FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Upper engine compartment panel fit

Upper engine compartment panel fit

Just re-installed engine comp covers---upper has about a 1/2 inch gap when closed from the rear roof---cant seem to adjust it any more forward---it is also a little low at the roof---when you raise the panel, it rubs the roof----also, I guess because it is so far back, it will not engage the lock properly.
    What is the correct gap at the roof/panel area------what should I do to correct this problem?

Thanks for any help/advice.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Loosen the nuts and lift it up higher (it will move in all directions). It's possible/probable that your roof cage is separated so you need to get the sunshade up higher.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Loosen the nuts and lift it up higher (it will move in all directions). It's possible/probable that your roof cage is separated so you need to get the sunshade up higher.
    I can raise it a little higher, but that still does not keep it from rubbing the roof panel when raised---what is the normal, or correct gap at the roof line---

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by leroyvette View Post
    I can raise it a little higher, but that still does not keep it from rubbing the roof panel when raised---what is the normal, or correct gap at the roof line---
    1/4 to 3/8 or so. Like the whole car, it's kind of an approximate fit.

Try raising it and moving it closer to the roof. It may change the angle enough to clear. If this doesn't work you probably need to screw the roof cage back down. I bit bigger job, but I have not seen one that I can't get working by moving the sunshade hinges only.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    1/4 to 3/8 or so. Like the whole car, it's kind of an approximate fit.

Try raising it and moving it closer to the roof. It may change the angle enough to clear. If this doesn't work you probably need to screw the roof cage back down. I bit bigger job, but I have not seen one that I can't get working by moving the sunshade hinges only.
    I had the same problem and drilled new screw holes for the T panel so the screws held it lower. The holes can be drilled above the original holes is the T-panel fascia since that holds the T panel down. Or drill and tap new holes below the original holes in the brackets for that fascia. I did the bracket hole change.
    Last edited by Bitsyncmaster; 08-17-2011 at 07:29 AM.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/