FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Front Brake Rotor Removal Question

Front Brake Rotor Removal Question

I am having a really hard time getting the[front] rotor off the spindle. So far I have removed the large nut, front and rear at some point. I have hit it with a hammer a lot, pulled really hard, etc. I just cannot get it to budge.

Am I missing something? Or is there some special way to get it off? Or do I need to smack it harder with a bigger hammer?

Thanks!

Is the DMC a hub over rotor design?

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Justin51982 View Post
    I am having a really hard time getting the[front] rotor off the spindle. So far I have removed the large nut, front and rear at some point. I have hit it with a hammer a lot, pulled really hard, etc. I just cannot get it to budge.

Am I missing something? Or is there some special way to get it off? Or do I need to smack it harder with a bigger hammer?

Thanks!
    Stop Now unless you have a new front wheel bearing on hand. You need a bigger hammer or a slide hammer, but what's going on is that the bearing race is stuck on the spindle. When it finally lets go you'll probably see the inner ball bearings scurry across the garage floor never to be seen again.

With the inside nut off, you're setting it up to come off with the spindle still stuck in the bearing. That would be fun to deal with.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Stop Now unless you have a new front wheel bearing on hand. You need a bigger hammer or a slide hammer, but what's going on is that the bearing race is stuck on the spindle. When it finally lets go you'll probably see the inner ball bearings scurry across the garage floor never to be seen again.

With the inside nut off, you're setting it up to come off with the spindle still stuck in the bearing. That would be fun to deal with.
    Well you can always sell me new bearings say I got a bigger hammer, where would the best strike points be?

Google Slide Hammer. Otherwise you can really only hit the edge of the rotor, which doesn't do it much good.
    Dave S
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    5628

This happen to me. Dave provided me with the part....all the bearings ended up on the floor according to my mechanic. I understand the bearing is on back order. There is s crossover part number

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Google Slide Hammer. Otherwise you can really only hit the edge of the rotor, which doesn't do it much good.
    And after you get it off, you'll need to get the inner race off the spindle. Either cut/crack it or heat it up with a torch.
    Dave S
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    5180

Rent or Purchase one of these from AutoZone or an Oreilly's

http://www.autozone.com/loan-a-tools...ller/2050_0_0/
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Use the puller, i tried both ways. I just used a steering wheel puller, and it worked 100 times better then a hammer.

If you are replacing the bearing. Use a Press, These cars don't like hammers.