these very large tire companies might be more resistant to bringing back a combination of tire sizes that aren't commonly used. Does anyone know if Vredestein is smaller company that might be more willing? All they need to do is make a 235/60/15 for the Sportrac line, which already has 225/60/15.

I imagine the DeLorean vendors will have more success engaging with the marketing/sales organizations than individual consumers. I thought I read that DMCH was working with an unnamed tire company regarding their new VIN cars. Does anyone have any details?
    The front BF Goodrich Sportrac tires are def available. The tread doesn't match the rear BF Goodrich Radial T/As though.

But at least they are the same brand. I'm considering going with these tires myself.

You can get the BF Goodrich Radial T/A Raised logo in white letters as a glue on kit for the front. https://www.tirestickers.com/shop/bf...ch-radial-t-a/
    Last edited by papanoel; 03-16-2017 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by papanoel View Post

You can get the BF Goodrich Radial T/A Raised logo in white letters as a glue on kit for the front. https://www.tirestickers.com/shop/bf...ch-radial-t-a/
    I had never heard of this. Sounds cool. Have you seen this in person? Does it look good?

This might actually be the perfect setup. Thanks.
    Bill

VIN 6298 - '81 Gray Auto

My VIN:    16409

There was a forum member a couple years ago who was trying to make this happen, but none of the vendors seemed interested. Seems like a no brainier to me.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

Quote Originally Posted by Chris 16409 View Post
    There was a forum member a couple years ago who was trying to make this happen, but none of the vendors seemed interested. Seems like a no brainier to me.
    I imagine the expected sales volume doesn't meet the minimum most tire companies require to justify the manufacturing costs that are normally spread across tens of thousands (?) of tires sold per (infrequent) manufacturing run. We need a tire company that has a business model that can tolerate low volume manufacturing. Clearly we'd pay more but it's not uncommon for some cars to have $1000 tire bills every few years.

BF Goodrich referred me to Coker when I emailed them last week. They seem to be exactly the type of company I am describing above. Is there anyone else in the US or from a country we'd actually want to buy tires from?

EDIT - So, these guys have the rights to manufacture BF Goodrich Radial T/A Tires? They actually have a 235/60/R15 but no 14" matching tire for us. If I am understanding Wikipedia correctly, they are actually manufacturing these tires themselves and only license the branding/style from the OEM. It's a shame they don't have Goodyear as a partner because they could bring back the NCTs if they wanted to.

EDIT AGAIN - Ok, this has been covered numerous times and I think early on in this thread. I e-mailed them but will move on.
    Last edited by Bill6298; 03-16-2017 at 09:12 PM.
    Bill

VIN 6298 - '81 Gray Auto

Reply from Coker

This is what Coker said.

Thanks for contacting us!

I am afraid not. We offer a 235/60R15, but nothing in a 195/60R14. However, we've had other inquiries about this and are currently building a log. We try to gauge future decisions on customers who provide written interest, so if you would like, I can let management know that you asked about this. I will just need some information from you to log it:

Name, Address, Phone, Email, Club Affiliation (if applicable), Quantity interested in, Size, Brand/Type, Requirements/Intended service, Vehicle Fitments, and any additional info.

If you can provide me with this information, I will pass it along to the powers that be. If anything ever comes of it, we will be able to contact you!

Best Regards,

Andrew Randall
    Web Sales

1317 Chestnut Street
    Chattanooga, TN 37402
    Direct: 800-251-6336
    Fax: 423-752-8712
    [email protected]
    Bill

VIN 6298 - '81 Gray Auto

My VIN:    00879 and 10903

Coker Tire

I was thinking about this the other day about seeing if Coker Tire could get BFGoodrich to release a batch of front tires for our cars. They are having a huge cruise in this April 1st weekend that I plan to attend. They are suppose to have reps out for customers, so I will bring this back up to them while I am down there. Wish I had my car on the road, because it would probably be the only DMC car there... one day.

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast