FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: How Do You Separate Steering Col from U Joint Assy

How Do You Separate Steering Col from U Joint Assy

This a car for it parts only and I can't seem to get the U joint assy out since it will not release from the steering column. What am I missing or what did I do wrong. I will send an ice cream cone to anyone that can help. Thank you in advance

I hope the photos are good enough to show connection that is to be.....unconnected.

2015-10-28 07.31.31.jpg
    2015-10-28 07.31.40.jpg
    2015-10-28 07.31.50.jpg

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Did you free up the center slip joint? It looks like you have it mostly separated.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

errr...center slip joint?

is there some way you can be more specific, what is the center slip joint?
    Thanks

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

The upper end of the lower U-joint has a pinch bolt that needs to be loosened at a minimum. But judging from the rust I see, you will need to remove the bolt. Soak the crap out of it with penetrant. You may also need to wedge a thick flat screwdriver in the slit about where the pinch bolt goes in order to loosen the spline yoke. Once loose, you slide the upper shaft into the lower u-joint.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Thanks

Thanks, Dennis
    I will put your plan in action first thing in the morning and let you know how it works out.

My VIN:    #1283

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Tool for separating steering shaft from U-joint

I removed my steering shaft from the U-joint just recently (while converting from auto to manual) and I had a hell of a time getting them apart. There is very limited swinging space for a hammer or any other tool for that matter.

Eventually I found the perfect tool, see sketch. Steering shaft - U-joint separation tool.png

Some time ago I laid a tongue and groove wood floor in my house and left over from that project was a tool that allows you to lay the last board up against the wall. Once I found this tool, it was very easy to get the shaft to slide out.

I think Home Depot and Lowes sell it; or you might fabricate it yourself.