FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: BTTF observations, rants, etc. (Console switches don't align? Voila! Problem solved)

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

BTTF observations, rants, etc. (Console switches don't align? Voila! Problem solved)

In the interest of keeping the console switch thread on track I would like the revisit the BTTF comments posted there as a new thread. It seems there's plenty of pent up opinions on the subject and this topic is certainly timely given the 30th anniversary yesterday. I'm going to open this with my thoughts on the whole BTTF phenomenon.

BTW I had a great time yesterday as I was able to sneak backstage on the Jimmy Kimmel Show and watch Christopher Lloyd doing his practice runs and watched Mr. Kimmel with his baby girl bend down and give words of encouragement to the BTTF star. I saw M.J.F. too but didn't try to introduce myself to anyone as they had their work cut out for them at that moment.

That being said although I think the BTTF movies are great and have created added interest and ultimately value to the Delorean automobile I hate for this to be considered the defining story about the car. J.Z.D.s concept for, startup of the factory in record time, and the actual production of the car is to me the real story behind the scenes. Keeping the cars alive whether as concour's entrants, garage queens, daily drivers, or modified and improved is my life's work. That is what floats my boat...not the hoopla behind BTTF whatever the fallout both good and bad.

I think way too many Deloreans have been made into BTTF cars and the demand for them will fall off sharply after this. The media will move on instantly to the latest installment of "Star Wars" or whatever else will be the next media frenzy. I think the days ahead will not be kind to the BTTF conversion craze and hope the fallout does not bring down the value of normal Deloreans as it took so long for them to reach their current valuations. Anybody care to share their thoughts on this matter? Josh B. feel free to insert rant here!

My VIN:    6585

I don't think that interest in BTTF will ever drop-off anytime soon. I've always believed that the reason the movie is so cherished by so many isn't just because of the story, but how people personally connect with it. Who hasn't daydreamed about what it would be like to have Doc Brown's time machine, and what they would do with it? That's where the personal connection comes in.

As for BTTF as related to the marque and the cars' legacy, I fully accept it. I also accept what happened in Room 501 and the cocaine scandal. I certainly DO correct people when they are misinformed, but I don't pretend like it never happened.

And I'm gonna come out and say it bluntly right now. First, if you own a DeLorean, you've got to be prepared for the attention, be it negative or positive. That is not negotiable.

Second, you need to have a strong sense of independence and stop caring what other people think. That is what the DOA's fucking problem is. They've been a group who for decades has been trying to play "Keeping up with the Jones's", and have been loosing. So their failure to just come out and say, "Fuck you! I like DeLoreans! I don't give a shit what you think, *I* like it!" has resulted in them kissing all their friends' collective asses and trying to pretend the car is something it's not! Trying to play the car up as some sort of exclusive luxury toy for the very privileged, and putting on airs about how only the rich should own it, and whatever else they've done... And then when that of course failed, they took their frustrations out on the rest of us! Yeah, I've had plenty of run-ins with DOA people over the years with some nasty e-mails about me and my car. And of course that culminated with the DOA severing ties to all of the chapters.

Yet this isn't a DOA-only mentality. This is pretty much the par for the course of people who want a DeLorean, but then get pissed that regular people own them because it doesn't impress their friends. So now we're trying to create this new generation of pretentiousness that is manifesting itself as anti-BTTF elitism.

Let's just get things straight: Whether you like it or not. BTTF is a huge part of the DeLorean marque. Many, MANY owners are here today because of it. Not simply because they wanted to be Marty McFly or Doc Brown, but because BTTF made them aware of the existence of the car itself. And guess what? There isn't a single thing wrong with that. Does the DeLorean owe it's modern popularity to BTTF? I dunno. Why is that so important of a question, and do you really want the answer? Because honestly, the DMC-12 owes a LOT to BTTF! Again, it was great advertising that brought lots of fresh blood into the marque that we need.

I swear, there are two types of DeLorean owners; The ones who want the car to be something that it isn't, and then take it out on the rest of us... And then the rest of us who are ideal DeLorean owners. Not because of wealth, resources, or anything like that. It's because we're eccentrics that don't care what other people think! BTTF? Sure, we've got that flux capacitor. Nice Ferrari, but do you actually know how to tune that K-Jet system yourself? We're always the ones proud of what we ourselves have done to our cars, versus bragging about what we've spent on them. We share the cars, and even toss out some hot wheels for the kids. Sure, we put up with some stupid stuff, and believe me I know what that's like. It's tough to put up with all of that, to have someone tear down what you've put so much work into. But hey, you've got the car. You get to go home with it, and they don't. Why is that not good enough? What will EVER be good enough?
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    5311

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

To quote myself quoting Josh:

Quote Originally Posted by DPI JOSH View Post
    It would probably be different if people were reasonable about it.
    I think this right here is the thing. It's the difference between the people who visit the McFly house in Los Angeles and keep a respectful distance, versus the assholes that go traipsing through the yard and get pictures taken at the front door. People are assholes, and those are the ones that make the most noise.

As for the car perspective, I love the BTTF movies. It's why I own the car. But as much as I love the movies, I have every intention of keeping my DeLorean fully original. People often ask me if I'm going to ever do a Time Machine conversion, and my answer is always the same: Absolutely not. The DeLorean is already a rare and beautiful car on its own. There's zero reason for me to rarefy it by destroying it to accommodate a Time Machine conversion. (And remember, this is coming from someone who absolutely adores the movies.) If a vendor feels the same way and that's the way they choose to run their business, I can very easily respect that.

I'm not saying that people shouldn't convert their DeLoreans into Time Machines (though it breaks my heart a little every time a new one happens), and I'm not saying people who own Time Machine conversions are assholes. I'm saying that there should be equal amounts of respect for the people who keep their cars original, and the vendors who choose to cater to that side of the market.

Side Note: I also have a huge amount of disdain for "prop shops" that have turned the art of prop building into a borderline mass-production assembly line business with no soul behind the work and try to market the business (and the lifestyle) beyond what it actually is. If you spend the time and effort to build a prop car on your own, that's an achievement. When you pay a company obscene amounts of money to stamp you a duplicate of something they've made a hundred times before, who gives a shit?
    Last edited by ccurzio; 10-22-2015 at 12:49 PM.
    - Chris

what

My VIN:    1983 canadian model

Quote Originally Posted by Accipiter View Post
    To quote myself quoting Josh:

I think this right here is the thing. It's the difference between the people who visit the McFly house in Los Angeles and keep a respectful distance, versus the assholes that go traipsing through the yard and get pictures taken at the front door. People are assholes, and those are the ones that make the most noise.

As for the car perspective, I love the BTTF movies. It's why I own the car. But as much as I love the movies, I have every intention of keeping my DeLorean fully original. People often ask me if I'm going to ever do a Time Machine conversion, and my answer is always the same: Absolutely not. The DeLorean is already a rare and beautiful car on its own. There's zero reason for me to rarefy it by destroying it to accommodate a Time Machine conversion. (And remember, this is coming from someone who absolutely adores the movies.) If a vendor feels the same way and that's the way they choose to run their business, I can very easily respect that.

I'm not saying that people shouldn't convert their DeLoreans into Time Machines (though it breaks my heart a little every time a new one happens), and I'm not saying people who own Time Machine conversions are assholes. I'm saying that there should be equal amounts of respect for the people who keep their cars original, and the vendors who choose to cater to that side of the market.

Side Note: I also have a huge amount of disdain for "prop shops" that have turned the art of prop building into a borderline mass-production assembly line business with no soul behind the work and try to market the business (and the lifestyle) beyond what it actually is. If you spend the time and effort to build a prop car on your own, that's an achievement. When you pay a company obscene amounts of money to stamp you a duplicate of something they've made a hundred times before, who gives a shit?
    Very well said.

My VIN:    6631

Club(s):   (AZ-D)

There are some really fantastic points above. In my case, BTTF was the conduit by which I was introduced to the car at a young age, but my obsession with the car itself started when I saw one in real life. I've got more than a mild obsession with both the movies and the car, but they are somehow separated in my mind.

That being said, I personally don't have a problem with the BTTF connection, and it has started many conversations just this week about the car itself, and not necessarily the movie. To me, interest in the car, regardless of source, can lead to purchases, and more active owners keep our vendor friends in business

My VIN:    2483

My question goes out to those who did buy the car because of the movie.

If BTTF used a 1981 Ford Mustang as the time machine, would you be the proud owner of a 1981 Ford Mustang?

What about a Ferrari? Would you buy one of those?

How about a Yugo????

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

I've never been a fan of collectible car owners, prop car owners, and even cos-players who don't do the work themselves. I think these things need to be a part of you... You have to live with them and grow with them. Buying off the shelf kinda cheapens the whole thing.

Cheers
    Steven
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by mluder View Post
    I've never been a fan of collectible car owners, prop car owners, and even cos-players who don't do the work themselves. I think these things need to be a part of you... You have to live with them and grow with them. Buying off the shelf kinda cheapens the whole thing.
    So - by that logic an Art Collector should be a Painter?
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    10201

I'm not a BTTF fan. As I said before I saw it in the wedding singer when I was younger which is what made me like the car. The BTTF comments can get a bit old, but having a painted one means I get a bit less. Although having a real BTTF fan get excited over my car is still a good time. I always feel weird telling people I bought the car because of what it is vs being a BTTF fan.

To add a little bit to what DMCVegas said, it might be a bit arrogant, but I always feel slightly better than the ferrari or mclaren owners I see. I still get excited to see the cars, but I cant help but think "well, you spent a lot of money to have something nice" I don't know exactly how to word it, but it's not the same as owning. Anyone with money can buy expensive things, but my delorean cost less than a new camry.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Quote Originally Posted by delgato View Post
    My question goes out to those who did buy the car because of the movie.

If BTTF used a 1981 Ford Mustang as the time machine, would you be the proud owner of a 1981 Ford Mustang?

What about a Ferrari? Would you buy one of those?

How about a Yugo????
    Or a fridge?
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast