FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Bringing back the BF Goodrich Radial TA in a 195/60/14

My VIN:    10270

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    If I was going to pick a good tire to bring back in the original sizes, I'd ask for the Michelin Pilot Sports that were available up to about 9 years ago.
    Yes this, not older tire tech.

If we're really dreaming, a set of bona-fide summer tires like the Pilot Super Sport would be the most preferable.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    Yes this, not older tire tech.

If we're really dreaming, a set of bona-fide summer tires like the Pilot Super Sport would be the most preferable.
    Feel free to get the ball rolling. I'll contribute.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    10270

Unfortunately I think there's too much pipe in that dream. The percentage of owners even interested in such a thing is probably very very very slim.

I just can't forsee a high sidewall profile, small wheel diameter, low treadwear, summer only tire ever being made unless someone brought gangster money to the table. Especially in a matching set.

I have a set of the Pilot Sports and have been very happy with them, but I can still lock them up with little effort. I will probably +size the wheels and go with 205/245 next summer. If by some crazy miracle a matching set appeared I would probably keep the stock wheels.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

I am prepared to run the same drills with Michelin. Given how little time it takes to write an email, it's almost foolish not to try. We can't get upset over a lack of oem sized matched pairs of we are not prepared to put in a little effort. Plus, the effort is kinda rad. How great would it be to have a manufacturer say "you know what, we can help" and know that it was a result of your communities effort. We're lucky as Dmc owners to have such an abundance of parts and support, perhaps we've gotten a little lazy in going the extra mile, myself included.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    16377

Just received the following response from BF Goodrich:

Hello Nick,

Thank you for your email. We welcome the opportunity to serve you.

In regards to the email you sent stating:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just curious what the minimum commitment of tires you would need to bring back the 195/60/14 radial TA? The DeLorean community is very strong and there is a desire to have a matching set of all four tires. If the minimum is around 1000 tires (500 cars) that may be feasible. Please let me know.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    We appreciate your interest in the Radial T/A line of BFGoodrich tires, Nick. We do not have a specific minimum commitment of tires that would need to be reached before consideration of bringing a tire back into the market.

However, your request to see the Radial T/A in a size 196/60R14 be brought back into production will be forwarded to the appropriate marketing groups for future consideration.

We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing BFGoodrich.

It is our goal to ensure that your issue has been resolved or your question answered to your satisfaction. If we can assist you further, please respond to this email or call us at 1-877-788-8899 (toll free) between 8:00AM and 8:00PM Eastern Time Monday through Friday or between 8:30AM and 4:30PM Eastern Time on Saturday.

Sincerely,

Nicholas
    Consumer Care Department
    Certified BFGoodrich Product Expert

Thanks.

-Nick Pitello

Yes! By now that customer service team is defiantly saying "WTF is with all these DeLorean guys?! Where did they come from?!!!"
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Dave,

I also just called them. I told the rep that we will just continue sending in emails. He said that would push them to make the tires. Their Marketing department needs to see the demand for these tires and they will eventually make them if we keep pushing.

I'm sure most people could just set themselves a weekly reminder in their calendar with a copy/paste email that they could send out every week. With enough pressure, they will listen.

Thanks.

-Nick Pitello

Nice, Nick! That's the most hopeful feedback yet.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

No problem, Dave.

I'm doing this purely for selfish reasons! I don't currently have a DeLorean (used to own two years ago), but I'm currently saving up for another one. I'd like the tires to be available when I eventually need them.

I'll continue to send emails weekly.

Thanks.

-Nick Pitello

My VIN:    2347

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    Unfortunately I think there's too much pipe in that dream. The percentage of owners even interested in such a thing is probably very very very slim.

I just can't forsee a high sidewall profile, small wheel diameter, low treadwear, summer only tire ever being made unless someone brought gangster money to the table. Especially in a matching set.

I have a set of the Pilot Sports and have been very happy with them, but I can still lock them up with little effort. I will probably +size the wheels and go with 205/245 next summer. If by some crazy miracle a matching set appeared I would probably keep the stock wheels.
    It doesn't hurt to try!
    Everyone is tough through a keyboard

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast