FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: VOD Question

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Don't panic. Clean it out with brake clean and you'll probably see it is just 35 years of spills and sand.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    Don't panic. Clean it out with brake clean and you'll probably see it is just 35 years of spills and sand.
    That sand is what remains after you boil anti-freeze. It leaks out of the seals, hoses, and gaskets and fills up the cavities. Just scoop it out and clean it up best you can.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    5835

Club(s):   (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

My VOD seems like it's constantly corroding. A few months after vacuuming it out, there are pieces of corrosion again. I do not have a garage and I do live on a salt water canal. That probably explains the corrosion.'I even get surface corrosion on my aluminum Peugeot intake manifold.
    Lou and "Boo"- The man you love to hate.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Boo" VIN 5835
    Born October 1981 - Brought back to life December 2011
    "Fastest naturally aspirated PRV" Delorean
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Blue" - 1985 Fiero GT
    3800sc series 2

My VIN:    5482

Alright I feel better now. I cleaned out the concerning area and so far, no issues. I'll admit, the panic was starting to set in. I appreciate all the quick replies. I went ahead and ordered PJ Grady's silicon hose kit with clamps for the Y-Pipe and heater hose. I was able to get 3 of the 4 Y-pipe bolts loose. The 4th I've hit with PB-Blaster a couple of times. I'm going to let it soak overnight and check it tomorrow.
    Jeff

My VIN:    6585

If it won't come loose, spray it with the PB Blaster like you did, and then gently tighten and then try and loosen the bolt again to try and break it loose.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    If it won't come loose, spray it with the PB Blaster like you did, and then gently tighten and then try and loosen the bolt again to try and break it loose.
    I will give this a try tonight. Thanks.
    Jeff

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by OverlandMan View Post
    I will give this a try tonight. Thanks.
    I'll assume you don't have access to compressed air but here's a trick anyone can try. Take a medium sized hammer and a heavy brass punch and give the top of the bolt head several sharp hits. Try to loosen and repeat hammer blows as needed. If you have compressed air using a small air ratchet at a low setting can often vibrate the part loose. The hammer does the same thing using a different technique. As someone already mentioned an inexpensive propane torch, to heat the aluminum pipe, could also help and would be a wise investment.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    I'll assume you don't have access to compressed air but here's a trick anyone can try. Take a medium sized hammer and a heavy brass punch and give the top of the bolt head several sharp hits. Try to loosen and repeat hammer blows as needed. If you have compressed air using a small air ratchet at a low setting can often vibrate the part loose. The hammer does the same thing using a different technique. As someone already mentioned an inexpensive propane torch, to heat the aluminum pipe, could also help and would be a wise investment.
    Rob
    Actually I do have an air compressor + tools and a propane torch. I used my torch (after soaking the stuck bolt with PB Blaster overnight) to heat it up a bit. It didn't take long and I was able to get it out without breaking anything. I now have the Y pipe and rubber hoses off. I'm starting on the cleaning process now.
    Jeff

My VIN:    6585

Make sure you take a wire brush to the bolt threads, and the a tap to chase the hole threads to clean them both out.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    Make sure you take a wire brush to the bolt threads, and the a tap to chase the hole threads to clean them both out.
    About that, do the bolts need to be sealed upon re-installation like with RTV or Permatex or something?
    Jeff

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast