FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: New Member silly question

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

you have to apply a vacuum to the backside (single nipple side) of the accumulator to see if it holds vacuum or sucks gas through the diaphragm.

whats your email charlie? ill send you a pdf.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    you have to apply a vacuum to the backside (single nipple side) of the accumulator to see if it holds vacuum or sucks gas through the diaphragm.

whats your email charlie? ill send you a pdf.
    That would probably be a good test but maybe better to just run the pump a little and then leave that hose in a jar to watch for any gas. But if you've got and original accumulator, replace it with a new built unit.

It would be interesting to know how many are still running with the original.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Delorean Guru

My VIN:    10757

Club(s):   (DMA)

To fix the hard hot restart first you verify the problem by trying to restart hot and then do the "plug swap". If that gets you going you replace the accumulator. If that doesn't do it you replace the check valve on the fuel pump. If that doesn't do it you rebuild the PPR on the F/D. I would not worry about that yet. Replace all of the fluids and filters and get the transmission fixed first. You can always get yourself going with the plug swap, it may not be convenient but it should work. As for the wife problem, join the local group and go to an event. Get the car all shiny and cleaned up. Let her drive it.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    To fix the hard hot restart first you verify the problem by trying to restart hot and then do the "plug swap". If that gets you going you replace the accumulator. If that doesn't do it you replace the check valve on the fuel pump. If that doesn't do it you rebuild the PPR on the F/D. I would not worry about that yet. Replace all of the fluids and filters and get the transmission fixed first. You can always get yourself going with the plug swap, it may not be convenient but it should work. As for the wife problem, join the local group and go to an event. Get the car all shiny and cleaned up. Let her drive it.
    How does your test determine the accumulator or check valve is the problem?
    Dave M vin 03572

Delorean Guru

My VIN:    10757

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    How does your test determine the accumulator or check valve is the problem?

One way to determine if the check valve is the problem is to temporarily crimp the feed hose to the tank right after you shut the motor off after it is good and hot. Wait 10 minutes, undo the crimp, and try restarting. If it starts right up the check valve is bad and if doesn't it is probably the accumulator.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by NewtoDMCRob View Post
    already tried the "its a great investment" route.
    It isn't. DeLoreans don't appreciate in value unless you drop a ton of money in them, and then you don't get your money back.

You bought a DeLorean for the joy of owning and driving a DeLorean. There's no other car like it. Ever. Period. Never will be. This is a lifetime's opportunity. Isn't that worth it?

Welcome to DMCTalk.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    It isn't. DeLoreans don't appreciate in value unless you drop a ton of money in them, and then you don't get your money back.

You bought a DeLorean for the joy of owning and driving a DeLorean. There's no other car like it. Ever. Period. Never will be. This is a lifetime's opportunity. Isn't that worth it?

Welcome to DMCTalk.
    I don't think I'd be that harsh... They at least HOLD their value. Personally I've found even modest investments of time and money can make decent increases in value. I spent one winter completely disassembling the major engine components, cleaning everything, and painting parts and the engine bay itself. My engine went from looking like a 30 year old engine to looking nearly brand new. If that doesn't add to it's resale value I'd be really surprised. Not that I'm ever going to sell.

Cheers
    Steven
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

I bought my car 8 years ago just planning I could enjoy the car and when I sell it get back what I paid.

Well I have probably sunk $5,000 in improvement parts into the car and I still think I could break even or better.

I think most of the owners that buy an average running car and do there own work will work out the same.
    Dave M vin 03572

who do you guys use for insurance? my normal insurance told me about Hagerty. for $30,000 coverage it was 390 a year. how about you guys?

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by NewtoDMCRob View Post
    who do you guys use for insurance? my normal insurance told me about Hagerty. for $30,000 coverage it was 390 a year. how about you guys?
    I'm with American Collectors with an agreed value of $25k. I can drive basically whenever I want and I pay an annual premium of $235.75.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast