FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Drove the car all day, then it cooled down and i needed to bleed the clutch.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Any amount of air or moisture can cause this. Flush and rebleed. Make sure nothing is close to any exhaust piping.
    David Teitelbaum

image1.jpg

So i bled the lines again. I checked to make sure the line was not touching the exhaust.

It was baffling me, so i looked at the linkage a second time.

I think these pins are bad. I just dont know if they are bad enough to make the clutch not work.

Mostly Harmless... refugeefromcalif's Avatar

My VIN:    6599

Quote Originally Posted by Some guy View Post
    image1.jpg

So i bled the lines again. I checked to make sure the line was not touching the exhaust.

It was baffling me, so i looked at the linkage a second time.

I think these pins are bad. I just dont know if they are bad enough to make the clutch not work.
    Those are your problem. I had a similar issue and a new pin fixed it.

Here's my post about it.

George
    George.

1974 BMW RS90 motorcycle
    1981 DeLorean. Cruise Control, Wings-A-Loft, Eibach springs, Spax shocks, Stage1 exhaust, Manual, Grey and Grooved, LED clock and fixed pulls.
    1993 del Sol S (With a Few, Upgrades)
    2017 Chrysler Pacifica Limited

Quote Originally Posted by refugeefromcalif View Post
    Those are your problem. I had a similar issue and a new pin fixed it.

Here's my post about it.

George

So the pins were bad, and i replaced them. That helped a lot.

but now the issue is back. I am going to replace the DOT4 Brake fluid. I am thinking there is contamination in there and that is causing me an issue.

What is the best clutch fluid to use?

Is there a flush or anything that can clean out all the old fluid?

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

If you suspect the system is contaminated the best thing to do is disassemble, wash with alcohol, and reassemble. The recommenced fluid is Castrol DOT 4. If the bores of the cylinders are pitted, corroded, or rusty, they need to be replaced or sleeved. When reassembling it is always best to use new parts. There can be NO leaks allowed at all.
    David Teitelbaum

When i was trying to bleed the clutch after replacing the fluid, i noticed my master cylinder was not releasing all the way. It was stopping about 1\2 inch from where it was suppose to.

So i took it apart and cleaned and inspected the rubber seals. The seals are about 2 years old, but still look great. The bore was like new, and very smooth. (Berry White smooth)

When i rebuilt it the first time, i used grease, then 2 years ago i used lithium grease and then this time i used the break fluid on the 2 plunger seals.

Did i do it right? What should i have used to lube up the master cylinder o rings?

I am just going to buy a new one if i have to do this again.

My VIN:    06668 81' Grey interior, 5 speed, Grooved hood. Previous owner of 16301, in 2001. Found Nov 2019, a

Quote Originally Posted by Some guy View Post
    When i was trying to bleed the clutch after replacing the fluid, i noticed my master cylinder was not releasing all the way. It was stopping about 1\2 inch from where it was suppose to.

So i took it apart and cleaned and inspected the rubber seals. The seals are about 2 years old, but still look great. The bore was like new, and very smooth. (Berry White smooth)

When i rebuilt it the first time, i used grease, then 2 years ago i used lithium grease and then this time i used the break fluid on the 2 plunger seals.

Did i do it right? What should i have used to lube up the master cylinder o rings?

I am just going to buy a new one if i have to do this again.
    Its recommended to lube the part you are rebuilding or installing with the fluid it uses. If you are rebuilding a caliper or master cylinder, use DOT 4 fluid as the lube. It is recommended to use Castrol GMA Dot 4 (now in a black bottle). use the same fluid in the clutch and brake systems.

Quote Originally Posted by hippieman9 View Post
    Its recommended to lube the part you are rebuilding or installing with the fluid it uses. If you are rebuilding a caliper or master cylinder, use DOT 4 fluid as the lube. It is recommended to use Castrol GMA Dot 4 (now in a black bottle). use the same fluid in the clutch and brake systems.

Thank you, this is exactly what i did!!! i am high fiveing my self lol

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3