FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Is anyone here a member of DOA?

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Back in the day that was all there was. It was started as an organ of Ed Bernstein to promote Delorean One. It served a useful purpose but that was at a time when there were NO dealers, no support, no clubs, no parts. What started as a California club grew into a national organization. Once it started facing competition from other dealers and local clubs wanting independence, it collapsed. All it had going for it was the flashy, well done magazine which had less and less good information and morphed into what I called a travelogue of the California club's activities. It still has it's niche for those on the west coast and anyone who likes a print magazine but it is no longer relevant. The back issues of it's magazine are less and less relevant but that and the dues keeps them limping along. If you are anywhere near where you can join in their activities I would recommend you join. If you are not, then find a local group or form your own. If you can't find anyone nearby at least you have this forum.
    I guess you forgot that we've always been an original DMC franchise, always had access to parts, and remain a dealer to this day. We just aren't a DMCH franchise. We however are a DMC dealer...in fact the only original one left. Back then it was much more difficult and expensive to promote a small business at the national level. That is why Ed Bernstein started the DOA. It was a master stroke of self promotion but by default also promoted Deloreans and access to information and other owners.

That is also why DMCH comes out with some bold proclamation every three years or so to grab free media publicity worth tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of dollars. Remember the "plan" to buy the PT Cruiser assembly plant, and then much later the Solstice plant, with the intention to build "new Deloreans" alongside more of those cars? How about the more recent "Electric Delorean" production run of "one hundred" IIRC "new builds"? They had another company build just one example and then paraded it around for a few years at the N.Y. Auto Show and other large venues as a new build before unloading it to Google for a lawn ornament or show stopper of some sort. I'm not saying you couldn't build 100 of them if you really wanted to. I don't think it was either financially viable nor their original intention. Stephen learned his self promotion practices from from Ed Bernstein....the best in the Delorean promo business!

If I had half of their self promotional abilities I think I'd be a rich man by now but I sleep better this way. I've always spent more time providing quality service and parts than trying to market them. That is why I have a lot of great products in stock and in the pipeline that only my regular customers know about. I hope to catch up enough this winter to spend more time on the website to share some of our products with a wider audience. I must be terrible at self promotion because I've been doing this longer than anyone else yet half the owners don't seem to now anything about P.J.Grady Inc. or that we offer a full line of DMC parts, sales and restoration services. Even you Dave....even you!!!!
    Rob Grady

My VIN:    16951

Club(s):   (DCO) (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    If I had half of their self promotional abilities I think I'd be a rich man by now but I sleep better this way. I've always spent more time providing quality service and parts than trying to market them. That is why I have a lot of great products in stock and in the pipeline that only my regular customers know about. I hope to catch up enough this winter to spend more time on the website to share some of our products with a wider audience. I must be terrible at self promotion because I've been doing this longer than anyone else yet half the owners don't seem to now anything about P.J.Grady Inc. or that we offer a full line of DMC parts, sales and restoration services. Even you Dave....even you!!!!
    Rob Grady
    If you could find someone to update your website with all the product available, it will be great!

My VIN:    1569

Club(s):   (DOI)

That is why I have a lot of great products in stock and in the pipeline that only my regular customers know about. I hope to catch up enough this winter to spend more time on the website to share some of our products with a wider audience. I must be terrible at self promotion because I've been doing this longer than anyone else yet half the owners don't seem to now anything about P.J.Grady Inc. or that we offer a full line of DMC parts, sales and restoration services.
    I am very much looking forward to your website update Rob. I have heard you sell quality parts.
    Your best route to us European and other non local owners is marketing through your website as we are generally not going to phone and ask what products you sell

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by kenny View Post
    I am very much looking forward to your website update Rob. I have heard you sell quality parts.
    Your best route to us European and other non local owners is marketing through your website as we are generally not going to phone and ask what products you sell
    I understand Kenny.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

I guess you forgot that we've always been an original DMC franchise, always had access to parts, and remain a dealer to this day. We just aren't a DMCH franchise. We however are a DMC dealer...in fact the only original one left. Back then it was much more difficult and expensive to promote a small business at the national level. That is why Ed Bernstein started the DOA. It was a master stroke of self promotion but by default also promoted Deloreans and access to information and other owners.

That is also why DMCH comes out with some bold proclamation every three years or so to grab free media publicity worth tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of dollars. Remember the "plan" to buy the PT Cruiser assembly plant, and then much later the Solstice plant, with the intention to build "new Deloreans" alongside more of those cars? How about the more recent "Electric Delorean" production run of "one hundred" IIRC "new builds"? They had another company build just one example and then paraded it around for a few years at the N.Y. Auto Show and other large venues as a new build before unloading it to Google for a lawn ornament or show stopper of some sort. I'm not saying you couldn't build 100 of them if you really wanted to. I don't think it was either financially viable nor their original intention. Stephen learned his self promotion practices from from Ed Bernstein....the best in the Delorean promo business!

Rob Grady
    I didn't forget about you, Rob, but as far as most of the world was concerned back then, you were not a viable alternative especially to those on the "other" coast. D1 saw the opportunity and took the initiative and eclipsed you. In fact, you couldn't advertise in his rag, he considered you competition so he wouldn't run your ad for years. Since this was way before the internet and you couldn't afford to advertise, only those on the East coast knew about you. Now D1 is gone and you are still here so that says volumes about your commitment and staying power especially considering you are not part of the DMCH. franchise. Independent dealers like you keep DMCH honest and hold them to a high bar of price and service. Advertising is a good way to bring in a lot of customers quickly but "word-of-mouth" among satisfied owners, although it can take many years to acquire, is the BEST form of advertising and no one else has a better reputation or more experience, than you. The only complaint anyone can have about you now is that you need to move into the 21st century and get a decent, up to date, website. The newest wave of owners have a different way of doing business and they expect to do it over the Internet.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    1710

Anyone here know when the DOA's online store is actually going live again? It was supposed to be yesterday according to their website, but obviously that has come & gone.

I'm just curious because I've been trying unsuccessfully to track down a copy of the US Open poster the DOA used to sell. I don't know why I didn't buy one a decade ago.
    Louie Golden

My VIN:    0726

The DOA site is a joke. The site has worked 1% of the time since 2000. The store is never working. Its all volunteer work. the magazine is way overpriced and is very sadly poorly run.

If you want a poster, I would call someone if there is a contact number or email them
    VIN 0726

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by MML View Post
    I signed up back in July and paid my fee, but haven't received my membership pack or any magazines yet. I haven't had a reply to my queries either... I'm in the dark as to what's going on.
    I just just got a reply back from Gordon.

He confirmed my membership and is sending me the 2 replacement issues I'm missing.

Also the online store opening is being pushed back to November 16. Hopefully it won't be another false start.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3