FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Steering column bushing gone bad.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Sounds like you have the wrong/dried-out/??? bushing. Like Dave said, the ID is too tight. Odd, especially if the firewall hole is sloppy.

There is a split bushing that doesn't require disassembly and some cut the OEM style with good luck (SpecialT, iirc).

3M Trim Adhesive will hold it in place, but a PITA for the next guy to remove...

My VIN:    5312

I use tobys and its a masterpice. Also installed the borgeson beefed up steering joint while i was in there. WORTH IT seriously.
    - OCT81 DeLorean DMC-12 Vin 5312 "DeLores"
    - 1978 Lotus Esprit S2 "Problem Child"
    - 1995 Mazda Miata Turbo "Happy Daily Driver"

I repair Lotus's with DeLorean parts

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Sounds like you have the wrong/dried-out/??? bushing. Like Dave said, the ID is too tight. Odd, especially if the firewall hole is sloppy.

There is a split bushing that doesn't require disassembly and some cut the OEM style with good luck (SpecialT, iirc).

3M Trim Adhesive will hold it in place, but a PITA for the next guy to remove...
    +1 on the adhesive. If I understand correctly, he is saying that the metal hole in the firewall is worn/wallowed out from being driven for some time without a bushing in place.

If that's the case, I'd fit a new one with a good adhesive, while ensuring the area is degreased and cleaned first.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Agreed.
    I was thinking if there is enough firewall left for screws to hit, while holding the bushing, and the bushing still spins all greased up, a good adhesive is a better rout than trying to find an oversize bushing or repair the hole etc. And if a tight bushing/mild scars on the shaft are part of it, or not, he be covered either way...
    It'll just break in faster.

FWIW, I'd use a good rag and spray it with ether to make sure the grove and all gets clean and go for it.

My VIN:    4941

Cleaned it, sprayed it with degreaser, cleaned it again, and epoxied it...and prayed.
    I will let everyone know when it fails...

My VIN:    4941

Thanks again, everyone, for all of the help.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

If the car is driven with no bushing for a long time, the hole in the sheet metal can get quite enlarged, to the point where the bushing will no longer fit properly. The fix is to enlarge the hole and make a new piece of sheet metal with the proper size hole and either weld or screw it to the bulkhead. As for the bushing, Rob's bushing is pretty tough. It does not deform much like the original rubber one but it will last a LOT longer. I found that since the steering shaft goes through it at an angle I had to file the ID at an angle so the steering shaft would not drag so much. I also made a puller out of pipe nipples, washers and threaded rod to get that bushing in. The puller is necessary especially if the hole is not enlarged much. With a little lubrication the steering will be nice and smooth again. While the rubber bushing or the 2 piece bushing may be a lot easier to install neither will last as long as the Teflon or Delran bushing Rob sells.
    David Teitelbaum

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6