FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Front Suspension Removal Trouble

Front Suspension Removal Trouble

Note - this is a parts car.

Having trouble removing front suspension. First question, what is the best plan of action or series of actions to fully dismantle the suspension.
    I suppose it would be helpful to remove the knuckle and get it out of the way, I don't quite understand how the knuckle in the photo is secured. That would help with working space to remove lower link and control arm.

Any advice would be helpful.
    (I did read all the posts under "How to Guides" and went to about page 15 of general discussion and found only one, somewhat useful post that unfortunately, was just too confusing for my little brain)

Thanks

(also, how is sway bar secured? what is best method to remove it)

2015-10-28 07.32.20.jpg 2015-10-27 09.52.54.jpg

My VIN:    02075

Club(s):   (DMA)

No offense, but if you don't know how to separate the ball joints or take off the sway bar, then I'd highly advise against trying to remove the front springs. Compressed springs are very dangerous & if you're not sure what you're doing, you can get hurt pretty quickly.

But to answer the questions, the upper & lower ball joints are removed with a ball joint separator, like pretty much any car.

The sway bar just unbolts....it's attached under the radiator up front, & the ends are secured into the lower control arms with nuts. Once unbolted, they just pull apart.

DMC-CA cams & custom Flowmaster muffler
    1/4 mile time - 16.792s @ 81.45MPH

Thanks Justin

Well, I watched all the danger videos on compressed springs and don't really plan on touching those, just compressed enough to avoid complete mishaps. They can stay with the frame. I removed all rear suspension pieces with the exception of shocks and springs.

2015-10-25 23.11.57.jpg

and, I couldn't get the upper link on rear free so it stayed too.

I will get my local garage to separate ball joints as I have no idea what a ball joint separator is.

as for sway bar - the nuts on the end locking it to lower arm are stuck, stuck, stuck. No hand socket or air wrench has yet to free the nuts so I assumed there must be some other trick I am missing. In fact, I think I stripped the nut on drivers side with impact wrench - and I didn't even know you could strip a nut but it managed to round it off some after I ran the compressor to its limits.

Appreciate the pointers, avoids lots-o-head scratching and trial and error.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

do you mind me asking the vin off the parts car?

thanks
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Mad at You

I talked to mechanic on proper use of ball and joint separator - ^%$#@ easiest dam tool to use. Came home and separated joint in 15 seconds. Suspension apart. Done. Spring still in tower, dogs are safe.

Other side is a bit of problem. Nut securing lower ball joint will not move and that doesn't appear to be the easiest point to cut.

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Turtlebarbeque View Post
    ....as for sway bar - the nuts on the end locking it to lower arm are stuck, stuck, stuck. No hand socket or air wrench has yet to free the nuts so I assumed there must be some other trick I am missing. In fact, I think I stripped the nut on drivers side with impact wrench - and I didn't even know you could strip a nut but it managed to round it off some after I ran the compressor to its limits.
    Nothing special about the sway bar end nuts. Sounds like at least one of them is rusted on pretty tightly. If you round them off then you're down to lots of PB Blaster and maybe a propane torch or, worst case, an acetylene cutting torch. I don't think you can fit a nut cutter into the back of the lower control arm to get those nuts off of the sway bar but if I'm wrong then try that.

There really isn't anything special about the teardown besides what's been mentioned or you've learned already. You may not get every part out of it cleanly, as you probably now know.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior