FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Side View Mirror shaking at High Speeds

My VIN:    10452

Club(s):   (DOI)

Side View Mirror shaking at High Speeds

Does anyone else's Side View Mirrors shake at High speeds such as 80KM/H and above? Is this normal for a Delorean? If not, how can I fix this?

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

I had this problem; the adhesive was beginning to give way. I carefully pried the glass off, cleaned off the old adhesive with brake cleaner, and then re-attached the glass with 3M emblem tape to solve the problem.

Farrar
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    I had this problem; the adhesive was beginning to give way. I carefully pried the glass off, cleaned off the old adhesive with brake cleaner, and then re-attached the glass with 3M emblem tape to solve the problem.

Farrar
    Its also possible that the screw drives and mountings in the mirror are coming apart or damaged, but again the first step is to carefully remove the glass anyway, so start there. Just make sure your happy with the condition of the guts before you tape it back in.

Consider wide angle mirrors as sold by the vendors or multivex mirrors while your dealing with this - They help immensely with visibility. In the D either everyone is already looking at you, or they can't see you, either way the mirror upgrade helps keep you out of trouble.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Felix_29 View Post
    Does anyone else's Side View Mirrors shake at High speeds such as 80KM/H and above? Is this normal for a Delorean? If not, how can I fix this?
    Are we talking side mirrors as in the glass or are we talking side mirrors as in the housing?
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.
    K-Jet: Causing electrical issues since November 5th 1955

My VIN:    1494

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post

Farrar
    +1 here. This started to happen on my drive out to Lexington. Once there, in the hot summer sun, the adhesive gave way when I opened the door and the mirror fell off.

Do as Farrar suggests.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steve Cosgrove, Vin. 1494
    "I'm Kicking Through The Walls In My Mind..." - Goo Goo Dolls
    On-going Engine and Car Modifications: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?50...Engine-Upgrade

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Most likely someone pulled on the mirror or it got hit by a passing car or shopping cart. It is probably loose on the door. You will probably have to reattach it. It does shake, but not so much that you can't use it. Those small, round, concave stick-on mirrors are handy to help with the blind spots.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Those small, round, concave stick-on mirrors are handy to help with the blind spots.
    David Teitelbaum
    Yeah, small convex mirrors like that are cheap and they work:
    http://www.amazon.com/CIPA-49104-Con...3647096&sr=8-4

Instead I have these on both cars, $83 for the pair...
    http://www.multivexmirror.net/Result...&Submit=Search

You also have the option of mounting something like this on the back side of the multivex ones, as it will shine through (but I have not done this step):
    http://www.amazon.com/Amber-Mirror-S...3647333&sr=1-2

The multivex look like they were installed at the factory. If I ever get a third car, I'll order another set of the multivex mirrors the first day.

My VIN:    10452

Club(s):   (DOI)

What is the correct procedure and tool for taking off the mirrors from the housing?

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Felix_29 View Post
    What is the correct procedure and tool for taking off the mirrors from the housing?
    A combination of a putty knife, exacto knife and patience. I've done it in the past with just a putty knife with a sharp edge on it.
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.
    K-Jet: Causing electrical issues since November 5th 1955

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    A combination of a putty knife, exacto knife and patience. I've done it in the past with just a putty knife with a sharp edge on it.
    Once its off there are small motors and gears that you can access for the electric mirror - leave some time to clean those up and lube them while you are in there.