FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: AC operational condition/problem?

AC operational condition/problem?

Just charged my AC, after finally getting 2126 roadworthy.Cools OK-- Fans both operate normally with AC not on---When AC is turned on, and compressor clutch engages, both fans turn on , which I understand is correct. When the system cycles, and the clutch disengages, the fans stop and the fan fail lite comes on---when the clutch re-energizes, the fans come back on and the lite goes off.I was under the impression the fans stayed on all the time the selector switch was set to AC---not just when the clutch was engaged. I need to know if the system is working correctly, or is there a problem----if problem, fan fail relay, or ???
    Thanks for all the help with recent questions.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by leroyvette View Post
    Just charged my AC, after finally getting 2126 roadworthy.Cools OK-- Fans both operate normally with AC not on---When AC is turned on, and compressor clutch engages, both fans turn on , which I understand is correct. When the system cycles, and the clutch disengages, the fans stop and the fan fail lite comes on---when the clutch re-energizes, the fans come back on and the lite goes off.I was under the impression the fans stayed on all the time the selector switch was set to AC---not just when the clutch was engaged. I need to know if the system is working correctly, or is there a problem----if problem, fan fail relay, or ???
    Thanks for all the help with recent questions.
    Is the car at operating temperature? i.e. is the car hot enough for the fans to be on anyway? Are you running a fan fix of any kind? i.e. Fanzilla, hervy 2x2 or grady grey box?
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.
    K-Jet: Causing electrical issues since November 5th 1955

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

The cooling fans will run under either of two conditions,

1) the Otterstat turns the fans on
    2) when the clutch engages on the A/C compressor

The key must be on in both cases.

The A/C clutch will engage only when the mode switch is in the correct position and the low and high pressure switches are set, ie, the right amount of refrigerant.

This also assumes the circuit breaker for the cooling fans is not popping, shutting off the fans.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    03572

Your fans are working as designed except for the fan fail light. As designed the fan fail light only comes on when one fan is not working and the AC or otterstat has signaled the fans to come on.

If you want the fans to stay on with the AC, you can buy my fan relay. It keeps the fans on for 20 seconds after the signal to turn them off. So if your compressor cycle is less than 20 seconds, the fans never shut off.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    Is the car at operating temperature? i.e. is the car hot enough for the fans to be on anyway? Are you running a fan fix of any kind? i.e. Fanzilla, hervy 2x2 or grady grey box?
    2126 is completly original---no mods, updates, etc. My question is at normal operational temperature, should the fans stop, and the fanfail lite come on when the AC clutch disengages?The lite goes out when the AC clutch re-engages.

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by leroyvette View Post
    2126 is completly original---no mods, updates, etc. My question is at normal operational temperature, should the fans stop, and the fanfail lite come on when the AC clutch disengages?The lite goes out when the AC clutch re-engages.
    Yes the cooling fans will stop, the blower fans stays on when the clutch disengages.

The fan fail light should never come on unless you have a bad cooling fan.

By the way, the fan fail unit will fail in due time. You should remove it.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/